Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022 | 07:05 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0-Day
...... Chemistry is the main problem. ......
No one is arguing about chemistry but what car in your garage doesn't start after sitting 2 weeks ? If you call that normal then I have nothing more to say.
Old 01-08-2022 | 07:33 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aronis
My solution. CTEX MXS 5.0, wired to overhead outlet, on boom, over car, out of the way of tripping people with wire to battery...

Mike

(please forgive me for the dirty car, LOL, it needs some TLC. its been busy.)
Great position for the charger, nice to have it out of the way!

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-08-2022 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2022 | 05:08 PM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aronis
My solution. CTEX MXS 5.0, wired to overhead outlet, on boom, over car, out of the way of tripping people with wire to battery...

Mike

(please forgive me for the dirty car, LOL, it needs some TLC. its been busy.)

​​​​​​​The overhead unit mount and plug in was a great idea!

Last edited by Rasputin.; 02-21-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2023 | 05:21 PM
madmilk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt

Positive goes to battery positive, negative needs to go to a non-battery ground location as indicated by the yellow traces above. I originally had my tender hooked to the battery but found out that there is logic on the negative cable. Hooking your charger to the negative battery post will shorten the batteries life. I fortunately never used it before it was moved to the remote location as shown below. The above also shows how I bring the cable out beside the frunk opening.

I hope this helps.
MOO & FWIW
Does anyone know how to use that non-battery ground location in the center that is right beneath the wiper arm? There's a plastic piece directly over that thing that keeps me from being able to unscrew it to attach the negative eyelet. I ended up just putting the eyelet over it and taping it down with electrical tape which is obviously very janky. And the eyelet cord isn't long enough to go over to the other location on the far right.

I found this thread after having to take my CGTS into the dealer last week for engine fault codes that turned out to be low voltage codes. I've only averaged about 65 miles per week since I got the car last Christmas so it's obviously not being driven enough to recharge the battery.

Last edited by madmilk; 11-01-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2023 | 05:49 PM
patdonahue
Pro

These cars throw some strange codes if the battery gets low. About 4 years ago a pretty good hurricane came over us and with trees down, damage to my garage door I did not get to drive it (CGTS) for about 2 months. The power grid was having problems, and I did not trust having a battery charger on the car if we had a spike or flux in power. When I finally got to drive it was slow to turn over but started, I was able to drive it but just about 20 miles, on the very next start it started throwing codes and required a trip to the dealer. It was telling me that I had the wrong octane fuel in it, but I had not fueled the car.. Now if I do not drive it for 2 weeks I put the tender on it. YMMV
Pat D
Old 11-03-2023 | 01:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by madmilk
Does anyone know how to use that non-battery ground location in the center that is right beneath the wiper arm? There's a plastic piece directly over that thing that keeps me from being able to unscrew it to attach the negative eyelet. I ended up just putting the eyelet over it and taping it down with electrical tape which is obviously very janky. And the eyelet cord isn't long enough to go over to the other location on the far right.

I found this thread after having to take my CGTS into the dealer last week for engine fault codes that turned out to be low voltage codes. I've only averaged about 65 miles per week since I got the car last Christmas so it's obviously not being driven enough to recharge the battery.
I don't (currently) use the direct to battery connections up front but a 1/4" drive Torx bit should get under the cover, either that or I would splice in an extension to the negative lead for connection the 'standard' negative connection point on the right side of the picture.

As for damaging the battery with a direct connection, if you use a reputable battery maintainer there should be no problem connecting directly to the battery.

I plug into the cig-socket in the cabin, have for years, never hurt a battery this way, always had a fully charged system when it was time to drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
TXshaggy (11-03-2023), UncleDude (11-03-2023)
Old 03-07-2024 | 12:30 AM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madmilk

Have you figured that out? The NOCO GC008 X-Connect M10 I bought is clearly not long enough to get to the bolt on the right...

Quick Reply: battery tender