Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Harness/Roll bar options for spyder

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 01:03 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Harness/Roll bar options for spyder

I want to install a 6 point harness but would rather not install eye bolts into the chassis for the shoulder belts. I am looking at options which will make it reversible/factory like as much as possible.

I came across this product which someone in a 981 boxster installed. When I reached out to them, they mentioned it will not fit the 718 but I sense they never tried yet.

Agency Power 981 harness bar

Does anyone know if there is difference between 981 and 982 spyder/boxster?

I also came across this one but it only fits the cayman from what I have been told....

R-1046 Shoulder Harness Mount

Any helps is appreciated!

Old 10-15-2020, 01:21 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Interested to see any responses myself.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:18 PM
katzndogs
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 27 Posts

There is this option from BK. https://www.bkauto.com/R_1046_Should...t_p/r-1046.htm

Old 10-15-2020, 03:48 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by katzndogs
I emailed them and they said it would not fit the spyder. Maybe underneath the carpet, the chassis is different? I know we have that speaker at the back of seat which the GT4 does not have....

Can someone confirm if this will work or not?

Another option is build a custom bolt on harness bar...
Old 10-15-2020, 04:46 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

A bit confusing that a GT division car with track focused suspension hasn't been designed to easily accommodate a 6pt harness.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:00 PM
katzndogs
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
A bit confusing that a GT division car with track focused suspension hasn't been designed to easily accommodate a 6pt harness.
I don't find it very confusing. There's certainly an argument that a harness bar and 6 points in the spyder is a bit of an oxymoron. If you want/need that kind of safety gear for whatever the activity may be (track, or just to feel "safer") the GT4 would've probably been the better choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by katzndogs:
Anu2g (08-16-2023), HelpMeHelpU (11-10-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 05:15 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

I don't find it very confusing. There's certainly an argument that a harness bar and 6 points in the spyder is a bit of an oxymoron. If you want/need that kind of safety gear for whatever the activity may be (track, or just to feel "safer") the GT4 would've probably been the better choice.
Yes but that does not mean Spyder owners don't want to track it on occasionally and are concerned about safety. In fact, I would argue a harness is even more important without a fixed roof. We have already seen the Spyder is probably 95% as quick and most driver's won't even come close to the full capabilities fo either models to have a significant lap time difference.

I spoke with Agency Power, they are actually clearing out the harness bar because it is a low volume item. They will not be test fit/confirm on a 718 chassis for fitment.

Does anyone here know if the 981 vs. 982 chassis is any different? I could buy the product and try it. In the worst case, sell it if no fit....

The following users liked this post:
Jim Rockford (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 05:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I don't understand. Why wouldn't I want to take my Spyder to the track, and if I did take it to the track, then why wouldn't I want "that kind of safety"?

The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (10-15-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:26 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

I just came across this which looks like may work for the Spyder with a little bit of cutting of the carpet.

RSS Harness bar

Old 10-16-2020, 12:34 AM
The Pinkoboe
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I don't understand. Why wouldn't I want to take my Spyder to the track, and if I did take it to the track, then why wouldn't I want "that kind of safety"?
I had always heard that it wasn't safe to do a harness without a full roll cage. Conceptually, if the roof were to collapse during a roll over, you are fixed in place and things wouldn't end well. Same concept would apply to a convertible.

Not at all saying this is the actual advice of professional track car preparers, but it is what I have heard from several different people on track days.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:38 AM
Racer20
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pinkoboe
I had always heard that it wasn't safe to do a harness without a full roll cage. Conceptually, if the roof were to collapse during a roll over, you are fixed in place and things wouldn't end well. Same concept would apply to a convertible.

Not at all saying this is the actual advice of professional track car preparers, but it is what I have heard from several different people on track days.
Yeah, this. A harness bar in a droptop is significantly less safe than stock seats and seat belts.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:40 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Good point but I believe the factory roll hoop on the Spyder is made from high strength steel made specifically to not collapse during a roll over. Having said that, I am sure an aftermarket roller would be even stronger.
I still would rather be strapped inside the fixed bucket (in the lowest seat position possible) with a helmet/HANS device than risk the possibility of being thrown out of a car with a 3 point seatbelt.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:40 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

That is correct for cars without a roll-bar. Boxsters have oem roll-bars that are much stronger protection against a collapse vs a coupe without a roll bar. Plenty of roof-less race cars out there with roll-bars as protection. They all use 6pt harnesses without a problem.

Of course, a full cage is always the best but impractical and impossible on any street legal car.

Last edited by hf1; 10-16-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:52 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

I found another option but so expensive! I need to confirm it will fit the spyder.

Competition Motorsport Performance Harness Bar for 718

Old 11-10-2020, 03:00 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
I found another option but so expensive! I need to confirm it will fit the spyder.

Competition Motorsport Performance Harness Bar for 718
look at agency power.

Quick Reply: Harness/Roll bar options for spyder