Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Any GTS 4.0 vs Spyder/GT4 comparo tests/reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020 | 11:54 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
Heh. While it’s certainly loud inside with the top up, it’s never felt louder than top down to me, and I’ve done many highway journeys with the top up. To me (with Dunlop tires) it only feels slightly louder inside than my old 987 Boxster. I’ve driven a couple 981 Boxsters, and they were also horribly loud in the cabin on highways.

Would be interesting to measure interior noise levels on the same pavement for a Boxster vs Spyder with the top up.
I wish I could, but I no longer have my 981S. But I took many trips from Pa to Ohio (5 hours) and back in the 981 over the 8 years that I owned it. It was as quite as my coupes. Also, my neighbor with a 991.1 remarked that he thought my 981 was quieter than his car at highway speeds. I’ve only had the Spyder for 900 miles, but I drove it on a 2 hour trip to NJ on Saturday (rained, so I had the top up). My wife said, “You’re going to have to buy me noise canceling headphones if we ever take this car on a trip again.” I wanted to listen to some podcasts, but I couldn’t hear it through the noise. Then I tried music, but I just couldn’t hear that through the noise either. I drive fast, but at 85 mph, the din is deafening. Up to about 70, it is ok.

I just drove it this morning for about 25 miles on windy back roads (top up because it’s sprinkling). The car is brilliant! I was listening to the Talking Heads (my all time favorite band). The music sounded great and the car is just brilliant without question, but a highway cruiser (granted, not its purpose) it is not.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (10-11-2020)
Old 09-28-2020 | 12:08 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I wish I could, but I no longer have my 981S. But I took many trips from Pa to Ohio (5 hours) and back in the 981 over the 8 years that I owned it. It was as quite as my coupes. Also, my neighbor with a 991.1 remarked that he thought my 981 was quieter than his car at highway speeds. I’ve only had the Spyder for 900 miles, but I drove it on a 2 hour trip to NJ on Saturday (rained, so I had the top up). My wife said, “You’re going to have to buy me noise canceling headphones if we ever take this car on a trip again.” I wanted to listen to some podcasts, but I couldn’t hear it through the noise. Then I tried music, but I just couldn’t hear that through the noise either. I drive fast, but at 85 mph, the din is deafening. Up to about 70, it is ok.

I just drove it this morning for about 25 miles on windy back roads (top up because it’s sprinkling). The car is brilliant! I was listening to the Talking Heads (my all time favorite band). The music sounded great and the car is just brilliant without question, but a highway cruiser (granted, not its purpose) it is not.
Ah, I usually cruise around 75 mph, since that’s the average speed of traffic and cops let that go here, whereas 85 mph would probably get a ticket in Ontario if seen by a cop. However, sometimes traffic here moves at 90+ mph in which case I go with the flow and make sure I’m in the middle of the pack to avoid trouble. The 100 km/h Ontario highway speed limit is a joke.

Anyway, the difference in our cruising speeds is probably why we have different impressions. I don’t remember Boxsters being that much quieter, but more scientific measurements would be the way to determine that. I definitely drive the Spyder slower than my S class on the highway because of noise levels.

Last edited by wizee; 09-28-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2020 | 12:21 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
Ah, I usually cruise around 75 mph, since that’s the average speed of traffic and cops let that go here, whereas 85 mph would probably get a ticket in Ontario if seen by a cop. However, sometimes traffic here moves at 90+ mph in which case I go with the flow and make sure I’m in the middle of the pack to avoid trouble.

The 100 km/h Ontario highway speed limit is a joke. Anyway, the difference in our cruising speeds is probably why we have different impressions. I don’t remember Boxsters being that much quieter, but more scientific measurements would be the way to determine that.
I found this: It doesn't say which Boxster, but it does show the Boxster being a fair way down on this list. I can't find anything on the Spyder. And again, don't get me wrong. I like engine/exhaust sounds, but I can't hear anything but wind and tire nose and engine whine at high speeds.

http://elevatingsound.com/the-top-30...-by-auto-bild/
https://www.germancarforum.com/threa...decibels.7297/

From a C&D test: "It's not all glory, though. The Spyder's pairing of a softtop with huge, sticky Michelins creates some major tire noise. It's loud enough to drown out Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55" at modern freeway speeds."

Summary: LOWS: Burdensome tire and road noise, lacks low-end torque, fiddly top operation.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

I'm still quite happy that I bought the Spyder. I'm just bringing this up, because I think it should be a factor in comparing the Spyder to the GTS.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 09-28-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2020 | 12:27 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

The Boxster has more roof insulation and quieter tires -- should be quieter than the Spyder at any speed.
Old 10-01-2020 | 09:46 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
Anyone knows of any comparo tests/reviews of GTS 4.0 (Boxster/Cayman) vs Spyder/GT4? Plenty of time has passed since their introduction and I have yet to see such a comparo. Many reviewers mention how similar they are in their individual reviews but not in an actual comparo.
FYI. Inside this issue of Autocar September 30, they do a 718 GT4 vs 718 GTS 4.0 comparison review.

Old 10-01-2020 | 02:30 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

I hate myself for the fact that I'll happily pay up for the spyder with all of its compromises basically 100% because it looks so much better. No doubt performance-wise the difference will be negligible for most all drivers, and the roof is a PITA... oh well. looks when. Spyder looks are just about perfect. Makes the GTS look like a "cute" little brother or something to me.
DFW01TT (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020 | 02:43 AM
The Pinkoboe
Instructor

Here is the contents of the Autocar article:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...s-hardcore-gt4
The following 4 users liked this post by The Pinkoboe:
baege (10-11-2020), GTS-Jim (10-11-2020), kart driver (10-11-2020), Mercuriell (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020 | 10:11 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Pinkoboe
Here is the contents of the Autocar article:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...s-hardcore-gt4
Thx for the link! Below average review. Different seats, brakes, and tires spoil an apples to apples comparison.

At this point, as also described by slc4s couple of posts above, it boils down to looks vs practicality re spyder vs gts for me. Suffer for beauty or be practical, that’s it.

Everyone younger than 40 advises to suffer for beauty, everyone above 40 advises to be practical.

Last edited by hf1; 10-11-2020 at 10:16 AM.
rjag2034 (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020 | 02:45 PM
sraj
Advanced

Originally Posted by hf1
Thx for the link! Below average review. Different seats, brakes, and tires spoil an apples to apples comparison.

At this point, as also described by slc4s couple of posts above, it boils down to looks vs practicality re spyder vs gts for me. Suffer for beauty or be practical, that’s it.

Everyone younger than 40 advises to suffer for beauty, everyone above 40 advises to be practical.
Agree re: suboptimal review.

I would never get a Spyder for my daily driver, because of the roof, despite its cool looks. Very happy that my BGTS 4.0 will be nearly as sharp to drive, while being a much better everyday car. And still very pretty in its own right.

If I had wanted a fixed roof, I might have leaned to the GT4.

Last edited by sraj; 10-11-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2020 | 04:39 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1

I’m definitely over 40 and side with the beauty folks. The only time I considered the GTS was when they first talked about the 4.0 going in it, and that was only because I figured I’d actually be able to get one. Although I’d been on a list for a GT4 for a long time, I was beginning to think it would never happen. After mentioning it to my wife, she said “you’d never be happy with it.” She was right. The GT4 and Spyder both look SO much better and aggressive, that I could have never been fully happy with the GTS. Fast forward a slight amount of time, and our name got to the top of the list, and now our new GT4 is on a boat only a couple days away from the Panama Canal. Couldn’t be more excited or happy!

Ron
Old 10-11-2020 | 04:54 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronbauer
I’m definitely over 40 and side with the beauty folks. The only time I considered the GTS was when they first talked about the 4.0 going in it, and that was only because I figured I’d actually be able to get one. Although I’d been on a list for a GT4 for a long time, I was beginning to think it would never happen. After mentioning it to my wife, she said “you’d never be happy with it.” She was right. The GT4 and Spyder both look SO much better and aggressive, that I could have never been fully happy with the GTS. Fast forward a slight amount of time, and our name got to the top of the list, and now our new GT4 is on a boat only a couple days away from the Panama Canal. Couldn’t be more excited or happy!

Ron
Yes, if I was looking at a cayman, it would be the gt4, no contest. The beauty vs practicality equation is much closer with the boxster. I’ve been a boxster fanatic for more than a dozen years and tens of thousands of backroads miles, and have enjoyed that power top hundreds of times. It would be a hard thing to give up for beauty.

Can’t wait to see pics of your python/aurum beauty! That combo is high on my list, as well.

Last edited by hf1; 10-11-2020 at 04:56 PM.
ronbauer (10-13-2020)
Old 10-11-2020 | 05:25 PM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes, if I was looking at a cayman, it would be the gt4, no contest. The beauty vs practicality equation is much closer with the boxster. I’ve been a boxster fanatic for more than a dozen years and tens of thousands of backroads miles, and have enjoyed that power top hundreds of times. It would be a hard thing to give up for beauty.

Can’t wait to see pics of your python/aurum beauty! That combo is high on my list, as well.
I thought you liked the Spyder roof?
JAhmed (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020 | 05:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
I thought you liked the Spyder roof?
You think too much.
Old 10-11-2020 | 06:21 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
There is another difference that hasn’t been discussed. The manual top doesn’t bother me. It’s actually pretty easy. But the uninsulated top of the Spyder makes the cabin absurdly noisy. Yeah, I know, the car is supposed to be driven with the top down. But there is something called rain and very cold weather where you are going to have to put the top up. The noise in the cabin with the top up is close to the point where hearing damage will occur. And forget about trying to listen to music! I find that when I drive my Mini or my BMW, I tend to drive faster because I can hit 90 or faster without really noticing. But in the Spyder, with the top up, I find myself going 75 - 80 and thinking I must be flying because of all the noise. With the top down (how I intend to drive whenever I can), the car is close to perfection. But I’m completely shocked at how loud (not is a good way - it’s just wind, road noise, and engine whine) this car is compared to my 981S. In my 981S, I’d have no issue embarking on a 5 hour trip. With the Spyder, I think 1.5 hours is about all I could stand with the top up before my ears start to bleed. I think the car is actually quieter (or at least easier on the ears) with the top down.
Woah!!! It is loud, but it isn't THAT bad, IMO. There really is no wind noise. There front part of the roof is thick, solid and insulated and that allows the high top speed with the roof up. If you listen carefully, ALL the noise is from the rear and it is all road, engine and tire noise that is dissipated with the top down. The roof is just there for inclement weather. This is not a car that is really meant to be driven long distances with the roof up. That said, I have driven it over 2 hours and after about 20 minutes, my brain "adjusts" to he road noise and filters it out to a degree.
Old 10-11-2020 | 07:33 PM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
You think too much.
It's just truly remarkable how often you can post about a cars roof. Please do us all a favor and buy a 718. Nobody cares if you get a GTS or a Spyder or your opinion on the roof of either.
triode (10-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Any GTS 4.0 vs Spyder/GT4 comparo tests/reviews?