Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Full Exhaust Options & Suppliers (Dedicated Website)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 10:33 AM
oo7ml
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Full Exhaust Options & Suppliers (Dedicated Website)

Hi,

Apologies for another exhaust thread. Once I have the information on this, I'm going to make a small website with all information on the exhaust options and suppliers, and you guys can feel free to chime in on updating it, if you would like it too. I'll share the login details via PM.

Due to my lack of mechanical knowledge, i'm seriously struggling to understand which options to choose from, for an exhaust upgrade.

I've always been somewhat of a purist and have never done any mods to any cars I've owned, but I am just tired of how poor the 718 GT4 sounds.

Can someone help explain the following please:

01 - What needs to be changed... or the options? A - the full exhaust system and pipes, B - just the pipes from the exhaust, C - just tail pipes, D - valve systems, E - over axle GPF delete pipe, F - headers

02 - I have read that people have taken the Particulate Filter off. Is that against the law, or does it just void warranty.

03 - Based on my questions above, I think you will get a clear sense of my lack of mechanical knowledge.

I'm trying to change the exhaust on my Testarossa too but I'm again completely confused with what I need to change "the full exhaust system, Y pipes, X pipes, end pipes, tail pipes, or any other sort of pipes... valves, deletes, filters, etc etc etc

Anyway... can someone help someone out who just thought that upgrading / replacing an exhaust was just replacing on simple items... however there seems to be over 10 different things you can change, and i'm completely lost.

Last edited by oo7ml; 08-19-2020 at 10:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by oo7ml:
Nickshu (08-19-2020), wcw67 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 11:06 AM
Poupon McArr
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

There's a great overview of the different parts from Soul that's the first post on this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...velopment.html

Basically:
- catless headers would not pass emissions, which is why many manufacturers offer a "race" header and a "sport" header where the sport headers have cats that are typically less restrictive than stock.
- The over-axle pipes(sometimes called link pipes) which have the GPF/housing can be replaced in the US with no impact on emissions. I can't speak to anywhere else.
- The rear muffler can be replaced everywhere. This is what has the valves where valves closed route air through a muffler to reduce noise. Some rear sections are "race exhausts" and do not have mufflers or valves at all and are loud and essentially "open" all the time

- As for warranty, the go to answer is talk to your dealer, but typically in the US the rear section shouldn't cause issues. I also can't imagine the over-axle pipes causing issues. The headers are probably more up in the air and personally I will stay away from them while under warranty, but that's just me.

Last edited by Poupon McArr; 08-19-2020 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typos
The following 4 users liked this post by Poupon McArr:
kart125 (08-19-2020), Nickshu (08-19-2020), oo7ml (08-19-2020), Vintage72 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 02:39 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice resume and I agree with all of the above... no headers for me before warranty ends.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
Nice resume and I agree with all of the above... no headers for me before warranty ends.
+1
Old 08-19-2020, 04:44 PM
oo7ml
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 20 Posts

Great, thank you for this.

Do if you replace the rear silencer, that will sort the valves issue out (i.e - stop them from auto closing past 3,500 RPM).
Old 08-19-2020, 04:54 PM
Poupon McArr
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by oo7ml
Great, thank you for this.

Do if you replace the rear silencer, that will sort the valves issue out (i.e - stop them from auto closing past 3,500 RPM).
If you replace the silencer with one that doesn't have valves then it would fix that problem and be loud all the time, but then you have no ability to make the exhaust quieter. Otherwise if you replace with an aftermarket silencer that does have valves they'll still behave the same way, but could potentially sound better than stock due to the way the valves pass the exhaust through different pipes. But if you want to be able to open the valves on demand (which I think many of us wished the Exhaust button did...) then you'll have to go with a valve controller. I believe there's a couple on the market at the moment from soul, cargraphic, and maybe others.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Poupon McArr
If you replace the silencer with one that doesn't have valves then it would fix that problem and be loud all the time, but then you have no ability to make the exhaust quieter. Otherwise if you replace with an aftermarket silencer that does have valves they'll still behave the same way, but could potentially sound better than stock due to the way the valves pass the exhaust through different pipes. But if you want to be able to open the valves on demand (which I think many of us wished the Exhaust button did...) then you'll have to go with a valve controller. I believe there's a couple on the market at the moment from soul, cargraphic, and maybe others.
cargraphicts.com

Also remember that the valves also control back pressure on the engine across the rev range - which impacts the performance profile of the engine.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:21 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

The only situation that would makeme nervous is cylinder deactivation, with opfs installed. With opf delete, not so much. I will be pressing the auto start stop button every time i drive anyway, until someone comes up with a valve solution that integrates to the pse button. Its happening.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:07 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
The only situation that would makeme nervous is cylinder deactivation, with opfs installed. With opf delete, not so much. I will be pressing the auto start stop button every time i drive anyway, until someone comes up with a valve solution that integrates to the pse button. Its happening.

On the 981 you could buy this module: http://t-design9.com/memory_module.html
It would remember your choice for the exhaust everytime you start the car...maybe this an also be used for other functions.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:09 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
cargraphicts.com

Also remember that the valves also control back pressure on the engine across the rev range - which impacts the performance profile of the engine.

Pretty sure the back pressure wont be an issue....it wasn't on the 981 and 991 GTs so probably also not a problem on the 982 GT4.
As more cars come in most of the aftermarket supplier will begin to publish data and that will help determine the correct path to mod these cars.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:12 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kart125

My dealer was Ok with headers as long as they had cats and is probably the mod that will yield the most HP.........if you do use race headers (which I later did on my 981 GT4) then anything related to the engine will not be covered...of course, if you take the car to the dealer with the race headers

Quick Reply: Full Exhaust Options & Suppliers (Dedicated Website)