Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Tow hooks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 01:37 AM
ski35off
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tow hooks?

Has anyone found tow hooks that will work for front and back? My old 981 GT4 tow hooks from Rennline don't seem to have the same thread pitch.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:52 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ski35off
Has anyone found tow hooks that will work for front and back? My old 981 GT4 tow hooks from Rennline don't seem to have the same thread pitch.
Have you contacted Rennline? They show the same tie downs for the 981 and 718. Since I was planning to order a set, it would be good to know for sure.

Ron
Old 10-15-2020, 01:58 AM
ski35off
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbauer
Have you contacted Rennline? They show the same tie downs for the 981 and 718. Since I was planning to order a set, it would be good to know for sure.

Ron
I have... just waiting for a reply. While poking around their site, I came across their installation instructions, which state:
Note: Due to strength and vibration concerns, most tow hooks will only thread in a 1/2 turn by hand. If your hook fits like this, ensure it is threading in straight and not cross-threaded, and use a 19mm socket to slowly turn the screw in. It should screw in smoothly with consistent effort until it bottoms out. After initial install tools will likely not be needed. This is intentional and when comparing the threads of your Rennline tow hook to the factory tow hook, you will notice a substantial difference in thread profiles. This is also an important part of the design.

So perhaps my 981 hooks will work. I will test this in a couple of days (car is getting ceramic coated tomorrow).

Last edited by ski35off; 10-15-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:01 AM
ronbauer
Pro

I have... just waiting for a reply. While poking around their site, I came across their installation instructions, which state:
Note: Due to strength and vibration concerns, most tow hooks will only thread in a 1/2 turn by hand. If your hook fits like this, ensure it is threading in straight and not cross-threaded, and use a 19mm socket to slowly turn the screw in. It should screw in smoothly with consistent effort until it bottoms out. After initial install tools will likely not be needed. This is intentional and when comparing the threads of your Rennline tow hook to the factory tow hook, you will notice a substantial difference in thread profiles. This is also an important part of the design.

So perhaps my 981 hooks will work. I will test this in a couple of days (car is getting ceramic coated tomorrow).
Now that I think further, you’re talking about the tow hooks that go through the bumpers, correct? I’m looking at their tie downs.

Ron
Old 10-15-2020, 08:32 AM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I ordered tie downs from Rennline. I’ve used their products for years. Normally, these have been rings that attach at hard points under the car. The 718 GT4 has full Underbody cladding. The fronts attach plates onto the front jacking points, which will work, but I’m not in love with. It boogers up the jacking point and prevents use of the keyed blocks that I use to protect the rockers from contacting the lift arms.

The rear tie downs are the same as those for the 981 chassis. The problem is, the 718/982 has full underbody cladding, which covers the attachment point for the tie downs. Rennline seemed to be unaware of this situation when I called them back. I’m sending the rear ones back. I’m wondering what I’ll be doing to tow this car. I’m not a fan of wheel ties, but that may be the main option.

Last edited by TurboCup87; 10-15-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:40 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
I ordered tie downs from Rennline. I’ve used their products for years. Normally, these have been rings that attach at hard points under the car. The 718 GT4 has full Underbody cladding. The fronts attach plates onto the front jacking points, which will work, but I’m not in love with. It boogers up the jacking point and prevents use of the keyed blocks that I use to protect the rockers from contacting the lift arms.

The rear tie downs are the same as those for the 981 chassis. The problem is, the 718/982 has full underbody cladding, which covers the attachment point for the tie downs. Rennline seemed to be unaware of this situation when I called them back. I’m sending the rear ones back. I’m wondering what I’ll be doing to tow this car. I’m not a fan of wheel ties, but that may be the main option.
This is quite unfortunate. Glad I didn't order them yet. I guess I'll have to wait until the car gets here and put it on my lift to see if there's another option. I plan to tow it around a fair amount in my enclosed trailer and have been using their tie downs on my other cars....

Ron
Old 10-15-2020, 03:51 PM
arudeone
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 14 Posts

For the tie down question, I started this thread a bit back:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...n-options.html

TLDR: you can use t-hooks in the frame at the jack points to attach tie down straps if you don't like wheel straps or nets.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:25 PM
okroger
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Previous gen front tow hook will not work on 718.
we test fit a new blank a few weeks back and it should likely be in production soon, if it isnt already.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:34 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Originally Posted by arudeone
For the tie down question, I started this thread a bit back:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...n-options.html

TLDR: you can use t-hooks in the frame at the jack points to attach tie down straps if you don't like wheel straps or nets.
I’ll check out that thread, but I want a permanent solution, not one that I have to put in each time.

Ron
Old 10-15-2020, 04:39 PM
ronbauer
Pro

I’ll check out that thread, but I want a permanent solution, not one that I have to put in each time.

Ron
And to add to this, tying a car down in an enclosed trailer is way different than doing it on an open trailer. Access is much more limited in an enclosed trailer (which I have.)

Ron
Old 10-15-2020, 04:49 PM
arudeone
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 14 Posts

And to add to this, tying a car down in an enclosed trailer is way different than doing it on an open trailer. Access is much more limited in an enclosed trailer (which I have.)

Ron
Yep, completely understand. Just a PSA that this method can be used...your trailer configuration, etc. may make this more or less desirable.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 PM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I got mine installed it but didn’t take a photo yet, the corrected one is for 718 Rev2 type and it works with our 718 GT4 yes.
https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Fo...o/E19.238/718/
Old 10-15-2020, 11:56 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I went with the GT4 Clubsport tow straps. If you google "GT4 Clubsport OMP Tow Straps" there are a number of retailers that carry them.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:10 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

I've been running Rennline's folding tow hook on the front of my '19 CGTS since February. I used part #E19.208 (REV2). Last time I checked they still didn't have a solution for the rear, but the OEM one works there just fine.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:57 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Any resolution on this? Good fit or not? Are the GT4 CS good to go?

Quick Reply: Tow hooks?