Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Motortrend DCOTY GT4 / Pobst / Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020 | 09:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Not as bad as the DSSV's on the ZL1 1LE though, those things are brutal. I test drove one before getting my SS 1LE and it was on par with my Ohlin coil-overs. Too much for the street. When you watch reviews of the ZL1 1LE, look at how much the occupants bounce around.

The GT4 is much milder by those standards or the standards of any other aftermarket coil-over system. It comes down to what you are used to and what your expectations are. I haven't driven a GT4 yet so I can't say where it falls for me, but I plan to sometime soon. I don't mind firm, what I mind is crashing over bumps and harshness. My expectation with the GT4 is firm, but very sophisticated and controlled feel without being crashy and harsh.
It is harsh on very bumpy roads. It works, but you feel every sharp bump, nothing sophisticated about it. On smooth or lightly bumpy roads, it’s great, but on a bumpy road, it feels like what it is, a track car on the street. More than one reviewer has commented on this.

I love the suspension. I just laugh when people try to call it compliant or everyday smooth.

Last edited by Archimedes; 12-27-2020 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Traind (01-02-2021)
Old 12-27-2020 | 09:15 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It is harsh on very bumpy roads. It works, but you feel every sharp bump, nothing sophisticated about it. On smooth or lightly bumpy roads, it’s great, but on a bumpy road, it feels like what it is, a track car on the street. More than one reviewer has commented on this.

I love the suspension. I just laugh when people try to call it compliant or everyday smooth.
I'm not too far from Monterey, maybe we could meet up sometime, I would gladly bring a 6-pack in exchange for a ride. I haven't decided yet when I want to do the PEC in LA.

Getting a test drive one of the many on the lots around here has so far been unsuccessful. They just don't want you taking them out.
Old 12-27-2020 | 09:20 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by bk_911
2016 GT4 - 1:37.43
2020 GT4 - 1:36.14

Interesting. Wish we knew if both cars were “out of the box” or had aero / sway / alignment.

Im pretty sure the first video said they had messed with the sway bars. (I didn’t bother rewatching yet)

I think Lieberman is foreshadowing that the GT4 doesn’t win due to the stiff ride in his opinion. (I personally think it is perfect)
I started looking at differences between the videos, and I instantly noticed he had the same understeer lift off throttle correction back on the gas in corner 4 in both cars. I'm guessing the sway bars are likely setup the same, or it's just the car understeers that much it surprised him both times that he couldn't put the power down that early without losing too much front grip to make the corner.

What i also noticed is it looks like the 981 has a fair bit of camber in it, but the 982 looks like there is no camber added into the front when he pulls back into the pits, so good chance different alignments are not the same, and the 982 got the short end of the stick running neutral camber upfront.

I also noticed his lowest speed in corner 11 was 3mph slower in the 981, but his top speed at the finish was also 3mph slower in the 981, making me think the difference between the 981 and 982 lap times has very little to do with power.

Last edited by Zhao; 12-27-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2020 | 09:32 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Not as bad as the DSSV's on the ZL1 1LE though, those things are brutal. I test drove one before getting my SS 1LE and it was on par with my Ohlin coil-overs. Too much for the street. When you watch reviews of the ZL1 1LE, look at how much the occupants bounce around.

The GT4 is much milder by those standards or the standards of any other aftermarket coil-over system. It comes down to what you are used to and what your expectations are. I haven't driven a GT4 yet so I can't say where it falls for me, but I plan to sometime soon. I don't mind firm, what I mind is crashing over bumps and harshness. My expectation with the GT4 is firm, but very sophisticated and controlled feel without being crashy and harsh.

In order to have that quick rebound recover and composure though, you have to be willing to give up some of the comfort aspects. The GT4 is a GT product for a reason and when you are comparing it to MRC, everything is going to be more firm.
Correction here - the ZL1/1LE is hard as long as you are on the stock GY3R tires which are essentially hockey pucks with super stiff sidewalls. Switch to streetable tires like the PS4S tires and it is as docile and smooth as some of the best cars from the past like the 997 GT3 with respect to ride quality. I have driven the ZL1/1LE on both sets of tires and the experience is day and night.

I am sure the GT4 will be more compliant if we switch to the PS4S tires.

Last edited by Checkmate; 12-27-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2020 | 09:36 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Correction here - the ZL1/1LE is hard as long as you are on the stock GY3R tires which are essentially hockey pucks with super stiff sidewalls. Switch to streetable tires like the PS4S tires and it is as docile and smooth as some of the best cars from the past like the 997 GT3 with respect to ride quality. I have driven the ZL1/1LE on both sets of tires and the experience is day and night.

I am sure the GT4 will be more compliant if we switch to the PS4S tires.
No it really isn’t, I owned one and ran both sets of tires you mentioned plus A/S 3s in cold months. It was a bit better on 4Ss, but docile and smooth it wasn’t except for on only the best roads. It didn’t bother me so
much, but my family never wanted to ride with me in it and neither did my friends no matter what tire was on it. Too the point my ten year old daughter would get car sick in it, this was over the summer on 4Ss. She hasn’t gotten car sick in any other vehicle FWIW.

She loves going for rides again now in the GTS. This was a big reason I went for the GTS over the GT4. I doubt the GT4 is as bad as the ZLE was, but I only do a couple events a year and this will more of a DD fun car.

Last edited by minn19; 12-27-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2020 | 09:43 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

I took a 600 mile road trip to the NC mountains with a friend in his 718 GT4. I never gave the ride a thought, other than being glad we weren’t in my ZLE.
Old 12-27-2020 | 09:58 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Originally Posted by minn19
No it really isn’t, I owned one and ran both sets of tires you mentioned plus A/S 3s in cold months. It was a bit better on 4Ss, but docile and smooth it wasn’t except for on only the best roads. It didn’t bother me so
much, but my family never wanted to ride with me in it and neither did my friends no matter what tire was on it. Too the point my ten year old daughter would get car sick in it, this was over the summer on 4Ss. She hasn’t gotten car sick in any other vehicle FWIW.

She loves going for rides again now in the GTS. This was a big reason I went for the GTS over the GT4. I doubt the GT4 is as bad as the ZLE was, but I only do a couple events a year and this will more of a DD fun car.
Interesting feedback. Perhaps it has to do with the roads around me which are quite smooth. My point of reference are cars like the E46 M3 and E90 M3. My experience in the ZL1/1LE was not worse than those cars (with the right set of tires).

Either ways - Porsche are the kings of damping. I have no doubt the GT4 is quite the all rounder regardless of what MT says.
Old 12-27-2020 | 10:14 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Interesting feedback. Perhaps it has to do with the roads around me which are quite smooth. My point of reference are cars like the E46 M3 and E90 M3. My experience in the ZL1/1LE was not worse than those cars (with the right set of tires).

Either ways - Porsche are the kings of damping. I have no doubt the GT4 is quite the all rounder regardless of what MT says.
Yah MN roads can be pretty bad. Frost heaves plus numerous potholes from plowing don’t help, especially in spring. By May things get sorted though and they aren’t too bad.

Agreed though on the GT4, I’ve never driven one, but I get that impression as well from reviews/comparisons etc.

Last edited by minn19; 12-27-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2020 | 10:17 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bk_911
2016 GT4 - 1:37.43
2020 GT4 - 1:36.14

Interesting. Wish we knew if both cars were “out of the box” or had aero / sway / alignment.

Im pretty sure the first video said they had messed with the sway bars. (I didn’t bother rewatching yet)

I think Lieberman is foreshadowing that the GT4 doesn’t win due to the stiff ride in his opinion. (I personally think it is perfect)
think these times are the most representative of the true difference in these cars. Randy Pobst is as good as it gets, so while weather could be a factor, all the other differences are out the door. Both cars even had PCCB brakes and LWBS.
Old 12-27-2020 | 11:11 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

I don't believe so.

My understanding of PASM is ......

Someone please correct me if you have heard different, but I do a lot of research on suspension because I am very **** about it in my cars.
Thanks to you and all the AR types who are contributing their experience in this thread.
Old 12-28-2020 | 11:45 AM
Ledfoot
Track Day

I like Randy, he always tries to highlight a positive aspect of a car. I have a C7 Corvette as well and he really likes that C7 ZR1. He is a little more critical of the Zo6 due to that sudden snap loose characteristic of the non-magnetic ride variant. My point is that I came to appreciate his analysis of cars because he is fair and accurate and makes sure to get the non-marketing points out in the open.
The thing I liked the best about his GT4 analysis was that he said (I think 3 times), "wow, thats a race car". Randy loves race cars.
Good video
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020 | 11:56 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I wonder how much slower the spyder would be on track and whether it would be also perceived as rough riding on the street
Old 12-28-2020 | 01:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I wonder how much slower the spyder would be on track and whether it would be also perceived as rough riding on the street
I would think on a short track where aero is not a factor they would be extremely close, on the street from a ride perspective likewise.
Old 12-28-2020 | 01:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I would think on a short track where aero is not a factor they would be extremely close, on the street from a ride perspective likewise.
go checkout the video of the Spyder and the GT4 at the 'Ring ... which has some very fast sections...
Old 12-28-2020 | 01:47 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
go checkout the video of the Spyder and the GT4 at the 'Ring ... which has some very fast sections...
Awwwww come on Larry, no link!? How am I supposed to see what you want me to?

All I am saying is the cars should be relatively close to a point where aero comes into play, I am perfectly happy that there are two versions of this car, the track toy and the back road canyon carver... Choices!

Quick Reply: Motortrend DCOTY GT4 / Pobst / Laguna Seca