Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb
View Poll Results: Initial oil change / service.
Change oil at 1,000
39.62%
Change oil at 2,000
28.30%
Change oil at 5,000 or within 1st year
13.21%
Change oil at 10,000 or within 1st year / free service
18.87%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Initial oil change, 1.000, 2,000, 10,000?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 07:32 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I think that it is as simple as this, the odometer is the easiest measure to quote in the manual, to the average user there is no way to calculate or determine the number of engine revolutions accumulated in any vehicle (if there is I am listening).

So as for the math, I am pretty good at it, if you have a formula to share, one that isn't just a bunch of WAG's please feel free to post it up now along with the recommended number of engine revolutions required... but please lets not pull out the thumb and hold it up and say " yep, I figure xxxxx revolutions' is about right!" Do you have a reputable study from a trusted verifiable source that has published such a figure for a modern Porsche engine like that in the 718 GT4/Spyder?
I do not. Finding this info online would be no easier for me than for you. I agree that the odometer is the easiest measure to quote in the manual. And while Porsche's are highly engineered, they do not follow a completely different set of laws of physics. There is another thread going on break in. There is a quote there from the great AP himself on how he recommends a break in. And is not 2000 miles/4000rpm. I do however know an engineer for SRT, and 2 Audi master techs, one of whom was an Audi race mechanic. They actually educated me a lot on modern engines. Anyway....I am done here. As others have said...beat to death.

Last edited by VVG; 08-04-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:43 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I do not. Finding this info online would be no easier for me than for you. I agree that the odometer is the easiest measure to quote in the manual. And while Porsche's are highly engineered, they do not follow a completely different set of laws of physics. There is another thread going on break in. There is a quote there from the great AP himself on how he recommends a break in. And is not 2000 miles/4000rpm. I do however know an engineer for SRT, and 2 Audi master techs, one of whom was an Audi race mechanic. They actually educated me a lot on modern engines.
So then we are back to the same place, no way to measure when the engine is ready for hard use or the parts mated in enough to help ensure some measure of longevity and power, only opinions.
The following users liked this post:
TurboCup87 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:56 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

Honestly, my goal with the poll was to hear when others changed their oil. As has been covered multiple times, each person has a different opinion on breakin. I think one thing most of us agree on is waiting for 10,000 or 20,000 miles after the initial service is too long. I plan to stick with my initial change at 1,000 and each year afterwards. Sorry if we got off topic with breakin debate again.....
Old 08-04-2020, 08:00 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pettelli
Honestly, my goal with the poll was to hear when others changed their oil. As has been covered multiple times, each person has a different opinion on breakin. I think one thing most of us agree on is waiting for 10,000 or 20,000 miles after the initial service is too long. I plan to stick with my initial change at 1,000 and each year afterwards. Sorry if we got off topic with breakin debate again.....
Sorry I think it was me who said "Beetlejuice" (break-in) and it ignited this discussion in an oil change thread, my bad!

Yes change the oil early 1-2000 miles and then every year or at the prescribed mileage, whichever comes first!
Old 08-04-2020, 11:49 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

It's my first Porsche so I specifically asked the guy in charge of the service department at my dealership when I took delivery. FWIW he told me there is no need to change it after break in. I'm currently a little over 2500kms. Hopefully I'll get to 5000kms before winter and will probably do the first oil change then.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:43 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

That’s a bummer on the “free” service not being included. ..... I also asked if that also included the brake fluid every 2 years. Didn’t add up fo me... still waiting for a response.
55 posts since 2007?
You're clearly not worried about "familiarity breeding contempt"?
Good self control though!
Old 08-05-2020, 03:48 AM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
55 posts since 2007?
You're clearly not worried about "familiarity breeding contempt"?
Good self control though!
This isn’t my first Porsche rodeo. However, my newest Porsche is a 2007 Cayman S. I’ve been religious about servicing all of them on a regular schedule. I moved to an independent when I thought my cars might be older than some of the dealers techs. I think it was a fair question to ask. I stopped back by the dealer today to get my maintenance book stamped for the initial delivery. They had trouble finding the dealer stamp! Apparently no one requests it anymore. I guess I’m “old school”. Both the SA & service writer were shocked at the price I was quoted for the prepaid service. There was nothing else “new” included. So if “familiarity is breeding contempt” so be it. I’m not one to normally post but my new GT4 has brought that out. Hence the 55 total posts over 13 years on Rennlist. I’ll fade away soon..,,
Old 01-31-2021, 05:50 PM
BenMo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Necessary to change 718 oil annually?

Hello all -
I've only driven my 718 boxer about 4000 miles over the past 15 months. I know that the oil change is recommended every 10k miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. I'm at 15 months, but haven't driven the car very much or very hard. it's a 2017 with 16500 miles total. I appreciate the feedback. thank you!
Old 01-31-2021, 06:20 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

The factory spec is mileage or time, completely black and white so what are you questioning? You are 3 months overdue for an oil change, simple as that. I guess the better question is do you value your warranty?

It really has nothing to do with “will it be a problem”. Once it’s out of warranty then of course you can do whatever you want. Personally, every motor I’ve ever owned rarely went more than 12 months without an oil change, many used in severe service got multiple changes over 12 months. Really cheap insurance IMHO.

Last edited by mjw930; 01-31-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:36 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjw930
The factory spec is mileage or time, completely black and white so what are you questioning? You are 3 months overdue for an oil change, simple as that. I guess the better question is do you value your warranty?

It really has nothing to do with “will it be a problem”. Once it’s out of warranty then of course you can do whatever you want. Personally, every motor I’ve ever owned rarely went more than 12 months without an oil change, many used in severe service got multiple changes over 12 months. Really cheap insurance IMHO.
Agreed!

Originally Posted by BenMo
Hello all -
I've only driven my 718 boxer about 4000 miles over the past 15 months. I know that the oil change is recommended every 10k miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. I'm at 15 months, but haven't driven the car very much or very hard. it's a 2017 with 16500 miles total. I appreciate the feedback. thank you!
You provided your own answer: every 10k miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.

If you think that you haven't driven enough miles to warrant an oil change then you need to drive more!
Old 01-31-2021, 07:13 PM
BenMo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Points taken. thank you
Old 02-02-2021, 06:56 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Go with what makes you comfortable. I have always change oil between 1K and 1.5 K miles on my P cars to get rid of any potential wear metals, and I have seen metals after cutting open the filter on a few cars.. One thing is for certain, changing the oil does not hurt a thing, and piece of mind is certainly worth the price of an oil change.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:59 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Go with what makes you comfortable. I have always change oil between 1K and 1.5 K miles on my P cars to get rid of any potential wear metals, and I have seen metals after cutting open the filter on a few cars.. One thing is for certain, changing the oil does not hurt a thing, and piece of mind is certainly worth the price of an oil change.
jeanrabelais (12-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:04 AM
RichSouleRacing
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
If you do it yourself does it void warranty?
I know this was asked a long time ago, but no, changing your own oil doesn't void the warranty.

It doesn't hurt to keep records/receipts, but it also isn't required.
moto_geek (11-16-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 03:36 AM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I still do not understand why anyone thinks break-in has to do with how many miles one has driven. If you drive at 2000 rpm for 2000 miles and 4000 rpm for 1000 miles, your engine will have made the same number or revolutions. FWIW, every Porsche model with every engine has the same break-in recommendation in the manual. It has to be that way (for legal reasons) for people who can't do the math, or who just have no clue about cars (think about your average base Macan suburbanite), etc.

I would like to think that people who have both the interest and the means to buy these car have the intelligence to see beyond the legal and corporate "party line" on break-in. In fact, the majority of break -n is done within the first few hours of driving. I really am just trying to understand...nothing more. But I am also committed to providing proper information to our enthusiast community.

As far as oil goes, this is my 5th Porsche. I change every year or every 10,00 miles. Never had a problem so I see no reason to do differently.
Actually the manual says the GT4RS is broken in at 1875 miles, while the GT4 needs to go to 2k. Don't ask me why?

Quick Reply: Initial oil change, 1.000, 2,000, 10,000?