Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Leather with racetex interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 10:14 AM
boss2k
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Leather with racetex interior

Looking at a new GTS which seems to have all my configs except it has leather with racetex interior , how are the racetex seats, steering wheel and gear shifter ? Do you like it for people who bought with racetex interior?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2021, 10:37 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Not a fan of alcantara/race-tex, especially on steering wheels and shift *****. Headliners, seat inserts and door cards, ok, I guess.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:23 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 943 Posts

Do a search for alcantara... So many post... just with anything Porsche it’s a love hate can of worms discussion. I’m in the Love ❤️ camp.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanMatt (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 11:27 AM
boss2k
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

So is alacantra = racetex , is it the same stuff exactly?

I don't mind them on the seat inserts but definitely prefer leather on steering wheel and gear shifter
Old 01-25-2021, 11:41 AM
rjag2034
Racer

Received 394 Likes on 208 Posts

I have the leather race tex interior. I opted for the leather GT steering wheel and don’t regret it. The race Tex seat centres are very comfortable and look great especially with the door panels etc. I wasn’t sure when ordering it but am glad I did.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:42 AM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
So is alacantra = racetex , is it the same stuff exactly?

I don't mind them on the seat inserts but definitely prefer leather on steering wheel and gear shifter
2020 GT4 and Spyder models had Alcantara trim, which is a brand name fake suede material made in Italy. Real brand name Alcantara has been used in race cars for decades because it has fire-retardant properties and is light weight..

But for 2021, Porsche switched to their own brand of fake suede, which they call RaceTex. It is basically the same consistency as brand name Alcantara. This is extremely confusing because Porsche also has a regular seat fabric that is not suede-like which they also call RaceTex. For example, the non-suede RaceTex is available on the Cayman/Boxster T model seats. But Porsche are calling all these synthetic fabrics all the same thing because... reasons??? .
Old 01-25-2021, 11:47 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
But for 2021, Porsche switched to their own brand of fake suede, which they call RaceTex. It is basically the same consistency as brand name Alcantara. This is extremely confusing because Porsche also has a regular seat fabric that is not suede-like which they also call RaceTex. For example, the non-suede RaceTex is available on the Cayman/Boxster T model seats. But Porsche are calling all these synthetic fabrics all the same thing because... reasons??? .
The other, non-ultrasuede material is actually called Sport-Tex. Still somewhat confusing.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:56 AM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 355 Posts

^^^ Thank you! My error - I was obviously confused.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:08 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

I have the best of both worlds for me. I love how the leather/race tex interior looks, but I hate how the race tex/alcantara feels to the touch. So I have the leather steering wheel and shifter. It is nice to have the race tex seat inserts in my LWBS (no heat/ventilation) as it doesn't get too cold/hot compared to leather IMO.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:50 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

I ordered leather and race Tex interior but I got the steering wheel in leather. Past Alcantera steering wheels I had did not hold up well.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:39 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm in the hate camp, partly because I prefer leather, and partly because I dislike that Porsche markets the stuff, whether Alcantara, Race-Tex or Sport-tex, as a "premium" interior covering. Yes, Alcantara is somewhat expensive, but not as much as leather, and all of these are synthetic materials, which I consider the modern version of Naugahyde, remember that? I see the advantage for racing, but my car will likely never see the track, and should it I'll be wearing gloves. Personal preference, I respect anyone's preference but I just stated mine.
Paiceyfan (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 10:48 AM
Fxanimator1
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
Looking at a new GTS which seems to have all my configs except it has leather with racetex interior , how are the racetex seats, steering wheel and gear shifter ? Do you like it for people who bought with racetex interior?

Thanks
I love it! I just had the leather steering wheel and shift **** in my previous 718 Cayman, and I much prefer the feel of Alcantara/Race-Tex, especially the seats.
n4v4nod (01-26-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 10:06 AM
2seats
Racer

Received 232 Likes on 122 Posts

I don’t like the imitation suede for a daily driver simply because leather is easy to wipe down and clean. The imitation suede can be cleaned but if you do it incorrectly you will leave a spot. You basically have to clean an entire panel with the correct product and then fluff the nap back up. I’m also not a fan of getting fabric wet because it just leads to mold.

When I found my car it had leather race Tex interior but it had the option for leather steering wheel and PDk shifter.

I was fine with this because it’s not my daily driver.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:52 AM
REDCOMET
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

I was worried about the alcantara interior too on my old GTS (alcantara on steering wheel & shift ****). After having the car for 2 years, it still hold very well and didn't see any bit of degrading. And actually my wife always many scratches on leather steering with her rings and nails on my other cars and almost border me but never be a problem with alcantara steering wheel. Even if the steering wheels & shift **** worn out in 3-4 years, it is still not that bad to replace with a new one. So when I order my new GTS 4.0 I stay with the race-tex.

Quick Reply: Leather with racetex interior