Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 V/S top down Spyder: Engine note comparison >5000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 09:52 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts
Default GT4 V/S top down Spyder: Engine note comparison >5000 RPM

HI friends,

I finally opened my 718 GT Spyder up over 5000 RPM today with top down in the sweltering Texas hot afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised by the robust healthy engine note that filled the cockpit. It happened at the transition of 4600-4800 RPM. I apologize for not recording the event. I really had just my iPhone connected to the Apple play securely stashed away in the little cubby. The decibel level was loud enough to drown any music but not loud like my 7.2 RS.I wonder if someone has done a comparison between the GT4 with windows down or up and the spyder TD. It seems that the valves open up at 4600-4800 RPM although I had the valve switch activated through out the trip.

The handling and linear acceleration is simply breathtaking. It takes some quick and coordinated clutch/throttle interactions to do this smoothly but, boy, if you get really aggressive, the car leaps with each shift. I am quite pleased with the results so far. Frankly I do not even remember the sound in my 981 Spyder anymore but I do not remember it being this agile and the suspension of the 981 was quite soft in comparison to the 718's normal suspension. The biggest difference between the two, IMHO, is the interaction between the transmission, suspension and throttle. The 718 just knocks it out of the park. The chassis is very intuitive yet firm. The throttle response is sublime. I love the steering on my 7.2 RS because it is so analog. The steering on the 718 is so nimble and yet keeps you in touch with the asphalt at all times.

I am so glad Porsche let me have one of these. Hope you all enjoy yours as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Raghu:
DFW01TT (08-15-2020), wizee (08-15-2020)

Quick Reply: GT4 V/S top down Spyder: Engine note comparison >5000 RPM