Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Pdk vs 6 speed manual gear ratios/speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 08:03 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,128 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
It's not that the majority of people are going to run out their cars to the top speed but it's more of maybe trying to have an understanding of how Porsche may have designed/programmed/engineered the transmission to perform or maybe extract/guess some other changes that Porsche may have made to the PDK transmission that they may not have publicly released yet.

It's like asking how much weight do PCCB save and how much weight do forged wheels save? Most people won't even be able to tell the difference from saving 1 to 2 pounds let alone 10-15 pounds unless your name is Michael Schumacher or Lewis Hamilton so if we can't tell the difference or be able to extract maximum performance from the weight savings, then why should Porsche sell it right? Just making a point that it's not necessarily about the majority of people extracting max performance or using the feature to the max but maybe just having an understanding of it. That's why we're all here to ask questions and help others with their questions.
Weight savings from PCCB and forged wheels isn't primarily about increased handling performance, IMO. It is about a better ride quality and subjective steering responsiveness for an equal level of performance. For a given spring rate and damper setting, the ride will be better with less unsprung weight. More of an issue for spirited mountain runs than the track.

Last edited by VVG; 09-10-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:29 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Weight savings from PCCB and forged wheels isn't primarily about increased handling performance, IMO. It is about a better ride quality and subjective steering responsiveness for an equal level of performance. For a given spring rate and damper setting, the ride will be better with less unsprung weight. More of an issue for spirited mountain runs than the track.
...but better ride quality and subjective steering responsiveness is about increased handling performance. Better ride quality would imply that the entire system system is compliant and not bouncing you around because it's way too stiffly sprung which means that the wheels and tires are in better contact with the pavement and therefore lead to increased handling performance. The opposite of this would be to have the car way too low with little suspension travel and be completely oversprung where you're completely bouncing over each and every single imperfection in the road. That would definitely be extremely bad suspension tuning and therefore lead to very poor handling performance which is bad ride quality.

Here are some links to help explain how unsprung weight does lead to increased or better handling performance or steering responsiveness.
check it out at the 6 minute mark
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (09-16-2020)
Old 06-22-2024, 10:31 PM
Ceec eh
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I had no idea.

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
The only time im going to ever use 5th or 6th gear is in the first few hundred miles just to make sure they work and to keep me away from 8 grand. After that the car will live in gears 1-3, occasionally 4. Even on the freeway. So pdk would just get me into 4th a little more easily. Lucky enough to have other cars for commuting or for chick driving..
again, i was really shocked how fast this car is with the manual. Its not gt3 level aggression but if you spin the **** off the motor its plenty fast.
I have had many sports cars. In my youth the idea was to attract the aforementioned articles and indeed it was amongst the many attractive features of those cars. In later years my fascination with the cars remain but sadly my interest in secondary sexual characteristics has slipped rather. Nonetheless , having carefully examined my CGTS it appears that in the first 3 months they are gone. That is , 3000 kilometres came , I attacked the danger paint , joyous sounds ensued, and off went the ****.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 11:22 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceec eh
I have had many sports cars. In my youth the idea was to attract the aforementioned articles and indeed it was amongst the many attractive features of those cars. In later years my fascination with the cars remain but sadly my interest in secondary sexual characteristics has slipped rather. Nonetheless , having carefully examined my CGTS it appears that in the first 3 months they are gone. That is , 3000 kilometres came , I attacked the danger paint , joyous sounds ensued, and off went the ****.
Hope this helps.
Its never too late to rip some gears or revive secondary sexual characteristic interest!
thanks for this reply and i hope the **** are found asap.
that spyder was a “long” time ago in my mind but its a beautiful machine.
cheers

Quick Reply: Pdk vs 6 speed manual gear ratios/speed