Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Where TF is the soundaktor/impulse sender?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 04:48 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

In the pca vid they mention there is a valve. Might be pneumatic ? Like exhaust valves? If it is then capping the vacuum line will make it louder. No bueno. I wanna disconnect the tube to the firewall or cap the intake manifold like i did on my vantage. In fact, aston discontinued theirs on the vantage because they leaked and caused misfires and plug/coil fouling. Id rather have the electric one tbh
Old 01-11-2021, 09:41 PM
theEnd
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 72 Posts

It would be helpful if someone could put a microphone in there and made a recording of the car accelerating through the gears. We could figure out what sounds are coming through the tube v/s otherwise, and then decide if a sock (SoundMitigatorTM) is necessary.
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (02-14-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:51 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by theEnd
It would be helpful if someone could put a microphone in there and made a recording of the car accelerating through the gears. We could figure out what sounds are coming through the tube v/s otherwise, and then decide if a sock (SoundMitigatorTM) is necessary.
Thanx for volunteering to do that for the community.

DFW01TT (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 01:55 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
In the pca vid they mention there is a valve. Might be pneumatic ? Like exhaust valves? If it is then capping the vacuum line will make it louder. No bueno. I wanna disconnect the tube to the firewall or cap the intake manifold like i did on my vantage. In fact, aston discontinued theirs on the vantage because they leaked and caused misfires and plug/coil fouling. Id rather have the electric one tbh
There is a vacuum operated flap similar to the exhaust flap that is controlled independently of the exhaust flap. There's a tube connected to the air intake, and there's a diaphragm separating the air pressure in the intake from the cabin pressure. Oscillations in intake pressure create induction noises that are transmitted through the diaphragm to the passenger compartment via the tube.

This is completely different from the soundaktor on the four cylinder models which is essentially an electric speaker making engine noises.
The following 2 users liked this post by wizee:
Rennolazine (01-12-2021), UncleDude (02-14-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 06:36 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
There is a vacuum operated flap similar to the exhaust flap that is controlled independently of the exhaust flap. There's a tube connected to the air intake, and there's a diaphragm separating the air pressure in the intake from the cabin pressure. Oscillations in intake pressure create induction noises that are transmitted through the diaphragm to the passenger compartment via the tube.

This is completely different from the soundaktor on the four cylinder models which is essentially an electric speaker making engine noises.
Thanks for confirming! So whats the best way to disconnect it? Is the default position set to on? In other words, does the vacuum close it? If so might be best to cap it right after the chamber in the engine bay. Other folks are also wondering if its also on the gt4 but i dont see why it wouldnt be
Old 01-12-2021, 07:04 AM
Slippery Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Thanks for confirming! So whats the best way to disconnect it? Is the default position set to on? In other words, does the vacuum close it? If so might be best to cap it right after the chamber in the engine bay. Other folks are also wondering if its also on the gt4 but i dont see why it wouldnt be
This was discussed on previous thread. See post #76 showing detail of tubing and vacuum lines. I doubt there is any difference between a GTS 4.0/Spyder/GT4.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ne-else-6.html
UncleDude (02-14-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 07:31 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slippery Pete
This was discussed on previous thread. See post #76 showing detail of tubing and vacuum lines. I doubt there is any difference between a GTS 4.0/Spyder/GT4.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ne-else-6.html
Good find. Based on the looks of it the vacuum actually should tighten the diaphragm. So plugging the vacuum line and capping nipple on the module might actually shut it off. Dammit. I really dont want to take the rooff off to get into the engine bay
Old 01-24-2021, 11:22 AM
VT Skier
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone with a GTS 4.0 been able to defeat the Sound Sympose? I was considering the Cargraphics controller, but it warn against closing the valve all the time ("might cause engine damage").
Old 01-24-2021, 12:20 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Skier
Has anyone with a GTS 4.0 been able to defeat the Sound Sympose? I was considering the Cargraphics controller, but it warn against closing the valve all the time ("might cause engine damage").
The 2-mode Cargraphic controller can be used safely, it does not have the 3rd setting for closing the valves all of time. TBH I am not sure why they would offer something that could cause damage, and even go as far as to mention it on the product pages?
Old 01-24-2021, 03:17 PM
VT Skier
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

No Clue. In one section about the 3-mode unit, they say: "For maximum noise minimisation, the exhaust valves can also be closed permanently and independently of engine speed with the CARGRAPHIC 3-mode control unit"

And in another, they say: "Permanent closing of the exhaust valves, especially under full power, can lead to engine damage."

As much as I'd like to just hear the engine unadulterated, I'd rather not potentially damage the engine.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:54 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Skier
No Clue. In one section about the 3-mode unit, they say: "For maximum noise minimisation, the exhaust valves can also be closed permanently and independently of engine speed with the CARGRAPHIC 3-mode control unit"

And in another, they say: "Permanent closing of the exhaust valves, especially under full power, can lead to engine damage."

As much as I'd like to just hear the engine unadulterated, I'd rather not potentially damage the engine.
I think these are 2 different items. Exhaust valves are Porsche Sports Exhaust, Sound Symposer or Soundaktor (depending on model) is engine noise pumped into passenger compartment.
For the Sound Symposer, I think you can just shove a cork, sock, or some other sound deadening material into the port behind the seats. The Soundaktor can be eliminated by pulling a fuse.
MOO & FWIW
Mercuriell (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 03:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
I think these are 2 different items. Exhaust valves are Porsche Sports Exhaust, Sound Symposer or Soundaktor (depending on model) is engine noise pumped into passenger compartment.
For the Sound Symposer, I think you can just shove a cork, sock, or some other sound deadening material into the port behind the seats. The Soundaktor can be eliminated by pulling a fuse.
MOO & FWIW
you are correct, the valve controller *only* affects the exhaust valves on the PSE
Old 02-14-2021, 03:42 PM
LDubz735
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone have an update on this? What they've tested and how it's impacted cabin noise? Impact on drone?

Last edited by LDubz735; 02-14-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:57 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

I get the dislike for the fake computer sound in the 718 base and S with the 4 cylinders, but what is offensive about this? Does it add unwanted frequencies?
Old 02-14-2021, 06:38 PM
843Spyder
Advanced

Received 82 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Used to be free with purchase at HF but this price isn't bad

Yeah, but what colors does it come in AND can you get it with deviating thread color????

Quick Reply: Where TF is the soundaktor/impulse sender?