Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Trying to buy a new GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020 | 04:54 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Default Trying to buy a new GTS 4.0

Well, I guess I am surprised how hard it is to get into a Porsche. I knew I would have to wait if I am ordering the car, but late next year?! It's probably worth it, but I didn't realize there would be a waiting list and that only a certain number of cars are allocated per dealership.

Any advice from you knowledgeable guys out there? I can get on the waiting list for one at a local dealership, but other dealerships are asking for a deposit, so being on multiple doesn't make sense. Can I bypass the dealership and get on a list elsewhere and have it delivered anywhere in the Northwest?

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2020 | 08:15 PM
hsattley
Instructor

You should post this in the 718 GTS 4.0/GT4/Spyder subforum - you'll get better answers there.

You're correct about the allocations - each dealership gets a certain number of allocations for a specific model, and that allocation is generally determined by the model's demand in the dealership's market, i.e. a dealer in LA will get more convertible allocations than a dealer in Ann Arbor. It's less of an issue to get an allocation for the higher-volume cars such as the 911 Carreras, Macans, Cayennes, and now Taycans. For lower-volume cars like the 718, allocations are more difficult to come by, though the current super-long waiting list for the GTS 4.0 is mainly due to high demand for a new model (it does mark the return of the 6-cylinder to a non-GT 718, after all). It should be easier to find an allocation in the coming months as Porsche catches up with the flood of initial orders and the waiting lists get shorter, but I would definitely get on the waiting list at your local dealership for now.

There are quite a few dealerships that are more than happy to work with out of state customers and ship new cars to the customer's home state - I would suggest you ask people who've gotten a GTS 4.0 allocation what their process was.

Last edited by hsattley; 10-14-2020 at 08:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Paiceyfan (10-16-2020)
Old 10-14-2020 | 10:33 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Dealerships can also trade allocations. When I ordered my 16 BGTS and the build date was slow getting set - I put the screws to the dealer and had them make something happen. They traded a 911 GTS build slot for my Boxster GTS build slot and within a few weeks I had a confirmed build date.
Paiceyfan (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020 | 04:47 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Thanks...all useful stuff.

Oh, found the subforum...I guess this is in the wrong place as it is a 718 and not 981

Last edited by Paiceyfan; 10-15-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2020 | 09:02 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Just put a refundable waitlist deposit with the three dealers closest to you with instructions for your preferred delivery time next year and sit tight while playing with the configurator. Calls/emails will soon start coming as their lists keep getting filled with orders or change. Odds for you to get it when you want are very high. Note that most other waitlist entries have probably done the same, so when they receive a slot at one dealer, then they remove themselves from the other lists so you move a spot closer to the top. Also scan this forum occasionally as dealer allocations may randomly pop. Good luck!
Paiceyfan (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020 | 11:26 AM
sonicworld
Pro

Originally Posted by Paiceyfan
Well, I guess I am surprised how hard it is to get into a Porsche. I knew I would have to wait if I am ordering the car, but late next year?! It's probably worth it, but I didn't realize there would be a waiting list and that only a certain number of cars are allocated per dealership.

Any advice from you knowledgeable guys out there? I can get on the waiting list for one at a local dealership, but other dealerships are asking for a deposit, so being on multiple doesn't make sense. Can I bypass the dealership and get on a list elsewhere and have it delivered anywhere in the Northwest?

Thanks.
What country are you trying to purchase in? I live in the Northeast of U.S. and had no trouble finding an allocation.
Old 10-16-2020 | 11:30 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sonicworld
What country are you trying to purchase in? I live in the Northeast of U.S. and had no trouble finding an allocation.

Thanks.
See bold... assuming USA

Last edited by n4v4nod; 10-16-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-16-2020 | 04:38 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Correct Northwest U.S.A...I guess it could be Northwest Siberia, too
Old 10-16-2020 | 07:21 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

It’s not so much about where you live, it’s all about how well your dealership is run and what relationships they have with their peers.

The first factor in Allocations are a fairly complex calculation and I don’t know the specific details for Porsche but they generally are based on the sales volume, by model your dealer had in the previous quarters. There are also tie ins, meaning to get 1 allocation of a hot model they need to take allocations on less popular ones. The dealer ultimately makes the decision on what to order and since they get advanced, confidential information then it’s incumbent on them to order and deliver similar models In the quarters preceding the introduction of the “hot” model to insure adequate allocation, if they really want to.

The second factor in the allocation dance is the ability to trade allocation. Some dealers, especially the ones who have been long standing dealers “collect” valuable allocations and are able to trade them to serve their customers. In my case that is exactly what happened. I called them up looking for a Spyder allocation with my 981 BGTS in trade. They absolutely wanted my car, offered me a very fair price and said, “we will get an allocation”, they didn’t have one at the time. Now understand I have a relationship with them, they know me and I know them so I did the deal assuming it may be a few weeks until I had a legit order, commission number, V200 status and all. I dropped off my BGTS at noon 2 weeks ago (pre trade), went to lunch and made the hour drive home. 2 hours later I get a call wanting to go over the build so they can enter it, 10 minutes later I get an email with the screen shot showing the commission number and status. They traded an allocation they had (they didn’t tell me what but the GM told me earlier that day they had some “juicy” allocation available) for a December build Spyder allocation with a northern dealer who didn’t want a drop top on the lot in January in Michigan.

So the moral of this story, find a savvy dealer and let them do all the heavy lifting.
Old 10-29-2020 | 03:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

@Paiceyfan Cayman or Boxster GTS?
Old 10-29-2020 | 09:12 PM
40th Mike
Advanced

Allocations are out there. I just confirmed an early Dec build of a Cayman GTS 4.0 last week. Atlanta area
Old 11-03-2020 | 04:31 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

I posted elsewhere, but not here...I did get an allocation in the end after calling around various Californian dealerships with no luck. Actually, most of them didn't know the difference between a GT4 and GTS 4.0...GO FIGURE.

Luckily, my local dealer had an allocation and I jumped up three places on the list and got it. Just have to wait a LONG time now for the car, but it will be worth it. No price break at this point...just free maintenance for two years...hope I get decent money on the trade.
Old 11-03-2020 | 04:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I posted elsewhere, but not here...I did get an allocation in the end after calling around various Californian dealerships with no luck. Actually, most of them didn't know the difference between a GT4 and GTS 4.0...GO FIGURE.

Luckily, my local dealer had an allocation and I jumped up three places on the list and got it. Just have to wait a LONG time now for the car, but it will be worth it. No price break at this point...just free maintenance for two years...hope I get decent money on the trade.
Told you. Congrats!
Paiceyfan (11-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Trying to buy a new GTS 4.0