Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021 | 03:32 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronbauer
I too am following the above break-in per Andreas Prueninger. Should be complete by this weekend. It's been fun going up each 500 rpms. Beware though, the torque at the bottom feels awesome until you start experiencing the higher revs. Then the bottom doesn't feel so good.... ;-) I kid, it still has nice torque at the bottom, but once you start feeling what the car can really do, you want to spend more time up there!

Ron
I just picked up mine yesterday from the shop for PPF and finally took her home. The torque below 3,800-4,000 RPM is not that strong (not terrible, but not so alive either), then she starts pulling for sure!

I've kept it below 5,000 as others have stated, will do the gradual increase until 1,000 miles
Old 01-16-2021 | 01:56 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Taking our new GT4 out for first drive tomorrow. The break-in advice in the owner's manual seems to be to keep revs below 4,000 for the first 2,000 miles. That seems a long time before increasing revs. Thoughts?

God bless,
TT
how did it go? 😀
Old 01-16-2021 | 09:10 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

I shared my recommendations here a couple weeks ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17129663

Lots of good info in that thread, including the recommendation from Andreas Preuninger, Director GT Model Line at Porsche.
Old 01-16-2021 | 05:47 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RichSouleRacing

This is what my wife (and I when she makes me drive) are doing with her GT4. Much more reasonable than 2000 miles under 4000 RPM, and it came from an engineer at Porsche from what I understand.
There was a huge thread this past summer about break-in. Some people swearing by the recommendations in the manual. What is presented here by actual engineers is a proper graded break-in schedule. The recommendations in the manual are the same for every Porsche, regardless of the engine. It has nothing to do with science or engineering. Also, remember from a true scientific standpoint, it doesn't matter how many miles you have driven, but how many revolutions your engine has done. Driving 500 miles at 4000 rpm is the same as driving 1000 miles at 2000rpm. And likely the higher rpm/shorter distance is actually the better break-in.

Last edited by VVG; 01-16-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2021 | 09:52 PM
xstnte
Rennlist Member

I did the break in recommendation with my GT3RS and hated it. It felt like I was robbed of enjoying the car's arrival.

With the GT4 I decided not to do that and took it a PCA DE event at PIR with less than 150 miles on the odometer and drove it as intended a the track. It was recently dyno'd at just under 380 hp at the wheels.

It's your car--enjoy it as you like, but be aware that if anything does go awry, Porsche may not warranty whatever it can get out of.
The following 2 users liked this post by xstnte:
DFW01TT (01-17-2021), mr965 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-16-2021 | 10:59 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Im at 680 miles and followed the chart above (and always warmed up the car) but started at 4k instead of 5k. Some canyon runs, couple 200 mile trips varying rpms and gears on the highway and coasting downhill and loading up a bit in taller gears. Pretty much driving like I would but keeping the rpms below the limits. Am at between 5000 and 6500 easily now comfortably. I dont think ive even accidentally got to 7k. Car loosening up nicely and feels ready to run. Ill give it a couple hundred more miles and get in the 7s then see. That for me should be good enough break in as its a nice middle ground and its given me time to get used to the car over all. I cant see spending a lot of time close to RL on the street but never know. The higher revs sure are exhilarating!
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-16-2021 | 11:46 PM
elevensheep
Advanced

This is what my wife (and I when she makes me drive) are doing with her GT4. Much more reasonable than 2000 miles under 4000 RPM, and it came from an engineer at Porsche from what I understand.
I followed that with my GT4, so far so good
dnimi123 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021 | 12:15 AM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoobPorscheNoob
I found this article in informative regarding break-in

https://yel.pca.org/porsche-engine-break-in/
Thanks for this. Very interesting article.

Originally Posted by sobiloff
This is from Andreas Preuninger, head of Porsche's GT car group, and based on comments he made in an interview when asked about how they break-in new cars at Weissach. https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/902287-gt4-break-in-who-s-following-the-rules.html#post12732648
I couldn't get that link to work, for some reason.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
OP, there's a recent thread that beat this to death, with all the pros and cons debated. If you can find that, you'll have more opinions than you could ever want.
Thanks so much. Before I started this thread I searched but didn't find anything. I think another post in this thread included a link to the one you're talking about.

Originally Posted by UncleDude
how did it go? 😀
Thanks for asking! I think it's a terrific car. It's sensory overload, actually, at least for an old guy like me. Visually, it has much more "presence" than I imagined it would have. And, contrary to my fears, the black wheels in the Porsche winter tire/wheel set actually look great on our black GT4, especially with the big yellow PCCB brake calipers (the wheels in the summer tire/wheel set we ordered are silver, but the Porsche winter set only came with black wheels). The sounds from the motor, tranny and diff are fabulous--at this early point I don't know why one would want a louder exhaust as it would blot out some of those delicious sounds. The steering, brakes, throttle, clutch, gearbox and suspension (on the winter tires) also feel wonderful. As I think Andreas Preuninger (AP) says is the goal for Porsche GT cars, this car is emotional! And the rear hatch makes it somewhat practical, too.

One very minor and one somewhat major negative, though. The minor one is I would have preferred a black face for the tach. The major one is the ride quality aggravates my wife's back injury--she's had this injury for years and has worked so hard at strengthening and rehabilitation so it doesn't now interfere with our sports, such as skiing and biking. And she doesn't like the noises, which are some of the things I really like about this car. I'm hoping at least the suspension might soften up a bit after 1,000 miles or so and the ride become more suitable for her. We'll see about that. But as of now she won't be riding in it with me. The good side of this is she won't be suggesting we sell our 911!

The only other Porsche GT car I'd driven or ridden in was a 991.1 GT3 RS with Graham Rahal exhaust. That's the car that peaked my interest in Porsche GT cars. As AP might say, it was very emotional! I was somewhat afraid this GT4 might be a let down after that GT3 RS. But my fears were unfounded. For me, this GT4 is just as emotional as that GT3 RS with a bit better ride and the practicality of the hatch, to boot...pun intended!

Thanks for all the responses in this thread. Much appreciated.

By the way, I checked with a friend who is a nationally famous tech guru for another German car brand. He says he trusts Porsche and would follow the factory 2,000 mile, 4,000 rpm recommendation. But if AP recommended something different my guess is he'd go with that.

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 01-17-2021 at 12:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomTarzian:
slilley (01-17-2021), UncleDude (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021 | 12:20 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
This is an interesting topic. There really are two schools of thought on this. One is to essentially break in the engine at lower RPMs and the other is to break it in at higher RPMs. There's really no consensus. Race motors are dynoed at high RPM/load immediately after they're built. Of course, no engine will last for very long if it isn't built right, especially a race engine. I try my best to stick to the manufacturer's guidelines, but I'm not going to anxiously putter around town staring at my tachometer either.

Believe it or not, there are people out there who strive to always keep their Porsche engines below 5,000 RPM. I ran across a couple of them when selling my 981 Cayman last year. I mentioned how the 2.7 liter NA engine produces its best power from about 4,500 to 7,000 RPM, and how well the car performs in that rev range, and by their reaction you would have thought that I’d just admitted to abusing the car... Go figure.
I agree, all race motors are dynoed and therefore ready to go.

when they are delivered there will be an indication of trouble straight away.

my 991.2 GT3RS had metal filings in the oils they day it was delivered and Porsche replaced the motor before I even got to drive it!!

I think 500 miles is more than enough.

what I would focus on for engine longevity is ensuring the oil is right up to temp each and every time you drive the car over 2,500rpm.

mr965 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021 | 12:24 AM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Originally Posted by xstnte
I did the break in recommendation with my GT3RS and hated it. It felt like I was robbed of enjoying the car's arrival.

With the GT4 I decided not to do that and took it a PCA DE event at PIR with less than 150 miles on the odometer and drove it as intended a the track. It was recently dyno'd at just under 380 hp at the wheels.

It's your car--enjoy it as you like, but be aware that if anything does go awry, Porsche may not warranty whatever it can get out of.
how would they know if you followed proper break-in ?
scottpez13 (03-12-2021)
Old 01-17-2021 | 12:48 AM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Found this quote from AP in a post on a GT3 thread:

I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles.

The author of this post then added:

[AP] then went on that this procedure was really important for the GT3 RS engines given their more «delicate» rings - and how important this break in really is for any of their engines.
Another point - he recommended to realign the car after 1000-1500 miles due to settling - especially since the tires are getting bigger and bigger, and more sensitive to changes. The RS apparently is really sensitive around this.

God bless,
TT
Old 01-17-2021 | 12:48 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Nice review Tom!, sorry to hear about your wife’s back. I’m not exactly sure what you spec’d, what colour is the tach dial?
Old 01-17-2021 | 12:49 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Weird how all those PEC cars go straight from the factory to the track...
dnimi123 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021 | 12:51 AM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Nice review Tom!, sorry to hear about your wife’s back. I’m not exactly sure what you spec’d, what colour is the tach dial?
It's just the stock dark gray. Looking at it today it seems fine.

God bless,
TT
Old 01-17-2021 | 12:52 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

This is what I'm doing. I'm up to 6500 rpm now. It just keeps getting better.
dnimi123 (01-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Break-in?