Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

CUP 2s and outdoor temps

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020 | 07:58 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Thanks for sharing your experiences, I pulled the Maxx Race 2's off the Spyder a few weeks ago, no sense risking it in a car like this to save a few dollars!
Do you mean by this that you have put the car up on blocks or stands and have taken the whole wheel off to store in a warmer temp for the winter?
Old 11-02-2020 | 08:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
Do you mean by this that you have put the car up on blocks or stands and have taken the whole wheel off to store in a warmer temp for the winter?
The entire wheel set (Maxx Race 2's on Forged One FF10's) are now inside my basement keeping warm and dry, on the Spyder is the OEM wheel set with UHP RE980AS tires, I had the Dunlop's moved to FF10's as soon as the car arrived, then ordered the Bridgestone's for the OEM wheels.

I drive my Porsche all year, choosing the better days of course, but with the RE980AS's I am equipped for rain and sub-zero temperatures.
Old 11-02-2020 | 09:37 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
...I drive my Porsche all year, choosing the better days of course, but with the RE980AS's I am equipped for rain and sub-zero temperatures.
FWIW, I did 2hrs in the remnants of the storm yesterday, @ ~45-50F. Steady rain but smallish drops, heavy enough for running/standing water in the tire ruts on the highway. 980s have 9,500 miles on them and I may or may not have been driving 10-15mph above speed limit. Had a few "whoa" moments when hitting standing/running water, and some just wet spots at the first half of the drive, but when heavier rain started, grip levels improved. Started drive with cold pressures 30F/33R, but need to confirm the best cold/hot pressures for these. GT4 seems (to me) sensitive to pressure changes. Caveat is that I'm running DSC controller (Normal mode) so not sure how grip would be different than stock, but given how much more supple my ride is, I would say I have more than stock. Long story to the point, I wouldn't have felt anywhere near as confident on the "last gen" Cup 2s yesterday.
Old 11-02-2020 | 11:41 PM
theEnd
Instructor

I was up in the Catskills yesterday and the temperature dropped sharply soon after sunset. Ended up driving in the snow for about 90 minutes on the Dunlop Maxx Race 2's. Luckily the temperature was still a couple of degrees above freezing and the snow did not stick. Nevertheless, it was not a good experience: I had to drive MUCH slower than the speed limit, and even then I could occasionally feel the traction control kicking in. All weather tires will be installed this week!
Old 11-03-2020 | 01:18 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

For another related tip, if its also wet, and you're running carbon brakes, don't forget to lightly ride them every few minutes for heat/drying.
Old 11-03-2020 | 02:25 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
For another related tip, if its also wet, and you're running carbon brakes, don't forget to lightly ride them every few minutes for heat/drying.
I will keep this in mind, so far I am only impressed with PCCB brakes!

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
FWIW, I did 2hrs in the remnants of the storm yesterday, @ ~45-50F. Steady rain but smallish drops, heavy enough for running/standing water in the tire ruts on the highway. 980s have 9,500 miles on them and I may or may not have been driving 10-15mph above speed limit. Had a few "whoa" moments when hitting standing/running water, and some just wet spots at the first half of the drive, but when heavier rain started, grip levels improved. Started drive with cold pressures 30F/33R, but need to confirm the best cold/hot pressures for these. GT4 seems (to me) sensitive to pressure changes. Caveat is that I'm running DSC controller (Normal mode) so not sure how grip would be different than stock, but given how much more supple my ride is, I would say I have more than stock. Long story to the point, I wouldn't have felt anywhere near as confident on the "last gen" Cup 2s yesterday.
I have left the setting for tire pressures in the Spyder to 'Summer' and run the RE980's at (cold) 29 front and 33 rear they seem to be responding well there and the contact patch across both front an rear covers the entire tread width.
Old 11-03-2020 | 02:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theEnd
I was up in the Catskills yesterday and the temperature dropped sharply soon after sunset. Ended up driving in the snow for about 90 minutes on the Dunlop Maxx Race 2's. Luckily the temperature was still a couple of degrees above freezing and the snow did not stick. Nevertheless, it was not a good experience: I had to drive MUCH slower than the speed limit, and even then I could occasionally feel the traction control kicking in. All weather tires will be installed this week!
Good plan!

Your story is exactly why I have the second set of tires and wheels, you just never know when you could get caught out in the elements! A few weeks back I was out and it started to rain, I was on the Race 2's, the roads had some standing water and were completely wet, it was way too easy to break the back end loose and I could tell that if I really needed maximum traction it wouldn't be there, thankfully there were no members of the Anti-destination League gunning for me that day and it all ended well back at home! Anyone who says that all you have to do is take it easy has likely not been really tested with the wrong tires for the conditions on their car, or maybe they lead a charmed life, for me it is not worth taking that chance.

Just like the UHP summer tires that give these cars exception handling on the back roads or at the track and post Nürburgring lap times that rival super cars of only a few years ago you need that same technology on your side when the temperatures drop and the road surface is slick with water or snow. I have no plans to take the Spyder to the ski hill or attend Porsche Winter Camp in Quebec so I don't need a true winter tire like Alpin's or Sottozero's which are incredible in the snow, I needed an all season and believe I have found the right combinations of tread design and compounds with the UHP RE980AS, in cold dry weather it has been impressing me on the back roads and although I haven't tested it in snow in the rain they have been excellent.

I have said this before, I see no point in buying a car like this and tip toeing around on tires that are not the best you can use for the given or expected road conditions.
Old 11-03-2020 | 05:10 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Michelin Cup2 N2 .. 10 degrees yesterday at Silverstone. This happened every time I went around a corner, can anyone help?

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
The following 3 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
Alan_S (11-03-2020), kj71109 (11-09-2020), sobiloff (11-04-2020)
Old 11-03-2020 | 05:21 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Michelin Cup2 N2 .. 10 degrees yesterday at Silverstone. This happened every time I went around a corner, can anyone help?

JC
I can help, take off all of those pesky Titanium/Inconel exhaust parts and send them to me, I will supply lightly used OEM parts in exchange!
The following users liked this post:
JCR-Porsche (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020 | 05:41 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche

JC
Less Chris Harris, more Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11-03-2020 | 05:51 PM
Poupon McArr
Racer

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
You want him to drive with a punctured tire?

Old 11-03-2020 | 06:08 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Why not? We need something to even the field and that nearly did it.
Old 11-04-2020 | 05:33 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve

Quick Reply: CUP 2s and outdoor temps