Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

To PPT or not to PPT

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 01:57 AM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Add some value to your vote by offering your logic.
Now you're asking for something that doesn't exist
Old 08-13-2020, 02:13 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
Now you're asking for something that doesn't exist
Oh it exists; it’s just been beaten to death, so I was sparing a rehash of this debate. I don’t PPF because:

1. I’m not **** retentive and I accept that a car is just a car and it should accumulate a few battle scars along the way;
2. I don’t like plastic on my cars, the look, the feel, etc.
3. It’s ridiculously expensive IMO and has no impact on resale.
4. While rare, removing it can sometimes result in damaged paint.
The following users liked this post:
theEnd (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 05:30 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Agree with what many have stated. Don’t let your dealer do it. Get a recommended installer to do it. As to ppf partial or entire car, IMO it depends on the color of your car. Colors like silver hide rock chips well and IMO require less of the bodywork covered so full front and leading edges. Darker colors like black are best covered entirely (whole car).
Old 08-13-2020, 07:12 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
I really don’t want anyone taking my car apart to do this. I’ve watched several videos and the make me cringe with anxiety. All I can imagine is some tech after three days of monkeying with my car, saying it’s done and handing me several screws back they couldn’t figure out where they went. And who knows what skill level or if they are learning in your car. And after a few strikes, the film starts to look less than perfect. Just not for me. I prefer paint touch up and it has never impacted my sales value. I usually can get top of the range either private party or trade in.
While you can have someone take your car apart, this is not typical, even for high-end shops. After a few strikes, the film will look less than perfect but not like chips in the paint. I am now on my 5th car with PPF and will always use it.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:17 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Oh it exists; it’s just been beaten to death, so I was sparing a rehash of this debate. I don’t PPF because:

1. I’m not **** retentive and I accept that a car is just a car and it should accumulate a few battle scars along the way;
2. I don’t like plastic on my cars, the look, the feel, etc.
3. It’s ridiculously expensive IMO and has no impact on resale.
4. While rare, removing it can sometimes result in damaged paint.
1. If a car is just a car, buy a Toyota Yaris and get from point A to point B.
2. So are you planning on replacing your entire front and rear bumpers with metal pieces?
3. These cars are ridiculously expensive to begin with !!!
4. The incidence of damaged paint by removing PPF is far less than incidence of damaged paint by not using it in the first place
Old 08-13-2020, 10:08 AM
tthellott T
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

read a lot, here is the executive summary (I can make it a PPT )

PRO
  • protection to certain degree
  • some say ppf increase resell value after years

CON or poteitial risk
  • some say it gets discolored over time
  • some say underfill between paint & ppf degraded over time
  • given above two reasons, some say it needs to be refreshed every 3~5 years depends on external conditions
  • some say ppf makes original paint/clearcoat look different
  • some say workmanship sometimes bothersome in terms of back and forth fixing defects
  • some say dissembling parts on new car is a concern
key takeaway: trust your heart
The following 2 users liked this post by tthellott T:
c1pher (08-13-2020), theEnd (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 10:19 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tthellott T
read a lot, here is the executive summary (I can make it a PPT )

PRO
  • protection to certain degree
  • some say ppf increase resell value after years

CON or poteitial risk
  • some say it gets discolored over time
  • some say underfill between paint & ppf degraded over time
  • given above two reasons, some say it needs to be refreshed every 3~5 years depends on external conditions
  • some say ppf makes original paint/clearcoat look different
  • some say workmanship sometimes bothersome in terms of back and forth fixing defects
  • some say dissembling parts on new car is a concern
key takeaway: trust your heart
A lot of the negatives you are describing were with older products. As with many products, there are continuous improvements
Old 08-13-2020, 10:25 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
I really don’t want anyone taking my car apart to do this. I’ve watched several videos and the make me cringe with anxiety. All I can imagine is some tech after three days of monkeying with my car, saying it’s done and handing me several screws back they couldn’t figure out where they went. And who knows what skill level or if they are learning in your car. And after a few strikes, the film starts to look less than perfect. Just not for me. I prefer paint touch up and it has never impacted my sales value. I usually can get top of the range either private party or trade in.
The best part about putting Xpel on my wife’s Tesla was it was probably reassembled better than it came from the factory! Ha!
The following 2 users liked this post by Knutsm01:
blackholescion (08-13-2020), c1pher (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 10:26 AM
ABAD911
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought Saturday and picked up this past Tuesday. I didn’t overthink it, because the first rock chip would drive me off the wall.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:58 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

My $0.02 and I’ve had past cars completely wrapped with Xpel Ultimate+

1) As many others have stated, don’t get it done at the dealer. Go to a reputable shop directly.

2) If you plan on keeping the car 5+ years I’d highly recommend a full PPF. Worth it for the peace of mind alone. Scratches, scuffs & most minor dings come right out with a little heat from a hairdryer and cleaning.

3) If you’re not planning to keep the car long term, from a financial standpoint it’s probably not worth it. Any rock chips, scuffs, scratches can be easily touched up professionally for a fraction of the cost of PPF.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:08 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I recommend PPF. For $1500, it will keep your car looking nicer longer. PPF also absorbs chips, paint will just chip. With the newer films, you will have a hard time noticing it's there unless you're looking for it.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:26 AM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

One thing to add: I wouldn't preclude your dealer IF they have a dedicated detailing/PPF team. Most dealerships outsource this work to the cheapest mobile shop they can find so they can mark it up and make a nice profit on it. I ended up getting my PPF done through the dealership because they do have their own team of detailers and PPF installers that not only do installs on Porsche's but other higher end cars that are brought to them to get wrapped. Not all shops are created equal as others have noted and/or seen on RL from some of the other threads, it comes down to doing your own due diligence on the shop and installers. You should be able to see their facilities and examples of their work, answering any questions you may have on the installation. They should make you feel comfortable that they'll do the work to a standard that you'd be happy with. I opted to have my door handles and side mirrors removed for PPF installation on the doors for a seamless install; one of the perks of getting this done at the dealership is that they have certified Porsche technicians removing them for the installation.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
One no vote.
+1!

I think you and I were separated at birth!
Old 08-13-2020, 01:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
1. If a car is just a car, buy a Toyota Yaris and get from point A to point B.
2. So are you planning on replacing your entire front and rear bumpers with metal pieces?
3. These cars are ridiculously expensive to begin with !!!
4. The incidence of damaged paint by removing PPF is far less than incidence of damaged paint by not using it in the first place
See, this is why I avoided entering this discussion. The PPF zealots get so defensive.
The following users liked this post:
Bluehinder (08-21-2020)

Quick Reply: To PPT or not to PPT