Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Front camera module.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 07:44 PM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Front camera module.

Has anyone fitted one of these for a front camera. I'm thinking of getting one and looking for some feedback or recommendation for an alternative.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:44 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan hughes

Has anyone fitted one of these for a front camera. I'm thinking of getting one and looking for some feedback or recommendation for an alternative.
Sheesh, a screen capture from a phone,too much trouble to provide an actual link!?

FWIW I have installed front camera's on my last 2 Porsches...

Last edited by Westcoast; 12-21-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

Lol if I knew what I was doing I'd be happy to post a link. My computer skills are one step up from my 81yr old dads. Hopefully this works. 😁

https://car-solutions.com/en/front-a...cm-4-0-system/
The following 2 users liked this post by Jonathan hughes:
mr965 (12-23-2020), Pokerhobo (12-22-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 10:23 PM
RavinS4
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Would be great to have a front camera on the car. What are people using for the actual camera?
Old 12-22-2020, 02:03 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Lol if I knew what I was doing I'd be happy to post a link. My computer skills are one step up from my 81yr old dads. Hopefully this works. 😁

https://car-solutions.com/en/front-a...cm-4-0-system/
Worked great, Ok, your forgiven....

So, cutting to the chase, (and I could be wrong) this solution although priced very well, is designed for a PDK car.

Last edited by Westcoast; 12-22-2020 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:06 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RavinS4
Would be great to have a front camera on the car. What are people using for the actual camera?
I have been very happy with the Coolint 107-B, I bought mine, including another on the way, from Amazon.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:24 AM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Worked great, Ok, your forgiven....

So, cutting to the chase, (and I could be wrong) this solution although priced very well, is designed for a PDK car.
Well I've got a PDK car coming in about two weeks. I know when we spoke before you mentioned your module did more than just a camera. To be honest for me all I'm looking for is to make the camera work. I did find another module as well but this one looks like it works automatically when parking. Others you have to press buttons to turn it on. I'm not sure exactly how it knows your parking but I think for the money I'll give it a go.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:34 AM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

I couldn't link it for some reason but I got mine off eBay. The picture quality isn't brilliant but it's also not bad. Certainly good enough to see if your about to hit the curb.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:30 AM
GusRandall
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Where/how do you mount that thing? It looks like you drill a hole and insert
Old 12-22-2020, 12:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well I've got a PDK car coming in about two weeks. I know when we spoke before you mentioned your module did more than just a camera. To be honest for me all I'm looking for is to make the camera work. I did find another module as well but this one looks like it works automatically when parking. Others you have to press buttons to turn it on. I'm not sure exactly how it knows your parking but I think for the money I'll give it a go.
This solution may work for you however like another that I have seen the operation is not what I wanted, I installed the front camera in my 2016 and now 2020 Spyder to show me the front spoiler and its relationship to the curb or wall as I pulled into a spot. Both installations require me to press a button to show that front camera and I can do that at any time and even while driving and it will stay on for as long as I like or need it, so I turn it on and take my time parking as close as I desire to the obstruction.

The module you linked to works a bit different than that and I saw this same process on another implementation, here the front camera only activates when you shift the PDK from reverse to drive or park and then only stays on for 10 seconds (non-adjustable time), IMHO not enough time and if I am driving into my garage nose in, I wouldn't want to stop shift into reverse or park then into drive to see the front camera image and then only for 10 seconds...

Image from the rear view camera is displayed automatically on the screen when switching to reverse. When switching to Drive or Parking, image from the front view camera will be displayed on the screen for 10 seconds. Changing this time is not possible.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:51 PM
RavinS4
Instructor

This solution may work for you however like another that I have seen the operation is not what I wanted, I installed the front camera in my 2016 and now 2020 Spyder to show me the front spoiler and its relationship to the curb or wall as I pulled into a spot. Both installations require me to press a button to show that front camera and I can do that at any time and even while driving and it will stay on for as long as I like or need it, so I turn it on and take my time parking as close as I desire to the obstruction.

The module you linked to works a bit different than that and I saw this same process on another implementation, here the front camera only activates when you shift the PDK from reverse to drive or park and then only stays on for 10 seconds (non-adjustable time), IMHO not enough time and if I am driving into my garage nose in, I wouldn't want to stop shift into reverse or park then into drive to see the front camera image and then only for 10 seconds...
Westcoast I think you have the setup that I am looking for. Really need it when pulling into my garage as I don't have a ton of space up front. How did you do yours?
Old 12-22-2020, 01:13 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GusRandall
Where/how do you mount that thing? It looks like you drill a hole and insert
Westcoast I think you have the setup that I am looking for. Really need it when pulling into my garage as I don't have a ton of space up front. How did you do yours?
OK, here is a post to a really good thread on Planet 9, this link will take you to where I finished up with my 2016 GT4/Spyder front/rear camera install, should answer some questions and spawn a few more!

(99) Cayman RoofCam - Rear Vision Solved | Page 4 | Planet-9 Porsche Forum (planet-9.com)

So @RavinS4 for the Spyder I went a bit different route for a couple of reasons, the 2020 comes with a backup camera now as standard and the PCM has advanced to version 4 now so different hardware is required. I also wanted to add Android to the PCM, not Android Auto but full Android, so I bought the ROiK-MIB2 from KAP Auto, this gave me full Android and the ability to show the front camera anytime. Unfortunately from what I understand the factory is shut down due to Covid-19 and not selling this unit currently, I have this working now in the Spyder as desired and will be finished in a week or so and will post some pictures and experiences about this install.

I see that there is a slightly less invasive solution (but more expensive) the NAV-TV solution 'like' I used on the 981 (for the 718 it would be the PCM 4 version): PCM4-CAM - NavTV

This may work, but TBH I haven't read the fine print in the installation guide yet... be sure you check it out fully before purchase.

Last edited by Westcoast; 12-22-2020 at 01:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
theEnd (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 01:21 PM
RavinS4
Instructor

Thanks Westcoast. Look forward to your post on it with more detail. Don't really need the fully Android integration but the timer solution isn't the best for the situation I have. Hate to rush to park before a timer goes off.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:25 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Westcoast. Look forward to your post on it with more detail. Don't really need the fully Android integration but the timer solution isn't the best for the situation I have. Hate to rush to park before a timer goes off.
Yes, most of what I did especially for the front camera install in the 981 is applicable to the 718 and I even found a new way through the firewall for the video feed without drilling a hole!

A little closer inspection of the installation instructions for the NAV-TV solution leads me to believe that this may work for an 'any time front camera' setup:

• If an AUX video source is connected to the secondary RCA, press and hold the phone hang up button on the steering wheel for 2 seconds to display this video source at any time.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:15 PM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

​​​​​​I agree. It's not the best option as I to don't think 10seconds is enough. I just don't want to spend a fortune on a module just for a camera.

Quick Reply: Front camera module.