Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Daily Driver?Any trouble with speed bumps or getting over curbs and other dd stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020 | 12:39 PM
scooter100
Instructor

Default Daily Driver?Any trouble with speed bumps or getting over curbs and other dd stuff?

Just curious how the car has faired with this minor daily obstacles. I lost out on getting the only 992 manual in town(more to the point the dealer was giving me a horrible deal) so have shifted my sights to an out of town GT4 since I want a stick shift for my next car. Also, anyone put a kids booster seat in their standard seat GT4/Spyder?
Old 08-19-2020 | 01:03 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scooter100
Just curious how the car has faired with this minor daily obstacles. I lost out on getting the only 992 manual in town(more to the point the dealer was giving me a horrible deal) so have shifted my sights to an out of town GT4 since I want a stick shift for my next car. Also, anyone put a kids booster seat in their standard seat GT4/Spyder?
Regarding the second point, booster seats work provided they’re sufficiently narrow. Porsche sells a booster seat that’s designed to work with sport seats. The Britax-Römer Kid II seat (sold in Germany) also works and is cheaper. The car’s seats have a weight sensor in them, and a kid in a booster seat will not activate the airbag. You can confirm by looking at the light above the mirror. I also recommend keeping the passenger seat all the way back when a kid is seated in it. For added peace of mind, you can have the dealer install a keyed airbag disabled switch in the glove box, but it isn’t necessary as the seat weight sensor should suffice to disable the airbag.

Now child seats (not booster seats) may be an issue since the car doesn’t have anchor points. I’d only carry older children that properly fit in booster seats and can be trusted to sit properly.
Old 08-19-2020 | 04:38 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Speed bumps (<4" height) and "normal" curbs are no issue. You'll just want to watch out for steep transitions.
Here's an everyday example I encountered: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3131...7i16384!8i8192
Driveway on the right: perfectly fine, no scraping.
Driveway on the left: slight scrape when coming out straight. If I had come out at less of a 90* angle to the road, it would have been fine.

Example of a 100% no-no: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3053...7i16384!8i8192
It's a steep-ish ramp, with a slight curb, onto a flat road. The transition is too much. I could (barely) clear it in my non-PASM 718 2.0T as long as I took it slowly to not bottom the suspension. GT4? Won't even try it. I know it will scrape

At the end of the day, I wouldn't worry too much about a couple scrapes here and there. The pieces your affecting are just plastic and should be treated as consumables ($200-300 each for the front plastic lip, and underbody plastic).
You can always help the approach angle by not trying to take ramps/curbs head-on. Your approach angle is much, much higher the more you can go over something at an angle.

You can buy kid seats directly from Porsche, so they are able to fit (provided you get the 2-way or 18-way - not so sure about the carbon buckets).

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 08-19-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2020 | 06:52 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

No speed bump, rail road crossings (Illinois has the most and they are mostly in poor repair) or pavement buckles. Been surprised a few times when I was expecting the nose to scrape. I bought 2 nose lip replacements just in case.

My 7 yr old LOVES the car and I use a Bubble Bum for her.
Old 08-19-2020 | 07:09 PM
scooter100
Instructor

Originally Posted by phefner
No speed bump, rail road crossings (Illinois has the most and they are mostly in poor repair) or pavement buckles. Been surprised a few times when I was expecting the nose to scrape. I bought 2 nose lip replacements just in case.

Ut oh... I live in Seattle and its not exactly flat here. I don't remember scraping my 991 on anything and assumed that the GT4 wouldn't be much worse. There are a lot of GT cars here so assumed that it would be fine. I am cool with replacing the $300 plastic but not taking the nose off at the bottom of a hill.

I have a bumble bum for vacations (at least when we used to take them) but it slides around under him and he doesn't like it. I have a Peg Perego Viagio Flex 120 that fits in the back of my 991.
Old 08-19-2020 | 07:49 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

I'm in a very hilly section of a very hilly region. No issues yet in the Spyder, but the lip may be shorter?
Old 08-19-2020 | 07:53 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vcp13
I'm in a very hilly section of a very hilly region. No issues yet in the Spyder, but the lip may be shorter?
Spyder front lip is thinner and shorter.

I wonder if the Spyder front lip would fit on a GT4.
Old 08-19-2020 | 08:43 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Ut oh... I live in Seattle and its not exactly flat here. I don't remember scraping my 991 on anything and assumed that the GT4 wouldn't be much worse. There are a lot of GT cars here so assumed that it would be fine. I am cool with replacing the $300 plastic but not taking the nose off at the bottom of a hill.

I have a bumble bum for vacations (at least when we used to take them) but it slides around under him and he doesn't like it. I have a Peg Perego Viagio Flex 120 that fits in the back of my 991.
I work in Seattle and have scrapped my 991 GTS front on couple of occasions in downtown (Marion/Madison/Spring/Columbia between 1st and 6th) going too fast into the dips and in some parking lot ramps. But yeah, GT4 is going to be worse. I wouldn't' worry too much cause you are only scraping plastic bits as opposed to painted lips.
Old 08-20-2020 | 10:08 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Not sure why you'd need to have 2 replacements. If you're replacing it every time it scrapes, you're going to be spending a lot of $$ on plastic - better to wait until you've got a year or two of scrapes in (or if it looks horrible) and then replace if necessary.

Originally Posted by wizee
Spyder front lip is thinner and shorter.

I wonder if the Spyder front lip would fit on a GT4.
I actually had to go look at pictures because I didn't believe you. But this is correct - the GT4 plastic lip sticks out a little further than the Spyder.

OP: From experience, downtown Seattle could prove fun. I know underground parking garages can be notoriously bad with transitions from steep -> flat. Compared to a 991 S (with PASM?) the GT4 is probably lower by at least 0.5"

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 08-20-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2020 | 10:22 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

The car has adjustable coilovers you could have the ride height raised a little. At stock height mine is easy to scrape even coming out of my driveway. I would not daily drive it as-is personally, but others may not care. It's really just the front splitter that's an issue. You could also just price out the front splitter and consider it a consumable item, replace as needed.
Old 08-20-2020 | 11:10 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

@iliveoncaffiene I picked them up for future use. A just in case purchase of something I'm sure will be needed at some point in the future.

Kind of like bullets.
The following 2 users liked this post by phefner:
maf401 (08-23-2020), sonicworld (08-24-2020)
Old 08-20-2020 | 02:00 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

@iliveoncaffiene I picked them up for future use. A just in case purchase of something I'm sure will be needed at some point in the future.

Kind of like bullets.
@phefner right on! I always keep extra splitters in the garage for any low/sports car I own. It's a good idea. They are disposable items, especially if you do track events, and big picture they are not that expensive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nickshu:
maf401 (08-23-2020), phefner (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020 | 02:35 PM
katzndogs
Instructor

This car is totally DD-able! Compliant suspension and it has many creature comforts if specced with the appropriate options. Just don't let your coffee spill given the 'floating' cup holders!

Old 08-20-2020 | 04:09 PM
F1-GT
Instructor

Kind of like bullets.
AWESOME!!
The following users liked this post:
phefner (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020 | 05:32 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

I had no idea what you were talking about, I googled it and saw it on Amazon. This is exactly what I am thinking about for the wife, when she’s attempting to get into the LWBS 😁
Could you please post a pic? (I’d have to tastefully remove the Bubble Bum embroidery tho).

Thanks!

~Speedy

Last edited by SpeedySpidey; 08-20-2020 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Daily Driver?Any trouble with speed bumps or getting over curbs and other dd stuff?