Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Europe vs US 4.0 sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020 | 12:20 PM
Fizzmopper
Intermediate

Question Europe vs US 4.0 sound?

Hi all,
I've heard that because of the particulate filters required in Europe that the sound of these 4 liter engines is muted compared to the 981 counterparts. Is this the same case for the US models? Do they also have this particulate filter installed upon arrival and if so is this something that can be removed?

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2020 | 02:25 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fizzmopper
Hi all,
I've heard that because of the particulate filters required in Europe that the sound of these 4 liter engines is muted compared to the 981 counterparts. Is this the same case for the US models? Do they also have this particulate filter installed upon arrival and if so is this something that can be removed?

Thanks.
The US cars have a placeholder filter that does muffle the sound, though perhaps not as much as the European version, as it lacks the coating to actually capture particulate matter. The main purpose of the US filter appears to be allowing the reuse of the European muffler design.

Here’s what my North American Spyder sounds like, fully stock with the inert placeholder filter:
Old 11-08-2020 | 02:28 PM
Fizzmopper
Intermediate

Thanks. I watched your video and read your comments they were very informative. Sounds like it isn't going to be much of an issue. Cheers, and congrats on your beautiful Spyder!

Quick Reply: Europe vs US 4.0 sound?