Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 04:54 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
I look at mine periodically just to make sure.
Just to throw another crab claw in the Gumbo-- I have been using one for 6 years with "0" problems, BUT if you have a power failure or short interruption say during a thunderstorm the unit may cycle itself to off. No biggie to punch the button to get it doing its thing again. Mine is usually connected to a GFC outlet which is probably the reason it does it. .2PDK gives good advice.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:31 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
I look at mine periodically just to make sure.
I plan on walking into the garage to monitor mine at least 5 times a day because it’s just another reason to go look at my car.
The following 4 users liked this post by SpeedySpidey:
Denny Swift (12-17-2020), FASTRKMAN (12-10-2020), halfmonkey (09-05-2021), patdonahue (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 06:01 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
I plan on walking into the garage to monitor mine at least 5 times a day because it’s just another reason to go look at my car.
Sometimes I wonder if that's why I do it so often as well...
Old 12-10-2020, 06:03 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
BUT if you have a power failure or short interruption say during a thunderstorm the unit may cycle itself to off.
Another good reason to monitor it.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:04 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE

In other words, do I need to monitor this thing, or can I just plug it in and leave it over the next few months while the car sits in my garage for winter?
I have used a CTEK 7002, a NOCO 7200, and a NOCO 3500 on various cars. In my experience, when they lose power and then power is restored, the NOCO ones always remember what charge mode they were in last (e.g. 12v AGM battery) while the CTEK one does not. My CTEK 7002 one always returns to the default charge mode, which is for standard flooded acid 12v batteries, when it is freshly powered on.

I'm not not familiar with CTEK charger model that you have. So it might behave differently than my 7002, which has many different modes. But I would recommend you definitely check on the charger is after a power outage.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (04-12-2022)
Old 12-10-2020, 06:20 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
+1 I have moved my beer fridge into the garage next to her so it gives me plenty of visiting time over the winter months.
The following 3 users liked this post by FASTRKMAN:
halfmonkey (09-05-2021), Polarporsche (12-10-2020), SpeedySpidey (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 06:21 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
Just to throw another crab claw in the Gumbo-- I have been using one for 6 years with "0" problems, BUT if you have a power failure or short interruption say during a thunderstorm the unit may cycle itself to off. No biggie to punch the button to get it doing its thing again. Mine is usually connected to a GFC outlet which is probably the reason it does it. .2PDK gives good advice.
My CTEK started acting up, ERRORing out while in FLOAT mode. I was all set to return it when I just pushed the plugs together at the extension coupling. Even though I didn't feel anything move, it's been working again ever since.
FWIW & MOO
Old 12-10-2020, 06:22 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

^ Although this time of year in Bflo., the garage is a walk in cooler 😝
Old 12-10-2020, 06:25 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Same same 6 hours north you would love Ottawa in February!
Old 12-10-2020, 06:46 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
Same same 6 hours north you would love Ottawa in February!
Pleased to meet you... Go Senator​​​​​s (unless they’re playing the Sabres)
Old 12-10-2020, 07:13 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Your northern cousin...brought many peeps from Buffalo white water rafting back in the day much fun folks to be around. When they open up the gates if you go for a run north hit me up there are a few of us up here on RL. On the subject of hockey who can forget the Buffalo Sabres vs Ottawa Senators 2007 line brawl back when we both had something to fight about
Old 12-10-2020, 08:27 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Yes, the vaccine is approved and definitely better days ahead.
I used to do many Classic Car shows in St Catherines and while there was plenty of ball busting, youse canucks are awesome people.
Now that I’m getting my first Porsche, I’m looking forward to new adventures and new friends...

Last edited by SpeedySpidey; 12-10-2020 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-13-2020, 12:45 PM
thesasquatch
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks fellas. This has all been clear as mud! LOL

I've read thread after thread for hours and still no one has clearly suggested what I should buy and where to plug it in for MY 2020 (992) C4S with Rear Axle Steer..

I've had CTeks before and they seem ok but nothing very special.

Should I get another CTek (Lithium US?) or try a Noco Genius5? What do I need for my car and where do I plug in? I'm assuming I'm Lithium? And everything is going back and forth on whether the Cig plug in the passenger footwell will work to plug into (many people saying the signal goes dead after a time when the car shuts down and won't maintain)?

Which model of CTek or Noco do any of you recommend and where to plug? Let's see if we can make this any muddier. 0

Thanks for explaining [again] to this idiot

-Cheers.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by thesasquatch

I've read thread after thread for hours and still no one has clearly suggested what I should buy and where to plug it in for MY 2020 (992) C4S with Rear Axle Steer..

Should I get another CTek (Lithium US?) or try a Noco Genius5? What do I need for my car and where do I plug in? I'm assuming I'm Lithium? And everything is going back and forth on whether the Cig plug in the passenger footwell will work to plug into (many people saying the signal goes dead after a time when the car shuts down and won't maintain)?

Which model of CTek or Noco do any of you recommend and where to plug? Let's see if we can make this any muddier. 0

-Cheers.
IMHO CTEK is the best, and yes very special!

Plug it into either the foot well or center console, do this within a few minutes of parking and the connection should remain active, always has for the last 7 Porssche vehicles I have connected in this manner.

As for you 992, you should verify that it comes with a Lithium battery, not assume, and if it does then you will need the appropriate matching battery maintainer, otherwise I would suggest the CTEK MXS 5.0.

All clear now...
Old 12-13-2020, 01:09 PM
buzzlulu
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thesasquatch

-Cheers.
Here, here - agreed
A quick review implies that the Noco Genius 5 or 10 amp or the CTEK MUS 4.3 or 5.0. Does this sound correct?
A look on Amazon's website at the CTEK 5.0 has a drop down box to input your vehicle. If I input a 2021 Boxster Spyder (I have a GTS though) indicates that it is not compatible? Stange

Quick Reply: battery tender