Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

I'm Impressed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 08:42 PM
2020Spyder
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 37 Posts
Default I'm Impressed!!

I am finally getting a few miles on my Spyder, and I am now able to run up the rev range a bit more. I was on a quick morning drive on the twistys near my house and I got it over 6K rpm. I was impressed!! It was almost brutal in the way that it accelerated out of the corners and it just kept running hard past 6K. This is my first Porsche, so I am not aware of how this car compares to others in the line. I will say that I think that the exhaust is nice when the revs rise over the 3,700-4,000 rpm mark.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (10-03-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 09:09 PM
prouse
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I couldn't agree more. Rolled over 500 miles today and raised the revs to around 6,000. I absolutely love the thing. Going to wait a couple more hundred miles before taking it to red line.

Was able to start sliding the rear around a little. So controllable and rewarding. What a great machine.
2020Spyder (09-20-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 01:35 PM
bigdog1250
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 46 Posts

OP - What were you driving before the Spyder?
Old 09-21-2020, 02:02 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020Spyder
I am finally getting a few miles on my Spyder, and I am now able to run up the rev range a bit more. I was on a quick morning drive on the twistys near my house and I got it over 6K rpm. I was impressed!! It was almost brutal in the way that it accelerated out of the corners and it just kept running hard past 6K. This is my first Porsche, so I am not aware of how this car compares to others in the line. I will say that I think that the exhaust is nice when the revs rise over the 3,700-4,000 rpm mark.
And now, you are hooked for life - like the most of us.
The following 2 users liked this post by VEGAM:
2020Spyder (09-21-2020), phefner (10-04-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 02:29 PM
2020Spyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigdog1250
OP - What were you driving before the Spyder?
2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Last edited by 2020Spyder; 09-22-2020 at 03:12 AM. Reason: update details
Old 09-21-2020, 02:36 PM
2020Spyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by VEGAM
That's for sure!
Old 10-03-2020, 10:49 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Nice man. I currently have a 2018 2SS 1LE (with the ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings) and will be moving to the PDK GT4 next year.

Even though you have the Spyder, I would love to hear more about the differences from the SS 1LE. I love the high Lateral G limits of the SS 1LE ( I can see 1.15 to 1.2 g's around on/off ramps), depending on the bank of the turn. Would love to know if the Spyder/GT4 has as high of lateral G limits. You do feel the weight of the SS 1LE when driving it hard on the mountain roads.

Also, how would you compare the PASM suspension to the MRC? I find the MRC well controlled (especially as the speeds increase), but I wouldn't mind a little quicker rebound when upset mid-corner. Does the PASM settle the car when upset any faster than the MRC on the 1LE?

Overall would love to hear anything you care to share about the differences.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:29 AM
2020Spyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Nice man. I currently have a 2018 2SS 1LE (with the ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings) and will be moving to the PDK GT4 next year.

Even though you have the Spyder, I would love to hear more about the differences from the SS 1LE. I love the high Lateral G limits of the SS 1LE ( I can see 1.15 to 1.2 g's around on/off ramps), depending on the bank of the turn. Would love to know if the Spyder/GT4 has as high of lateral G limits. You do feel the weight of the SS 1LE when driving it hard on the mountain roads.

Also, how would you compare the PASM suspension to the MRC? I find the MRC well controlled (especially as the speeds increase), but I wouldn't mind a little quicker rebound when upset mid-corner. Does the PASM settle the car when upset any faster than the MRC on the 1LE?

Overall would love to hear anything you care to share about the differences.
Congrats on getting a GT4! I really lilked the way the SS 1LE handled, I had autocrossed it a few times and it was a blast to drive. The limits on that car are really high, the Camaro team did an awesome job on the chassis tuning. I'm still getting used to the Spyder, it feels very well sorted and the mid-engine architecture lends to a different drive when compared to the Camaro. I do feel the difference between the weights of the cars, the Spyder feels more flickable and ready to turn. I like the PASM, the car feels more in tune with the road, the MRC is great as well, but the Spyder seems more dialed in. The PASM seems to settle the car more when I hit a mid-turn bump and the car grips amazingly well. Both cars have high g-limits, I would say that you will see the same g's in your GT4 as you did in your Camaro. I recently watched a cool video of a Spyder and a GT4 on the Nurburgring, I was amazed at how well the Spyder ran on track. I would like to hear from someone who has both, or has driven both of our cars to understand the difference between the GT4 and the Spyder. Let me know your thoughts once you have some seat time in your GT4.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:40 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Congrats on getting a GT4! I really lilked the way the SS 1LE handled, I had autocrossed it a few times and it was a blast to drive. The limits on that car are really high, the Camaro team did an awesome job on the chassis tuning. I'm still getting used to the Spyder, it feels very well sorted and the mid-engine architecture lends to a different drive when compared to the Camaro. I do feel the difference between the weights of the cars, the Spyder feels more flickable and ready to turn. I like the PASM, the car feels more in tune with the road, the MRC is great as well, but the Spyder seems more dialed in. The PASM seems to settle the car more when I hit a mid-turn bump and the car grips amazingly well. Both cars have high g-limits, I would say that you will see the same g's in your GT4 as you did in your Camaro. I recently watched a cool video of a Spyder and a GT4 on the Nurburgring, I was amazed at how well the Spyder ran on track. I would like to hear from someone who has both, or has driven both of our cars to understand the difference between the GT4 and the Spyder. Let me know your thoughts once you have some seat time in your GT4.
Thanks for the insights. I will definitely share once I have mine, but it's still about 9 mths out timing wise.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:43 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Oh, also, after it is all broken in, I would love to hear your thoughts on if feels as fast or faster in the straight line full throttle compared to the 1LE.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:18 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Even though you have the Spyder, I would love to hear more about the differences from the SS 1LE. I love the high Lateral G limits of the SS 1LE ( I can see 1.15 to 1.2 g's around on/off ramps), depending on the bank of the turn. Would love to know if the Spyder/GT4 has as high of lateral G limits.
Steady state road holding lateral g’s like that are almost entirely down to the tires.

The biggest advantage of the GT4 will be in lateral transitions (quick changes of direction), although the Cups 2’s should also stick well beyond 1.2g (go try it on a rare track). I wouldn’t be surprised to see something around 1.5g (particularly if there is a vertical compression involved, i.e. a hard corner while the track is simultaneously rising steeply).

Last edited by GrantG; 10-04-2020 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:03 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Steady state road holding lateral g’s like that are almost entirely down to the tires.

The biggest advantage of the GT4 will be in lateral transitions (quick changes of direction), although the Cups 2’s should also stick well beyond 1.2g (go try it on a rare track). I wouldn’t be surprised to see something around 1.5g (particularly if there is a vertical compression involved, i.e. a hard corner while the track is simultaneously rising steeply).
I was hitting 1.1-1.15G on the on board computer, when I did my PEC delivery, on their slalom. I’m not a particularly good driver either so it’s got way more than this. I felt like I could have pushed harder but there’s never enough time to get familiar with everything. The light weight really transforms a car. I always drove cars in the 34-3600 range and dropping to ~3100 is a huge difference you feel at higher limits. I’m not sure I could go back to a heavier car unless it is a GT cruiser.
AlexCeres (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 07:17 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
I’m not sure I could go back to a heavier car unless it is a GT cruiser.
That is a large part of the addiction. Lots of high powered cars out there, but very few drive like a Porsche.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:02 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGAM
Yep. Was just talking to a buddy of mine who moved to an M4 after a Carrera GTS since he wanted something a little "milder". He is going back to Porsche.

His words..."It just isn't the same". Porsche is truly in a class of its own. Somewhere in between the other premium German brands and full blown exotics, while still having enough of a global presence to be practical to actually own and drive. It is really hard to go back to anything else. My daily driver is a Macan GTS, and it is so immensely capable in that regard also. For the enthusiast driver, there is absolutely no better blend of sport and real world usability.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:53 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Yep. Was just talking to a buddy of mine who moved to an M4 after a Carrera GTS since he wanted something a little "milder". He is going back to Porsche.
Ha, I did the same thing...base 991.1 to a tuned 1M then back to a 991.2 and so on...

Quick Reply: I'm Impressed!!