Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Firm Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020 | 08:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
Agreed. Haven't driven a 718 GT4 yet but have driven a 981 GT4 over a variety of roads. But the key difference is firm (Porsche) vs crashy (bmw). In the bimmer, if you run over an acorn, it feels like you're going to bend a rim. Even my wife's current X3 is worse than my 981 Spyder
The 718 GT4 and the 981 Spyder are worlds apart on a bumpy road. I've owned both and they're not even in the same ballpark IMO.
Old 10-05-2020 | 08:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The 718 GT4 and the 981 Spyder are worlds apart on a bumpy road. I've owned both and they're not even in the same ballpark IMO.
How do they differ?
Old 10-05-2020 | 10:48 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Agreed. That's my point. I knew exactly what I was getting and it's what I wanted - a track car that I can drive on the streets. My point of this whole thread was simply to suggest to those folks looking for a daily driver and considering the GT4 to maybe not buy into all the comments about how compliant this car is and make sure to test drive one and make the decision for themselves. The GT4 is a street legal track day car IMO and a DD only for the most committed of enthusiasts. Again, just my opinion and, again, I'm not knocking the GT4. It's a perfect car and I will likely be dead before mine is out of my name.

I hear exactly what you are saying. We have had the exact same topic/thread on the Camaro6 forum for the ZL1 / SS 1LE or ZL1 1LE. The ZL1 1LE has an even more stiff suspension than the GT4 and is a track car first vs the MRC suspension on the Zl1 and SS 1LE.
Old 10-05-2020 | 10:50 PM
mr gregash
Banned

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
Agreed. Haven't driven a 718 GT4 yet but have driven a 981 GT4 over a variety of roads. But the key difference is firm (Porsche) vs crashy (bmw). In the bimmer, if you run over an acorn, it feels like you're going to bend a rim. Even my wife's current X3 is worse than my 981 Spyder
Yes, that is a good way to put it. The BMWs kind of feel like they're going to start breaking and falling apart whereas the Porsche feels solid as if it were milled from one solid piece. World of difference.
Old 10-05-2020 | 11:10 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Unsure of the disparity between a GT4 and Spyder but in driving my Spyder home on the backroads for about 4+ hours and some of these roads being more than a little pockmarked, I actually found the suspension surprisingly compliant. In fact I found myself opting for the firmer setting wherever the road wasn’t noticeably deteriorated.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020 | 11:31 PM
Xisthos
Advanced

I consider the GT4 soft even in the Sport setting after getting so used to driving the Exige daily.

Having said that, I want to be able to use the features of the car, so I installed the V3 DSC and have been speaking with the guys at Tractive. They gave me 2 files, one for the standard 718 GT4/Spyder, and another “Tractive” file. After testing both I told them the I only have the Sport mode off I’m in terrible roads or sitting in traffic. For everywhere else I turn on the Sport setting and would like to have a true performance setup with as little compromise as possible. So, for me what works best is to truly have a quite comfortable ride when it’s off as the setup does not have to accommodate even slightly spirited driving. Remember that for suspension setups, only you can really say what you prefer as they are 99% of the time, compromises.

They’re sending me that file this week, so if it sounds like this is more suited to your behavior and would like to try it out, PM me and I’ll share it with you.
DFW01TT (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020 | 11:34 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Unsure of the disparity between a GT4 and Spyder but in driving my Spyder home on the backroads for about 4+ hours and some of these roads being more than a little pockmarked, I actually found the suspension surprisingly compliant. In fact I found myself opting for the firmer setting wherever the road wasn’t noticeably deteriorated.
Same here. I find the Spyder quite compliant over rough pavement, and usually keep the suspension in stiff mode unless I have a more sensitive passenger. Kitchener/Waterloo roads are awfully cracked and potholed, yet in the Spyder they're fine even in stiff mode. It feels quite soft and comfortable compared to my previous AMG GT S (with Dynamic Plus Package), though I didn't lose too much handling precision for it, so it's a great tradeoff to me. Obviously it's firmer than luxury cars, and firmer than non-GT Porsches too, but still plenty comfortable for bad roads in my opinion. Even my mother commented she found the Spyder's ride comfortable compared to my previous AMG.

Archimedes' impressions of the GT4 suspension sound very different from my impressions of the Spyder suspension. I wonder if there really is a huge difference between GT4 and Spyder damping, or if it's just a matter of perception.

Last edited by wizee; 10-05-2020 at 11:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wizee:
AlexCeres (10-06-2020), DFW01TT (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020 | 11:41 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
The 20/21 GT4 and Spyder are exactly the same suspension with slightly different suspension tunes. Neither is softer than the other but they are different, which is all the engineers will admit to. The comparison above was a 981 Spyder, which Spyder are you referring to? Almost everything I’ve read or viewed on YouTube says the 718 GT4/Spyder is more compliant than the 981 variants. There’s a difference between compliant and soft.

Last edited by mjw930; 10-05-2020 at 11:50 PM.
AlexCeres (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020 | 11:41 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
Same here. I find the Spyder quite compliant over rough pavement, and usually keep the suspension in stiff mode unless I have a more sensitive passenger. Kitchener/Waterloo roads are awfully cracked and potholed, yet in the Spyder they're fine even in stiff mode. It feels quite soft and comfortable compared to my previous AMG GT S (with Dynamic Plus Package), though I didn't lose too much handling precision for it, so it's a great tradeoff to me. Obviously it's firmer than luxury cars, and firmer than non-GT Porsches too, but still plenty comfortable for bad roads in my opinion. Even my mother commented she found the Spyder's ride comfortable compared to my previous AMG.

Archimedes' impressions of the GT4 suspension sound very different from my impressions of the Spyder suspension. I wonder if there really is a huge difference between GT4 and Spyder damping, or if it's just a matter of perception.
Are the spring rates the same with only the damping being different?
Old 10-05-2020 | 11:50 PM
Racer20
Instructor

Nm
Old 10-06-2020 | 01:26 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by hf1
How do they differ?
The 718 transmits more of the high speed impacts to you then the 981 Spyder did, especially in the rear. It’s a better performing suspension for sure, but it is more direct. It feels like a car with better damping characteristics, but shorter travel and firmer springs. Again, great suspension, but super firm. Which is what you would expect given the purpose of the car.

Anyone who says this is a soft car in any way shape or form is either nuts or lives in a Germany and drives perfect roads all the time. I expect there are some people who will be enamored with the GT4 due to its looks but then quickly tire of it in daily duty.
Old 10-06-2020 | 01:47 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Agreed. That's my point. I knew exactly what I was getting and it's what I wanted - a track car that I can drive on the streets. My point of this whole thread was simply to suggest to those folks looking for a daily driver and considering the GT4 to maybe not buy into all the comments about how compliant this car is and make sure to test drive one and make the decision for themselves. The GT4 is a street legal track day car IMO and a DD only for the most committed of enthusiasts. Again, just my opinion and, again, I'm not knocking the GT4. It's a perfect car and I will likely be dead before mine is out of my name.
I can identify with that sentiment.
I had a 2008 MB CLK Black Series and that suspension spoiled me for future cars.
I'm hoping that the Spyder harkens back to the Black Series on the street and on the track.
Old 10-06-2020 | 02:23 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
The only difference is the valving inside the damper, slightly different to account for the difference between a cabriolet and a coupe.., but agree it is very firm!
Originally Posted by hf1
Are the spring rates the same with only the damping being different?
Andreas Pruniger said only a slight difference in the damper valving... springs are the same.
AlexCeres (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020 | 02:48 AM
Xisthos
Advanced

The 718 transmits more of the high speed impacts to you then the 981 Spyder did, especially in the rear. It’s a better performing suspension for sure, but it is more direct. It feels like a car with better damping characteristics, but shorter travel and firmer springs. Again, great suspension, but super firm. Which is what you would expect given the purpose of the car.

Anyone who says this is a soft car in any way shape or form is either nuts or lives in a Germany and drives perfect roads all the time. I expect there are some people who will be enamored with the GT4 due to its looks but then quickly tire of it in daily duty.
People have different levels of tolerances and you do get used to what you operate often enough.

Having said that, I’m aware that not many people can daily an Exige, and when you do that, the GT4 is a relaxing affair
AlexCeres (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020 | 03:40 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

The car is pretty wasted on daily driving activities unless your commute involves some back roads carving.
The suspension is sublime. firm but communicative. It’s not rigid. An enthusiast can daily it. It’s great on the highway, extremely precise. But what makes the car exquisite is lost on that kind of driving. Many other cars can do a couple hours at 70+ mph on straight flat highway with a softer touch, quieter cabin, better sound system and all around more comfort to the same effect. I also miss keyless entry and the steering wheel PCM controls. Little things. It’s not a touring car.

just finished my 2000th mile, daily driving to get through the run in period. Along with a ton of hill runs, midnight twisties and some coastline. Front lip is scratched to hell, and my ears are still ringing.

Quick Reply: Firm Suspension