Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Track day thoughts 718 GT4 from 981

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020 | 08:39 PM
mprog
Racer

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Another option is to use camber plates...they add -1 degree and fix some of the caster but since you will be getting more camber from the top than adding shims on the LCA your caster stays closer to OEM.
Also, if you plan to run a wider tire up front moving it inside the fender by going this route is a good idea....I tried to run DHs in 275 up front just with shims and it would touch the front edge of the fender. Problem gone after using the camber plates.
The caster pucks do have one advantage in that they are solid not rubber like OEM.
Yeah, if I was able to do it over again, I would go the camber plate route instead. 👍🏼
Old 09-17-2020 | 01:45 PM
katzndogs
Instructor

Originally Posted by mprog
Yeah, if I was able to do it over again, I would go the camber plate route instead. 👍🏼
Originally Posted by jmartpr
Another option is to use camber plates...they add -1 degree and fix some of the caster but since you will be getting more camber from the top than adding shims on the LCA your caster stays closer to OEM.
Also, if you plan to run a wider tire up front moving it inside the fender by going this route is a good idea....I tried to run DHs in 275 up front just with shims and it would touch the front edge of the fender. Problem gone after using the camber plates.
The caster pucks do have one advantage in that they are solid not rubber like OEM.
How much more noise can you expect on the road when running camber plates on this car. Coming from a F80 M3, the camber plates caused a noticeable increase in NVH.
Old 09-17-2020 | 01:46 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by katzndogs
How much more noise can you expect on the road when running camber plates on this car. Coming from a F80 M3, the camber plates caused a noticeable increase in NVH.
At least on my 981 GT4 none that I recall......
Old 09-18-2020 | 12:38 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

None because on the GT4 there's no change to the bushings. On the M3 you'd be going from stock rubber bushings to a spherical or poly bushing with aftermarket camber plates.
Old 09-18-2020 | 12:40 AM
mprog
Racer

interesting... I did Ground Control camber plates and Dinan Monoballs on my F82 and at least the noise wasn’t that much more than stock. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 09-18-2020 | 12:23 PM
katzndogs
Instructor

Has anyone tracked the Dunlop Maxx 2 tires here? Tomorrow is my first run at it and if anyone has recommendations on where to start with cold pressures and what the target when the tires are hot, that would be great!

Thanks
Old 09-19-2020 | 01:41 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Has anyone tracked the Dunlop Maxx 2 tires here? Tomorrow is my first run at it and if anyone has recommendations on where to start with cold pressures and what the target when the tires are hot, that would be great!

Thanks
my buddy ran them at around 34psi hot and he was pretty quick, however on stock alignment he killed the front tire. It had chunks missing by the end of the day. If running on a stock alignment I would run them at higher psi to avoid destroying them too quickly. They are fast street tires no doubt about it.
Old 09-20-2020 | 06:08 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks
They like slightly higher pressure than Cups. Mid-30’s hot. I’d recommend not setting pressures much lower than the street pressures when you go out. You’ll have to release some air as they heat up, but starting off with low pressures (Mid 20’s) to avoid pitting and bleeding will kill the shoulders (or even cause chunking or delamination) unless you drive very gingerly until they’re hot.

Last edited by GrantG; 09-20-2020 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2020 | 11:13 AM
mprog
Racer

Since a few of you have mentioned springs... I’m trying to avoid changing the springs in my 718 GT4. The car is softer than my previous track car, but it seems ok.

Anyone’s have thoughts on how much of an improvement the Tarret set are?
Old 09-21-2020 | 10:07 AM
katzndogs
Instructor

I ended up running my ties at approx. 33F and 35R. Felt great by the end of the day and the front shoulders looked OK. I have 2 more days coming up this weekend and I will dial in alignment this week.

Old 09-22-2020 | 12:21 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

On 981 I couldn't get caster right until I did camber plates. I also ended up with some slight fender damage at one point as a result of not having the wheel placement right. Camber plates fixed it.

Since a few of you have mentioned springs... I’m trying to avoid changing the springs in my 718 GT4. The car is softer than my previous track car, but it seems ok.

Anyone’s have thoughts on how much of an improvement the Tarret set are?
I haven't tried on 718 but they were a nice improvement on 981. I'm considering just going for a full MCS swap this time around. My reasoning is Porsche designs the damper with a certain spring rate in mind and messing with that is going to upset the balance of it all.

I also wasn't super happy with the ride height change after Tarret kit either, that extra bit of drop makes a lot more pain in the butt on the road and loading in trailer.

Last edited by pkh; 09-22-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2020 | 01:53 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Got my 3rd track day in yesterday in my new 718 GT4. The car still felt really loose while on throttle mid corner so I decided to go back to medium on rear sway bar (front still on medium.) After that it settled down quite a bit, though turn-in required trail braking to get where I wanted. Not the worst thing.

I am still hoping to go slightly bigger on my rear tires next round, 295 or 305s.

Also while changing the sway bar I realized this car is going to be a bit more difficult to get on jackstands. On my old car I had the Rennline center jack point which was really handy, but with all the under car aero I am not sure thats a good call and I am not even seeing where it would bolt to.

Last edited by pkh; 09-25-2020 at 06:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Traind (01-08-2021)
Old 11-10-2020 | 01:55 AM
ski35off
Advanced

We got my wife's 718 GT4 out on track for the first time at Portland International Raceway this weekend. First day was cold and wet, second day cold and dry. I hopped in for one session on the 2nd day, so first time ever in this car, and set my PB in a "street" GT4 at 1:23.64. Only a second slower than my 981 Clubsport on that day. Setup: -4.0 degrees camber front, -2.7 degrees camper rear, 0 toe front/rear, corner balanced. Stock springs. AP Racing BBK. RE71Rs on 19" Forgelines, but pretty close to heat cycled out. The engine is strong. About 6 mph faster than the Clubsport on the back straightway.

Video:

For comparison, video of me chasing a Ferrari World Challenge car in the Clubsport:

Last edited by ski35off; 11-10-2020 at 12:54 PM. Reason: 18" -> 19" wheels
The following 5 users liked this post by ski35off:
Alan_S (12-04-2020), mr965 (11-10-2020), phefner (11-11-2020), Pokerhobo (11-10-2020), sobiloff (11-11-2020)
Old 11-10-2020 | 06:48 AM
WGBCGT4
AutoX

This is exactly what I'm running on 718 GT4 now ... required aftermarket (TPC Offset) toe links in the rear, and shims in the front, and I also installed RSS caster pucks to keep the wheels from moving too far forward after increased camber.
Did you’re 718 come with any shims up front from the factory? I’m reading some did and some did not. What size shims are you running? Also did you have to remove thebLCA to install the caster puck? They have 3 holes I believe. What hole did you use?

Maybe I will look into camber plate options. Trying to avoid to many modifications on this car. Like we all do , we tend to modify our cars. The more you mod the more issues you end up having! I’d be happy with -2.5 F and -1.8 R.
Old 11-10-2020 | 12:26 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ski35off
AP Racing BBK. RE71Rs on 18" Forgelines,
Hey is this a typo or were you able to get 18's to fit with the AP kit? They kinda look like 18s in the pic.

Quick Reply: Track day thoughts 718 GT4 from 981