Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

In-line shutoff for vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020 | 11:43 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Default In-line shutoff for vacuum lines

What size is the OD of the vacuum lines used for the exhaust valves? Anyone know offhand? When my GTS 4.0 comes in I will be installing a simple pneumatic in line off switch. Push in style... works best IMHO and doesn’t wreck the lines by stretching.

Cheap and simple, easily switched to work back to factory with a turn.

You can get electronically controlled ones that can either fail open or closed depending what you want, but that’s essentially the same as what’s being sold as a turnkey kit from soul.

The following users liked this post:
Croc999 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-09-2020 | 11:49 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Does it work by simply threading through the existing line through this switch and then reattaching line to exhaust valve? Then simply twist to pinch vacumm line close or open etc.? Or is there cutting involved and such...
Old 08-10-2020 | 07:52 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6MT
Does it work by simply threading through the existing line through this switch and then reattaching line to exhaust valve? Then simply twist to pinch vacumm line close or open etc.? Or is there cutting involved and such...
It would appear from the pic that you would cut the existing vacuum line and splice it in.
Old 08-10-2020 | 06:38 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

It pushes in, and is one way unless you push the housing back in. That way it doesn’t slip out.
no cutting involved, just source the same size line for the other side. Only need a few CM/inches on the other side.
Old 08-10-2020 | 06:40 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
It would appear from the pic that you would cut the existing vacuum line and splice it in.
nope. No cutting of any kind. Feed the stock line in one end and have a much smaller line on the other for the exhaust valve end.
The lines can’t eject out by themselves as it works like a Chinese finger trap.

i use these in my industry for all sorts of pneumatic lines. They are an engineers best friend when you need a manual shut off
Old 08-10-2020 | 06:46 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Originally Posted by Haros
It pushes in, and is one way unless you push the housing back in. That way it doesn’t slip out.
no cutting involved, just source the same size line for the other side. Only need a few CM/inches on the other side.
Thanks, clever idea, a perfect example of why these forums are so useful. I asked my Porsche Service dude about the diameter, they said 5mm (probably the inner diameter), I think it's about 8mm ish total. I'm thinking a 1/2 inch valve will work ok, in any case the bearing valve cinches it regardless. Let us know which one you end up getting.

If this works, not doing any module!

Croc999 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020 | 08:41 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Thanks, clever idea, a perfect example of why these forums are so useful. I asked my Porsche Service dude about the diameter, they said 5mm (probably the inner diameter), I think it's about 8mm ish total. I'm thinking a 1/2 inch valve will work ok, in any case the bearing valve cinches it regardless. Let us know which one you end up getting.

If this works, not doing any module!
perfect.... 8mm is an industry standard for these in line shut offs.

yes it should work, because the exhaust valve “fails” in the open position. So turning this off will disallow the vacuum to hold the valve closed... therefore full exhaust tone.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-10-2020 | 08:46 PM
hmintz
Advanced

I think the vacuum lines are clad with braided stainless, complicating this solution.

Howard
Haros (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020 | 08:50 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Originally Posted by hmintz
I think the vacuum lines are clad with braided stainless, complicating this solution.

Howard
Yep, I just confirmed with another RL'er, the line does not compress. : ( and even if it did, I noticed the clamp on the tip gets in the way anyhow. Oh well.
Haros (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020 | 08:52 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

What size is the OD of the vacuum lines used for the exhaust valves? Anyone know offhand?
8.51mm measured by @911F1
Haros (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020 | 02:27 AM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hmintz

Howard
ah. Well there goes my simple “solution”.
not sure I’d be willing to cut in a line when I first get my car.
I’ll take a look when I get it. There is a few more different options I’ve used in the past but it essentially renders the end of the line stretched.
Old 08-11-2020 | 03:14 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

ah. Well there goes my simple “solution”.
not sure I’d be willing to cut in a line when I first get my car.
I’ll take a look when I get it. There is a few more different options I’ve used in the past but it essentially renders the end of the line stretched.
From the looks of the instructions for the Soul module, the vacuum line looks like regular rubber/plastic (non-braided) before the T that sends vacuum to the 2 valves, so your idea might still work if you go "tap" on the pre-T line. I dont have a car yet to confirm.
Old 08-11-2020 | 07:55 AM
hmintz
Advanced

If a vacuum switch can be found that uses the tube ID rather than the OD we could still use the easily accessed braided line. A switch with 12v actuation would be ideal.

Howard
Old 08-11-2020 | 11:53 AM
Croc999
Racer

What size is the OD of the vacuum lines used for the exhaust valves? Anyone know offhand? When my GTS 4.0 comes in I will be installing a simple pneumatic in line off switch. Push in style... works best IMHO and doesn’t wreck the lines by stretching.

Cheap and simple, easily switched to work back to factory with a turn.

You can get electronically controlled ones that can either fail open or closed depending what you want, but that’s essentially the same as what’s being sold as a turnkey kit from soul.

Can this be controlled from Porsche phone app?

Nut seriously - nice idea !!!
Old 08-11-2020 | 12:29 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Great thread. Is this to circumvent the OEM valve on/off logic and keep the exhaust open at all times? Would the PSE on/off still be operational or would this put the car in permanent "PSE ON" mode? Noob about these modern exhausts so need clarification.

Quick Reply: In-line shutoff for vacuum lines