Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Storage - Board Wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020 | 10:23 AM
SomeoneCall911
Intermediate

Default Storage - Board Wisdom

I live in an older city in an older home, one built before garages were a thing. I have done a tremendous amount of searching in the area and storage options for my GT4 boil down to two:

1. A high-service, high-end automobile storage business (trickle chargers, covers, detailing available, etc.) that is about an hour away and has quite limited hours of operation.
2. A normal self-storage facility (a rolling garage door and a 10x20 plain space) that is 15 minutes away and where I would have 24 hour access.

The question is this - does anyone store their vehicle in a normal self-storage facility? While the other place is no doubt better, the use of the car would be severely restricted - meaning for me no early morning weekend drives (nice place opens late and closes early), no weekday drives at all due to my work schedule, etc. The self-storage facility is in an acceptable location from a crime perspective, but of course I would want to check on it quite often, move the car and make sure no flat spots develop, battery remains charged, etc. To be clear, I am not looking for a place where the car is going to sit for months at a time - I drive it at couple times a month, and would like to drive it more.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 10-05-2020 | 11:23 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

I See you live in Texas, where I would assume that you would get more over winter driving time, so if I were you, I’d opt for the closer location.
Old 10-05-2020 | 11:24 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Number 2 sounds good to me in your situation as long as it is secure.

FWIW, I left my 991 in unheated garage at home 3-5 months a year during winter and had no issues after 7 years. I try to take it out if roads are dry and salt free. Sometimes only once a month if I am lucky during winter. You don’t have to worry about any of that.

Air up tire, trickle charger should be all you need if you are not taking it out that much. If you take it once a week, you probably don’t need to do anything. Maybe set rodent traps?
Old 10-05-2020 | 01:46 PM
markoware
Instructor

My father stored his Datsun Z in a #2 option over a few winters and it worked out well. Close to the house and he'd go drive the car on nice days to keep it in shape (and for fun). The 10x20 sounds nice because it would be easy to get in/out of the car. In my dad's case it was s super tight fit so squeezing in and out of the car wasn't ideal. For me there wouldn't be much, if any, advantage to the #1 option. Maybe if I had a bunch of cars or a really expensive car I rarely drove it would make more sense vs #2.
Old 10-05-2020 | 01:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Make sure the self storage place allows cars to be stored there. I looked into this a few years back and most of them I talked to would not allow cars in the storage areas due to environmental/fire concerns.
Old 10-05-2020 | 01:55 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

None of those. This:

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...howcase-indoor

Never take your eyes off of her.
Old 10-05-2020 | 01:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by phefner
None of those. This:

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...howcase-indoor

Never take your eyes off of her.
That's an indoor capsule. He doesn't have the option of indoor at home.
Old 10-05-2020 | 02:40 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Just watch for rodents in that sort of storage. Make sure to use bait traps, etc and keep them refilled regularly. Those little guys can wreck havoc on wiring harnesses.
Old 10-05-2020 | 03:01 PM
SomeoneCall911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Just watch for rodents in that sort of storage. Make sure to use bait traps, etc and keep them refilled regularly. Those little guys can wreck havoc on wiring harnesses.
Thanks to everyone for the comments - very helpful. I had not thought about rodents, but would definitely now take precautions for that. I have checked with the storage facility to make sure they allow cars - they do, and just require proof of title and insurance.
Old 10-05-2020 | 04:35 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

#2, no contest. Put peppermint oil on cotton ***** and spread them around the car, for protection against mice. No need to move the car back/forth for flatspots if you're going to be driving it at least once a month. Trickle charger would be nice if there's power in the unit.

I stored my first Porsche (new 06 Boxster S) like that at a self storage in the country for couple of years since our country rental didn't have a garage. Drove it every weekend and stored it there over winter -- but took the battery out for winter to trickle charge it as there were no power outlets.
Old 10-06-2020 | 12:45 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

There is a conventional storage facility here that allows cars or other vehicles to be stored.
Some of the people put a little solar panel outside the unit to run a trickle charger since these units do not have electricity. Might be an option for you.
Old 10-06-2020 | 12:53 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
There is a conventional storage facility here that allows cars or other vehicles to be stored.
Some of the people put a little solar panel outside the unit to run a trickle charger since these units do not have electricity. Might be an option for you.
That's a great idea!

Quick Reply: Storage - Board Wisdom