Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

On/Off PASM, do you feel it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 07:56 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Default On/Off PASM, do you feel it?

I have always pushed the PASM button from the very beginning so I haven't had the time to really compare the difference, until now.

So I tried and tried , but I really don't feel any difference, so I am now wondering maybe I have a faulty unit and its always in comfort mode?

Do anyone actually feel the difference?, is there another way to check this is working properly? (look for something in the shock maybe?)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:02 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 303 Posts

In a word - No!
The following users liked this post:
metalone (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
I have always pushed the PASM button from the very beginning so I haven't had the time to really compare the difference, until now.

So I tried and tried , but I really don't feel any difference, so I am now wondering maybe I have a faulty unit and its always in comfort mode?

Do anyone actually feel the difference?, is there another way to check this is working properly? (look for something in the shock maybe?)
so why are you always running in sport mode? - anyway you should be able to feel the difference between the two modes - you'd get fault codes if something was inop
Old 08-15-2020, 09:28 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 943 Posts

I think it’s dependent on the type of road you are on. If you are on a smooth road it will be harder to tell the difference.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:09 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone

PASM programming between Sport and normal was significantly different in the 981, but not necessarily "good or right" for some. The Sport setting, from the numerous reviews, seems to have changed so the dampers operate at a wider range in the 718, and are more supple at lower speeds/throttle positions/G-forces, such that it may feel close to the Normal setting, when driving casually. When you start to "lean on it", is probably when you'll start to notice the ramp up to a firmer feel in the Sport setting happen faster than in Normal, and ultimately stiffer at/near the limit.

FWIW, this is how I've setup my 981 w/DSC controller (settings in the DSC Settings thread I started) however its noticably firmer than Normal when putting around, but soft enough to not be jarring, or get unsettled over road imperfections. I stay in Sport mode 100% of the time, while near daily driving in the heavily pot-holed DC/Baltimore metro area, with no fear, nor discomfort.
LoodorneGT4 (11-29-2022)
Old 08-15-2020, 10:18 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

On my 987 Box S the pasm on/off diff is VERY noticeable. I toggle between the two many times per backroad run depending on the road surface.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:58 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
so why are you always running in sport mode? - anyway you should be able to feel the difference between the two modes - you'd get fault codes if something was inop
I had too many scraping with my old 981 Spyder (with the passive suspension) so my first thought when I got the 718 was putting it on sport mode hoping that being firmer would compress less.. as time went by, the sport set up felt suitable for the street so I kept it as a habit, among putting the sport exhaust on although I have the vacuum hose blocked, so that doesn't make any effect.

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
PASM programming between Sport and normal was significantly different in the 981, but not necessarily "good or right" for some. The Sport setting, from the numerous reviews, seems to have changed so the dampers operate at a wider range in the 718, and are more supple at lower speeds/throttle positions/G-forces, such that it may feel close to the Normal setting, when driving casually. When you start to "lean on it", is probably when you'll start to notice the ramp up to a firmer feel in the Sport setting happen faster than in Normal, and ultimately stiffer at/near the limit.
Interesting.. well I've tested it at low speed so makes sense with your explanation.. next time I'll try in on back roads and in spirit driving, to look for more/less lean (and report back)

Last edited by metalone; 08-15-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:50 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't see much of a difference either on normal roads
metalone (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 03:05 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

One correction - PASM is always on, you cannot turn it off. Common misconception.

There are two modes - normal and sport. With every Porsche I have owned that was equipped with PASM, the difference was noticeable within a few seconds, particularly if the road surface was not smooth.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:20 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

PASM is an active suspension and as an active suspension tI is always “on”, unless it’s broken. Even on smooth roads, the difference between sport and normal should be quite apparent whenever you push the performance envelop a bit.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:52 AM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

It’s very apparent to me the difference in modes.
It’s quite a stark contrast.

This is on back BC roads, so they are quite bumpy.
sport+ is entirely off the table for me, it’s much too harsh and spine compacting where I live.

I would drive over a less than ideal road and then adjust PASM, it’s much more present. Perhaps you have smooth roads.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:36 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
In a word - No!
I took the GT4 for some fast rough background driving and yes it definitely cuts down roll and seems to make the car grip better - not apparent on good roads IME ....
Old 08-16-2020, 03:16 PM
Racer20
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Dampers work against suspension velocity. So the differences will be bigger on rougher roads and at higher driving speeds, or during quick steering maneuvers such as a slalom. Slow steering inputs, such as a gradual sweeper, may not exhibit a big difference because the suspension is moving slowly. On a smooth road the difference will be difficult to detect for most people.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:50 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

So never felt the need thus far but this thread made me press the button today on a long ride and you can feel it in the most subtle ways. Having adjustable dampers on other rides I can feel the difference immediately as said less roll tighter ride.
metalone (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 08:25 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,126 Likes on 556 Posts

That's one of the many things that makes a Porsche special. The differences are subtle and don't upset the feel of the car like so many other systems that are too mushy on soft and too boy racer on firm. The fact that it is harder for some to notice the difference is a complement to Porsche in my opinion.
metalone (08-16-2020)

Quick Reply: On/Off PASM, do you feel it?