Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Car Play Display

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020 | 02:24 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Default Car Play Display

When using car play navigation, does the map / route show up on the small round dash screen like it would with the Porsche nav?

Old 11-07-2020 | 02:34 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Nope!
Old 11-07-2020 | 11:39 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Nope!
damn
Old 11-07-2020 | 04:43 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

I'm sure they could engineer it to do so, but then they would be shooting themselves in the foot. It is a selling point for them to opt for the Nav. option. I think as time goes on, industry wise, there will be more integration because there is no factory nav. that will be as accurate and up to date as Waze, Google Maps, etc. Factory nav. is just old tech, now (kinda of like the CD), yet Porsche still gives you a CD player, kinda funny.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRZ06:
Haros (11-09-2020), mr965 (11-09-2020)
Old 11-07-2020 | 07:32 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I'm sure they could engineer it to do so, but then they would be shooting themselves in the foot. It is a selling point for them to opt for the Nav. option. I think as time goes on, industry wise, there will be more integration because there is no factory nav. that will be as accurate and up to date as Waze, Google Maps, etc. Factory nav. is just old tech, now (kinda of like the CD), yet Porsche still gives you a CD player, kinda funny.
The CD is embarrassing.

I sat in a gt4 today and played with the system with my phone. At least it shows the music in that space, and generally I found the interface nice, quick and easy to use. The ageing tech is one of the appeals for me. It is a nice mix of touch screens and buttons.

Old 11-08-2020 | 12:48 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

CarPlay itself supports additional displays, but that came out after Porsche started supporting CarPlay. Maybe Porsche will support it in the future or maybe they want to reserve that capability for their expensive NAV option. As for the aging CD player, this is why I like CarPlay. Apple keeps improving it and as more apps support it, I get more options and improvements to maps, music, etc...
Old 11-08-2020 | 07:05 AM
horns
Pro

I have no experience with carplay in a porsche or otherwise. Is carplay a suitable alternative to selecting porsche connect/navigation? I'm ok not having the nav screen in the third "gauge" position. Are there other key benefits of car play?
Old 11-08-2020 | 08:22 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by horns
I have no experience with carplay in a porsche or otherwise. Is carplay a suitable alternative to selecting porsche connect/navigation? I'm ok not having the nav screen in the third "gauge" position. Are there other key benefits of car play?
Google maps is generally better than the PCM NAV function. CarPlay also supports Waze and YouTube Music / good for long trips ..
Old 11-08-2020 | 09:06 AM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Reading text message and send text via voice is very useful too. I can also use SiriusXM app to listen to my favorite channels without paying another subscription to my family plan.

John
The following users liked this post:
CDACH (11-10-2020)
Old 11-08-2020 | 12:24 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by horns
Factory Nav works without a cell phone in the car, in other words you can be out of cell range and it still works!

And yes you can down load Maps ahead of time with Google 'if' you already knew where you were going... but hen why would you need a map?
Old 11-08-2020 | 12:45 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Factory Nav works without a cell phone in the car, in other words you can be out of cell range and it still works!

And yes you can down load Maps ahead of time with Google 'if' you already knew where you were going... but hen why would you need a map?
My understanding is that GPS chips are pretty much standard in modern smartphones. This means that the map apps should continue to work, at least until they need to update data. I have no idea how long this interval is. Obviously traffic and crowdsourced input will not update until the connection is restored.
But for pretty much guaranteed operation, the nav is better, plus the display can go in the instrument panel. Whether the price of the option, plus ghastly update costs (this is Porsche) is worth it is a personal decision.
I would love to hear from someone running both Nav and Waze/google maps about the experience.
Old 11-08-2020 | 01:28 PM
Puggz
Pro

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
My understanding is that GPS chips are pretty much standard in modern smartphones. This means that the map apps should continue to work, at least until they need to update data. I have no idea how long this interval is. Obviously traffic and crowdsourced input will not update until the connection is restored.
But for pretty much guaranteed operation, the nav is better, plus the display can go in the instrument panel. Whether the price of the option, plus ghastly update costs (this is Porsche) is worth it is a personal decision.
I would love to hear from someone running both Nav and Waze/google maps about the experience.
From my experience a smart phone uses mobile date for navigation but has the ability to download maps (in advance) of areas you may be concerned about. In other words, no cell(data) coverage, no real-time navigation. This is where the built in system excels as it uses the true GPS system.. IE satellites. Also, anything internal to the car will show up in the instrument cluster. Anything "projected" IE carplay and android auto, will not show up in the instrument cluster. My wife's Merc and my 2020 GMC AT4 all have this issue or feature, depending on how you look at it. ;-D. This tech has come a long way in the last 3 years but still has a waze to go...

Old 11-08-2020 | 03:11 PM
Greg_STL
Instructor

I use Waze religiously even on daily drives to and from work because of the real time updates on road shut down, accidents, police ticketing, etc. Even the roads get out of date with new construction on the OEM Nav systems. The only time I've ever had Waze not work great for me was on a drive into the NC mountains around the Tail of the Dragon where cell coverage was spotty. You can pre-load the maps for an area while you still have cell or wi-fi so with some pre-thought it is not a big deal.

One thing I rarely see mentioned is that your phone can be a second screen for Waze when using Car Play. You mount the phone by the dash using something like a Rennline magnetic phone mount. Then while driving and using Waze - the 3D map shows up on the main car screen and a list of the next half dozen turns shows up on your phone next to the car screen. I found this out when I rented a Cayman GTS 2.5T from Turo when trying to decide if I could live with a 2.5T. I missed out on getting the 2.5T because production shut down but I'm not really complaining because I'm getting a 4.0 in a month.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020 | 03:24 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg_STL
I use Waze religiously even on daily drives to and from work because of the real time updates on road shut down, accidents, police ticketing, etc. Even the roads get out of date with new construction on the OEM Nav systems. The only time I've ever had Waze not work great for me was on a drive into the NC mountains around the Tail of the Dragon where cell coverage was spotty. You can pre-load the maps for an area while you still have cell or wi-fi so with some pre-thought it is not a big deal.

One thing I rarely see mentioned is that your phone can be a second screen for Waze when using Car Play. You mount the phone by the dash using something like a Rennline magnetic phone mount. Then while driving and using Waze - the 3D map shows up on the main car screen and a list of the next half dozen turns shows up on your phone next to the car screen. I found this out when I rented a Cayman GTS 2.5T from Turo when trying to decide if I could live with a 2.5T. I missed out on getting the 2.5T because production shut down but I'm not really complaining because I'm getting a 4.0 in a month.

I LOVE Waze!! The participation rate here in the Bay Area is awesome. It has saved me from a few speeding tickets already, much better than a radar detector. User based systems are awesome when folks actually use it.

For those that are pilots or involved in aviation, I liken it to using a PIREP. Actual pilot reports in real time are always better than any weather forecast.
Old 11-08-2020 | 05:11 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

I run Waze on main screen via CarPlay for navigation and possible hazards and a magnified NAV on the right dashboard screen when running backroads to give an indication of upcoming junctions and tightness of blind bends

Quick Reply: Car Play Display