Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

R8 V10 6MT vs 718 GTS 4.0 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 05:34 PM
baege
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I think you're on the right track with 2 cars instead of one. This allows you to more fully enjoy each as you're only using it when the time is appropriate. Think of it as a bad weather car and a good weather car. The question IMO is the choice of cars.
I like the R8, but the diff is night and day vs the total PKG of the 718 GTS.
My choice would be the 718 GTS and then your bad weather car - GTIbis a good one I don't remember your other choice... I really enjoy my Countryman S All4 MT. Lots of fun lower prices cars out there.
good call on the mini, they are very fun, I will add that to the other car list if I go for the R8

I drove 2 cayman 981S's all year round in Toronto, they did fine with snows!
Old 12-05-2020, 05:37 PM
Regul8415
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Its interesting to see lots of folks cross shopping between the R8 and Cayman. I was in this situation myself. I sold my PDK 981 S in search of a v10 R8. After test driving a few I realized how much I missed my cayman. The whole connected feeling is true with the cayman and I did not feel that with the R8. While the R8 is a great car I did not feel engaged as I did when driving it versus the cayman. So here I am just took delivery of the 718 GT4 and loving every minute of it and glad im back with Porsche. Honestly don't think I'll steer away from Porsche again. You get a whole lot of engineering and amazing driver experience for what you pay. So with that said if money is not a factor I would suggest going with a GT4. Good luck with your search. The journey is half the fun!
The following 4 users liked this post by Regul8415:
baege (12-05-2020), minn19 (12-05-2020), phefner (12-05-2020), UncleDude (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 05:39 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Get the Porsche. There's no substitute, especially not an Audi.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:01 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 600 Posts

let me correct some misconceptions
I have owned two R8 , a 2018 V10 Plus , and 2020 R8 performance .Both were DSG .Plus had multiple GT cars
Interior is much better than Porsche
Not sure about actual dimensions , but I never drove the R8 and said it is a big car
the frunk size is smaller than Cayman, but I have done multiple Costco trips in the R8
everyone I know that had an R8 with gated MT tells me that it is the best, and these are people that own GT cars
Audi cars are never super impressive on test drives. I have owned other Audi cars and to me the longer you have them, the more you appreciate them. Don't ask me to explain ?
R8 will get more attention than a cayman in my experience
my only concern with older R8 , is the lack of warranty, but that applies to any older car out of warranty.I personally will not own a car without a manufacturer warranty
by the way brz is a nice car with a good platform , but way under powered . I had one for 6 months, and that was my only complaint about the car.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I’ve owned a bunch of Audis, the last of which was a 2014 RS5 that had the 4.2 built off the 5.2V10. Liked them but never loved them. Good cars, but all had a fatal flaw or two that kept me from falling in love with them. The RS5 under steered to death, had awful tranny software, and worst of all, just had an awful driving position that could not be fixed by adjusting anything. Interiors were more luxurious than Porsche, but less purposeful. Engines were fantastic. Audi to me is Germany’s version of Chevy/Cadillac.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
baege (12-05-2020), phefner (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 06:43 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

I just recently had an R8 V10 plus. Never drove the manual, but 2 of my friends had them and loved them. Interestingly, one buddy upgraded to the V10 plus and said it was better than the Gen 1. Personally, the R8 is great but its a little odd. Particularly the plus. It had non-adjustable dampers and the suspension sucked. The Drivetrain was manic. It revved from idle to 8700 rpm in like 0.86 seconds. It also had like 8 modes and the MMI was confusing AF. Interestingly, the rest of the car was like a cadillac. Sofa seats were not sporty at all and you were sliding all over the place. Also there was too much sound deadening. Even with an aftermarket Kline exhaust (which was glorious) the car was too quiet inside.
On the flipside, Ive only driven my friend's GT4 for about 45 minutes (spiritedly). Its got one purpose, to be a driver's/track car. And thats how it feels. Like its bolted to your spine. It also feels like you can't kill it, unlike the R8 I would not trade a GT Porsche on an R8 personally. Huracan is a different story, but thats in a different price range.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:46 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I just recently had an R8 V10 plus. Never drove the manual, but 2 of my friends had them and loved them. Interestingly, one buddy upgraded to the V10 plus and said it was better than the Gen 1. Personally, the R8 is great but its a little odd. Particularly the plus. It had non-adjustable dampers and the suspension sucked. The Drivetrain was manic. It revved from idle to 8700 rpm in like 0.86 seconds. It also had like 8 modes and the MMI was confusing AF. Interestingly, the rest of the car was like a cadillac. Sofa seats were not sporty at all and you were sliding all over the place. Also there was too much sound deadening. Even with an aftermarket Kline exhaust (which was glorious) the car was too quiet inside.
On the flipside, Ive only driven my friend's GT4 for about 45 minutes (spiritedly). Its got one purpose, to be a driver's/track car. And thats how it feels. Like its bolted to your spine. It also feels like you can't kill it, unlike the R8 I would not trade a GT Porsche on an R8 personally. Huracan is a different story, but thats in a different price range.

Sounds about right on the R8. It is labeled as the Gentleman's supercar. It is not hardcore on purpose, that is what it's cousin Lamborghini is for. Audi is a luxury brand first, not a motorsports brand. If you understand that, then you can make more sense of what the R8 is and is trying to be.

Agree on the fixed suspension, makes no sense to me. The MRC is brillant, I don't see a need for a fixed suspension on the R8, and it's not even an option on the Plus model as far as I know. Even Lamborghini and Ferrari use the MRC as their goto suspension. I had it in my previous TTRS and now in my SS 1LE.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:09 PM
baege
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
let me correct some misconceptions
I have owned two R8 , a 2018 V10 Plus , and 2020 R8 performance .Both were DSG .Plus had multiple GT cars
Interior is much better than Porsche
Not sure about actual dimensions , but I never drove the R8 and said it is a big car
the frunk size is smaller than Cayman, but I have done multiple Costco trips in the R8
everyone I know that had an R8 with gated MT tells me that it is the best, and these are people that own GT cars
Audi cars are never super impressive on test drives. I have owned other Audi cars and to me the longer you have them, the more you appreciate them. Don't ask me to explain ?
R8 will get more attention than a cayman in my experience
my only concern with older R8 , is the lack of warranty, but that applies to any older car out of warranty.I personally will not own a car without a manufacturer warranty
by the way brz is a nice car with a good platform , but way under powered . I had one for 6 months, and that was my only complaint about the car.
t

the R8 is much wider car, 76.5 inches vs 71 inches for the cayman

I had a C7 corvette which is 74 inches and I found it big

interesting on the slow burn aspect of audis...

Quick Reply: R8 V10 6MT vs 718 GTS 4.0 6MT