Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

whos going to swap out the track tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 04:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatch
But they won’t be “brand new.” The dates of manufacture will be on the sidewalls. And I’m not sure any serious driver would want tires that are several years old on a track or even on the street at high speeds. If the tread life is a short as advertised, enjoy the OEMs for a year or two and then swap to PS4S?
+1 I wont let my rubber get too old - its not worth it ...
Old 08-16-2020, 09:07 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatch
But they won’t be “brand new.” The dates of manufacture will be on the sidewalls. And I’m not sure any serious driver would want tires that are several years old on a track or even on the street at high speeds. If the tread life is a short as advertised, enjoy the OEMs for a year or two and then swap to PS4S?
Still up in the air about this. Those are the two options currently under consideration. By brand new I meant essentially never used.

God bless,
TT
Old 08-16-2020, 09:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Still up in the air about this. Those are the two options currently under consideration. By brand new I meant essentially never used.

God bless,
TT
it not the miles its the age; the composition of the tyre changes over time, the rubber's chemical composition changes and generally deteriorates ...
Old 08-16-2020, 09:19 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
it not the miles its the age; the composition of the tyre changes over time, the rubber's chemical composition changes and generally deteriorates ...
I'm not a track person so unfamiliar with this degradation of unused track tires over time. The only thing I've heard up to now is to be careful of dry rot in tires six years old or older.

God bless,
TT

Quick Reply: whos going to swap out the track tires?