Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Brake caliper color change

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021 | 03:59 PM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Default Brake caliper color change

Hello, I have steel brakes with black calipers, and wanted to change them to yellow.
What is the best method (paint, powder coat, option 3, 4, etc)?
What is the avg. cost?

Thank you
Old 01-22-2021 | 04:28 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Powder coat and get some local expertise from a car club or something because finding a shop with a great reputation for doing the work is the most critical step. Unless it is a full service shop, most folks that can do the powder coating work will require you to bring them the calipers off the car. I would expect ~ $1000 for the caliper work plus whatever shop charge you have to pay unless you can do the removal/reassembly yourself. Oh, and ignore the folks screaming at you for painting non PCCB brakes yellow...do what works for you I've seen folks tape and spray high temp spray paint but I've never seen that end well.
Old 01-22-2021 | 04:52 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beemerb0y
Hello, I have steel brakes with black calipers, and wanted to change them to yellow.
What is the avg. cost?

Thank you
Working on the project now in the off season doing powder coating of orange on a MB GT4. The calipers will need a set of seals when rebuilt as I understand do not have a final price yet.
Old 01-22-2021 | 05:16 PM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
Working on the project now in the off season doing powder coating of orange on a MB GT4. The calipers will need a set of seals when rebuilt as I understand do not have a final price yet.
i was trying to stay away from powder coat for this reason..dont want to mess with taking apart a perfect set of calipers and deal with new seals etc.

I see there are some threads where folks have had their calipers painted, even without removal from the car, with great results

maybe a vendor can chime in who provides this service
Old 01-22-2021 | 05:30 PM
ShiGureKaiSei
Advanced

I saw some guy using liquid wrap for the brake caliper.
https://thedipdr.com/wheels-and-calipers/
just give you some idea. in case someday you feel boring with yellow caliper.
The following users liked this post:
FASTRKMAN (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021 | 05:34 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

i was trying to stay away from powder coat for this reason..dont want to mess with taking apart a perfect set of calipers and deal with new seals etc.

I see there are some threads where folks have had their calipers painted, even without removal from the car, with great results

maybe a vendor can chime in who provides this service
Interesting the pros I talked too would not do it unless disassembled. After all for some its a forever car to be done right the first time. But interested to hear back from what you find out reach out in your local!

Last edited by FASTRKMAN; 01-22-2021 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Fat finger typing:)
Old 01-22-2021 | 05:37 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShiGureKaiSei
I saw some guy using liquid wrap for the brake caliper.
https://thedipdr.com/wheels-and-calipers/
just give you some idea. in case someday you feel boring with yellow caliper.
Nice!!
Old 01-23-2021 | 12:40 PM
No Name
Advanced

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
Fastrk, you are doing the caliper color change yourself? Can you explain a little bit more?
Old 01-23-2021 | 01:55 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No Name
Fastrk, you are doing the caliper color change yourself? Can you explain a little bit more?
I'm the designer/coordinator/financier only my speed shop and paint shop are going to be doing the real work. Wrestling whether to keep it in the family with P orange(lava?) or go McLaren orange for the pop. I know I'm opening a can of ? with this but any opinions on other orange shades will be considered so RL's let me know your thoughts. Your ? leads to me think that I should create a thread about the project once done to help others considering it.
Booth9999 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-23-2021 | 04:51 PM
jfh342
Rennlist Member

What is the avg. cost?

Thank you
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/Spyder black calipers are now a $900 option. Why change them?
Old 01-23-2021 | 05:12 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfh342
#becausemod
Old 01-23-2021 | 06:18 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Powder coat and get some local expertise from a car club or something because finding a shop with a great reputation for doing the work is the most critical step. Unless it is a full service shop, most folks that can do the powder coating work will require you to bring them the calipers off the car. I would expect ~ $1000 for the caliper work plus whatever shop charge you have to pay unless you can do the removal/reassembly yourself. Oh, and ignore the folks screaming at you for painting non PCCB brakes yellow...do what works for you I've seen folks tape and spray high temp spray paint but I've never seen that end well.
Oh man, you took the wind out of my sails. I was going to say that Suncoast also sells Turbo S badges he can put on.
Jeff Jones (01-23-2021)
Old 01-26-2021 | 07:36 PM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfh342
I didnt option the car. Had I, I would have gone with the free red ones, then change the color

called a few Porsche/high end shops, all recommended liquid paint instead of powdercoat.. between $800-1200 for all 4 depending on the shop
Jeff Jones (01-26-2021)
Old 01-27-2021 | 09:05 PM
2seats
Racer

In the Porsche world yellow calipers are reserved for carbon ceramic brakes. I think this mod will devalue your car.

Orange calipers are not even a Porsche offering, but I’m sure you know that already.

Do what you like of course but I think the car will be worth less without a Porsche factory option on it.

Last edited by 2seats; 01-27-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2021 | 09:32 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2seats
In the Porsche world yellow calipers are reserved for carbon ceramic brakes. I think this mod will devalue your car.

Orange calipers are not even a Porsche offering, but I’m sure you know that already.

Do what you like of course but I think the car will be worth less without a Porsche factory option on it.
Value? Not what I’m in the car hobby for it’s a forever car paid cash now it’s my project like the OP. No orange in the P history check out the Gulf livery
#becausemod!
The following 2 users liked this post by FASTRKMAN:
Chester7 (01-30-2021), kart125 (01-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Brake caliper color change