Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Any GTS 4.0 vs Spyder/GT4 comparo tests/reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020 | 07:41 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
If you’re choosing between the gts 4.0 vs gt4/spyder based on price, I’m not sure you understand either of the cars.
What if you literally can’t afford the other one?
Old 11-07-2020 | 07:49 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
What if you literally can’t afford the other one?
CPO ? Not to be that guy, but if $12K makes a difference between your dream Porsche and your settling Porsche, you’re doing it wrong.
Old 11-07-2020 | 07:50 PM
Csquared-
Instructor

If you’re choosing between the gts 4.0 vs gt4/spyder based on price, I’m not sure you understand either of the cars.
In fairness, I would say to some extent this is quite true (if any individual's decision is solely based on price). But I would kindly point out, there are those of us who would openly prefer being in the GT4 / Spyder, however the 4.0 options are more realistic at this stage. My original post in this thread tried to lay out that very sentiment.
Old 11-07-2020 | 07:54 PM
Csquared-
Instructor

CPO ? Not to be that guy, but if $12K makes a difference between your dream Porsche and your settling Porsche, you’re doing it wrong.
Agreed to some extent as well. But, as has been discussed at nauseum, the difference is much wider than the 12k you are referencing in Canada vs. the US (see figures posted above, or have a look at the Canadian config). There are some that just don't feel like forking out the extra $20k+ at this stage, but point taken in terms of if a small amount makes or breaks as I too side with that logic.
Old 11-07-2020 | 07:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

If +20% should never make a difference, then +20% from there shouldn't make a difference either, and +20% from there... But you have to stop at some point. That is the point where the last +20% makes a difference. Everyone must have such a stopping point, by definition, as numbers go to infinity.
The following 2 users liked this post by hf1:
Racer20 (11-08-2020), wizee (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020 | 08:32 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Agree, gently used to get your dream car would be better than settling (even though you’d still have a killer car lol)

Originally Posted by hf1
If +20% should never make a difference, then +20% from there shouldn't make a difference either, and +20% from there... But you have to stop at some point. That is the point where the last +20% makes a difference. Everyone must have such a stopping point, by definition, as numbers go to infinity.
This is pretty much it.
Old 11-07-2020 | 09:09 PM
rjag2034
Racer

No idea where you get $12k when its $20k in Canada. You make it sound so trivial but buying a $110k car as opposed to a $130k car. It may be for you....but dont be so dismissive
Old 11-07-2020 | 11:35 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Bxtr gts 4.0: in addition to power top, the option to spec heated/AC’d/leather sofas is a consideration for me. I’d spec a bgts 4.0 to be a pure convenient cruiser. I have other stuff that is already WAY more PITA GT vs convenience. So, this purchase would be about spec’ing the most functional, useable, convenient, comfortable drop-top mid-engine manual gt engine porsche I can get: one step below a DD build. And for some reason (i need to check why), i swear my gts build was closer to 20k discount to my spyder build, but I’d need to see what is driving it, because I realize the base isn’t that wide (and for some reason my codes stopped working?).

IDK if I will order a 718, but I have decided if I do, I’m forgoing some GT bits and humps for max function/comfort. I have owned max-experience, zero regard for useability cars most of my car-hobby. If I do something new, it is going to be the most limo/luxo-718 I can get with this 4.0+manual combo. Yes I think spyder is better looking, better value and will have better resale. I would just want something different out of this potential purchase/spot in the lineup.

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 11-07-2020 at 11:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rjag2034 (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020 | 12:17 AM
buzzlulu
Advanced

I SO AGREE with the above post by Jrtaylor9!

Back in July I ordered a 4.0 GTS Boxster LOADED TO THE HEAP - $108k. It will replace my 2000 Boxster S which has served me faithfully for 20 years (well technically not replace as I will be keeping it as well). I am 60 and do not do track days - just fun everyday back road driving. Comfort and convenience is important to me. I went with full red leather, full Carbon everywhere, ventilated 14 ways, premium package, PASM +10, and the list goes on. Living in the Northeast our roads are awful. I want to be comfortable and ordered every luxury available.
My car is sitting at the Port in Rhode Island just waiting for 12/4

The following 2 users liked this post by buzzlulu:
rjag2034 (11-08-2020), UncleDude (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020 | 11:47 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Bxtr gts 4.0: in addition to power top, the option to spec heated/AC’d/leather sofas is a consideration for me. I’d spec a bgts 4.0 to be a pure convenient cruiser. I have other stuff that is already WAY more PITA GT vs convenience. So, this purchase would be about spec’ing the most functional, useable, convenient, comfortable drop-top mid-engine manual gt engine porsche I can get: one step below a DD build. And for some reason (i need to check why), i swear my gts build was closer to 20k discount to my spyder build, but I’d need to see what is driving it, because I realize the base isn’t that wide (and for some reason my codes stopped working?).

IDK if I will order a 718, but I have decided if I do, I’m forgoing some GT bits and humps for max function/comfort. I have owned max-experience, zero regard for useability cars most of my car-hobby. If I do something new, it is going to be the most limo/luxo-718 I can get with this 4.0+manual combo. Yes I think spyder is better looking, better value and will have better resale. I would just want something different out of this potential purchase/spot in the lineup.
Finally a post about the cars vs the cost differential. This completely makes sense. Buy the one that's a better fit for your needs. They are both awesome (finally 718 options with NA engines) but have slightly different applications.

Although my conclusion (for me) would be the opposite of yours . Ever since I sold my harder core, louder, rawer Car and am left with a 991 TT (that I love for DD duties), i have considered a 718 Boxster to add to my Turbo.

My desire for the Boxster therefore would be to get the opposite of what I have now. So the opposite of my 991 is - not a more comfortable, GT, DD roadster with PDK. If I got the 718 4.0 in PDK it would be too "similar" to my current car. If I had a GT3 manual, i would likely get the GTS in PDK - see

So I am leaning to a manual 718 Spyder with less frills for weekend fun duties. Only frill i consider must have would be Burmester (I do like good sound) even if its "wasted" in a car that's loud and acoustically challenged. But I would get the GT bits and bobs and sacrifice comfort and DD etc. And that's completely fine to me. Still haven't decided if its a 718 Spyder or a GT3 manual. But I am not in a rush - time horizon would be spring / summer.

Last edited by rodsky; 11-08-2020 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Csquared- (11-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Any GTS 4.0 vs Spyder/GT4 comparo tests/reviews?