Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Wind whistling noise driving me crazy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021 | 01:37 AM
Shawn Hong
Rennlist Member

Default Wind whistling noise driving me crazy. Please help

I have a 2020 GT4. Ever since I installed the RSNV wing risers I have a whistling noise coming from the rear hatch at around 70 mph. It used to start around 90mph, but now it’s starting sooner. I taped off the base of the risers with painters tape to see if this is the cause, but it isn’t. I’ve checked the rubber seal to see if there is any cracks or damage that could cause it when hatch is closed, but no visible damage. Is there any other possible things I can try? Could it be the rear glass?

thank you guys

Old 02-03-2021 | 02:04 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shawn Hong
I have a 2020 GT4. Ever since I installed the RSNV wing risers I have a whistling noise coming from the rear hatch at around 70 mph. It used to start around 90mph, but now it’s starting sooner. I taped off the base of the risers with painters tape to see if this is the cause, but it isn’t. I’ve checked the rubber seal to see if there is any cracks or damage that could cause it when hatch is closed, but no visible damage. Is there any other possible things I can try? Could it be the rear glass?

thank you guys
Did you reinstall the wing properly with the fasteners? especially the spacer that fits between the bracket?
Old 02-03-2021 | 02:13 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Old 02-03-2021 | 02:20 AM
Shawn Hong
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mr965
yes made sure those were on. Used a torque wrench to 8nm. Have not tried repositioning the wing to see if that makes a difference. I just recently installed another one for my friend and he says there is no noise.

Last edited by Shawn Hong; 02-03-2021 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-03-2021 | 03:13 AM
Shawn Hong
Rennlist Member

Just got done driving around with rear hatch glass and hatch itself completely sealed off with painters tape. I still hear the noise just as loud.

Last edited by Shawn Hong; 02-03-2021 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2021 | 05:52 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Do you have paint protection film anywhere back there? I know in 2 of my previous cars the film on the mirrors whistled like crazy and i removed it. Voila whistle gone
Old 02-03-2021 | 06:19 AM
Shawn Hong
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Do you have paint protection film anywhere back there? I know in 2 of my previous cars the film on the mirrors whistled like crazy and i removed it. Voila whistle gone
yes on the whole car, but I drove it around for about 1000+ miles after install and don’t recall ever hearing it. I’ll definitely look into this. Thanks
Old 02-03-2021 | 06:22 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

yes on the whole car, but I drove it around for about 1000+ miles after install and don’t recall ever hearing it. I’ll definitely look into this. Thanks
the wing changes the aero and hence where the air hits. You can try taping across some of the film edges and see if you can isolate it. Hopefully you dont need to remove a big film piece
Old 02-03-2021 | 11:07 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

thank you guys
Shawn,

This is just another member throwing out something you might wish to consider.

Remove the RSNV wing risers and then drive the car with the Porsche Original Risers.
If there is no additional Wind-Noise other than like it was around 90 MPH ???

Then personally I'd sale the RSNV wing risers and live with the stock mounts.

I've done all sorts of changes/modifications since back in the mid 60's.
And that's on all different models of cars/trucks.
Sometimes even though the changes were "Suppose" to be 1st Class they were anything but that.
I would go back to the way things were and sale whatever it was I tried that didn't do what they were suppose to.

Personally, and only speaking for myself.
I'd rather have the GT4 the way Porsche produced it where I wasn't having to live with something "Annoying" the majority of the time.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-03-2021 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dr.Bill (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021 | 02:35 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

It's unlikely, but just more ideas just in case:

- Air entering the gap between the hatch and the body and creating a whistle against the plastic bolt covers that were removed and replaced during install
- Angle of wing adjusted from stock position—are both sides even/symmetrical in angle?
- Unbolt and re-affix wing to see if there's a slight offset in vertical angle of risers

I can't think of anything else as the install process doesn't seem to require adjustment or removal of any other elements.
Old 02-03-2021 | 02:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

It's the universe's way of telling you to take off the wing risers...
The following 6 users liked this post by Archimedes:
AlexCeres (02-04-2021), Fxanimator1 (02-03-2021), JohnC4S (02-03-2021), mjw930 (02-03-2021), phefner (02-03-2021), tigerhonaker (02-04-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-03-2021 | 05:09 PM
RSNV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We'll stand by this and make it right. I've only heard 1 prior report of this and the customer determined it was not the risers. Not saying it's impossible, but highly rare and needs to be pinpointed to find a solution.

Our suggestion is to try tape as you said. Try covering any gaps in the slits of the bases, one at a time to pinpoint it. We'll send replacement adhesive strips for the bases at no charge to any customer who needs to reseat their bases.

We have these on 200+ GT4's with no whistling. Not saying this couldn't happen - we absolutely want to help you solve this or would allow you to return them to us. Or we can also send you replacements. But, we need to pinpoint what's happening so we can solve it together.

If you haven't tried changing the wing angle, try that next. I agree on trying the tape on the bolt hole areas or putting the covers back on. Beyond that, we'd need to test stock risers to confirm it's from the risers. To me, it feels very unlikely to be the physical upright itself, seems more likely to be something related to hardware pieces, base cover openings, etc.

We can also always be reached via email for support! info@rsnv.co

rsnv.co

Last edited by RSNV; 02-03-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2021 | 06:21 PM
Shawn Hong
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSNV
We'll stand by this and make it right. I've only heard 1 prior report of this and the customer determined it was not the risers. Not saying it's impossible, but highly rare and needs to be pinpointed to find a solution.

Our suggestion is to try tape as you said. Try covering any gaps in the slits of the bases, one at a time to pinpoint it. We'll send replacement adhesive strips for the bases at no charge to any customer who needs to reseat their bases.

We have these on 200+ GT4's with no whistling. Not saying this couldn't happen - we absolutely want to help you solve this or would allow you to return them to us. Or we can also send you replacements. But, we need to pinpoint what's happening so we can solve it together.

If you haven't tried changing the wing angle, try that next. I agree on trying the tape on the bolt hole areas or putting the covers back on. Beyond that, we'd need to test stock risers to confirm it's from the risers. To me, it feels very unlikely to be the physical upright itself, seems more likely to be something related to hardware pieces, base cover openings, etc.

We can also always be reached via email for support! info@rsnv.co
thanks for the awesome customer service. I already got the replacement adhesive. Big thumbs up to your service.

I’ve taped off the gaps of the rear hatch, edges of rear glass, base of riser, cleaned and reapplied the adhesive for side covers. I’m completely lost at this point. Only thing left I can think of is get a go pro mount it to the rear hatch and see if the same noise can be heard outside.
Old 02-03-2021 | 07:26 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

thanks for the awesome customer service. I already got the replacement adhesive. Big thumbs up to your service.

I’ve taped off the gaps of the rear hatch, edges of rear glass, base of riser, cleaned and reapplied the adhesive for side covers. I’m completely lost at this point. Only thing left I can think of is get a go pro mount it to the rear hatch and see if the same noise can be heard outside.
This is very simple to figure out. Take off the risers and see if the sound is still there.
Old 02-04-2021 | 12:48 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Try to just remove the wing only as that is quick and simple. That will hence delete any questions about the wing or its position if you still get the noise.

Quick Reply: Wind whistling noise driving me crazy. Please help