Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What's the upper left console button on PDK cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020 | 10:18 AM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Default What's the upper left console button on PDK cars?

I've ordered a PDK Spyder. In the interior configurator pic, showing the console, the upper left button has a symbol I can't see clearly or identify; on the manual cars, that button is for auto-blip. Any idea what the button is on PDK cars?
Old 08-07-2020 | 11:34 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

It’ll probably be “PDK Sport” like on the GT3, which selects a sportier shift strategy the holds gears much longer and is suitable for track or spirited canyon driving.
Old 08-07-2020 | 11:51 AM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Actually, I was able to blow up the config pic and it looks like the button does say "auto blip"...?
Old 08-07-2020 | 12:00 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AviBen
Actually, I was able to blow up the config pic and it looks like the button does say "auto blip"...?
The configurator is wrong. The configurator also slows no paddles on the steering wheel, but I’m pretty sure there will be shift paddles.

We don’t really know anything about the PDK beyond it having seven speeds. It could be the same PDK as the regular 718, possibly with some software changes, or it could be a bespoke PDK-S with short gearing and extra cooling and lubrication for GT models, similar to the GT3 PDK. They could even give it a bespoke PDK with extra tall gearing and a reduced torque limit to ensure it stays slower than a base 992 Carrera in the true Porsche tradition of holding back the mid engined cars.

Last edited by wizee; 08-07-2020 at 12:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020 | 04:26 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I bet it says sport plus. Its gonna be the same pdk as the gts 4.0.
Old 08-07-2020 | 07:19 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I bet it says sport plus. Its gonna be the same pdk as the gts 4.0.
But -- If you look on the configurator at a GTS 4.0 with PDK, the upper left button is the one for the suspension (the shocks image). It doesn't have the auto-blip button or anything else in its place.
Old 08-07-2020 | 07:46 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AviBen
But -- If you look on the configurator at a GTS 4.0 with PDK, the upper left button is the one for the suspension (the shocks image). It doesn't have the auto-blip button or anything else in its place.
thats because it has the selector **** on the steering wheel, which has normal, sport, sport +, and individual. The gt4 is always in “sport”. But doesnt have sport +. And if it diesnt get the pdk-s, it cant say “pdk sport”. Porsche is **** about that stuff imo. Just a guess
Old 08-07-2020 | 07:52 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
thats because it has the selector **** on the steering wheel, which has normal, sport, sport +, and individual. The gt4 is always in “sport”. But doesnt have sport +. And if it diesnt get the pdk-s, it cant say “pdk sport”. Porsche is **** about that stuff imo. Just a guess
I’m predicting PDK-S with short gearing and button saying “a PDK Sport” for GT4/Spyder/GT4 RS, and a regular PDK with regular gearing for GTS 4.0. This would align with statements halfmonkey got from Porsche when he contacted them, would match with Walliser saying PDK will bring shorter gearing to the GT4, and would make sense given the GT4/Spyder has the PDK-S shift ****, while GTS 4.0 gets the regular shift ****.

With that said, this is all still a guess. We’ll find out once Porsche announces GT4/Spyder PDK availability outside USA.
Old 08-07-2020 | 08:14 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
I’m predicting PDK-S with short gearing and button saying “a PDK Sport” for GT4/Spyder/GT4 RS, and a regular PDK with regular gearing for GTS 4.0. This would align with statements halfmonkey got from Porsche when he contacted them, would match with Walliser saying PDK will bring shorter gearing to the GT4, and would make sense given the GT4/Spyder has the PDK-S shift ****, while GTS 4.0 gets the regular shift ****.

With that said, this is all still a guess. We’ll find out once Porsche announces GT4/Spyder PDK availability outside USA.
Hope you're right....
Old 08-08-2020 | 10:56 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee

...and add another +$5K to the price but hope you are right
Realistically it will be the same PDK as the other 718s....the mention that it has shorter gearing is compared to a manual. It does have shorter gearing. Also it will have an LSD, the manual has one.
What I can see is some sort of software upgrade and using that button to alternate between the modes.....this would be very simple, cost effective and something to make it different from the PDK in other models.

Quick Reply: What's the upper left console button on PDK cars?