Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

« Driving on the race circuit » brochure

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:57 PM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
Default « Driving on the race circuit » brochure

Did anyone get this from their dealer? I didn’t. There was one for the 981 GT4 apparently but I do not know for sure for the 718.

I did a trackday yesterday and would like to understand a bit better what can be changed on the car before I commit to the next one.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 01:34 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by works_team
Did anyone get this from their dealer? I didn’t. There was one for the 981 GT4 apparently but I do not know for sure for the 718.

I did a trackday yesterday and would like to understand a bit better what can be changed on the car before I commit to the next one.

Thanks!
I did. Haven't read it yet.

It typicall says that maintenance requirements will be accelerated if you drive the car on track, blah blah blah. Depending on where you live (and your relationship with your dealership) some or all of the warranty may be voided by doing so, more blah blah blah

As far as what you can CHANGE. Brake pads and alignment are a no-brainer. But really only necessary as your driving speed improves.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM
works_team
Racer

Great, thanks. I thought that this would also deal with eg rear wing angle, etc
The following users liked this post:
Mr71 (01-21-2022)
Old 08-04-2020, 08:10 PM
Antipodean
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, there is one for the 718 GT4 / Spyder. With respect to the rear wing angle, this can be increased on the GT4. If you do so, the booklet recommends increasing the front downforce as well to match. This is achieved by unblocking a duct on each side of the underside just ahead of the front wheel well. In Australia only, the booklet says not to unblock this duct, but attach little winglets to the underside just behind the front wheel well. This requires holes to be drilled.

The main other things the booklet talks about: brake maintenance / brake fluid change; no slicks; wheel bearing change interval if frequently tracking.

This is all I can remember off the top of my head; don't have the booklet here with me at the moment.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:36 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

hmmm. 'no slicks'. Does that mean no Hoosiers?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:21 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
Hoosiers are DOT rated and have 3 bands running the circumference of the tire so they are not slicks.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:28 AM
works_team
Racer

Originally Posted by Antipodean
Yes, there is one for the 718 GT4 / Spyder. With respect to the rear wing angle, this can be increased on the GT4. If you do so, the booklet recommends increasing the front downforce as well to match. This is achieved by unblocking a duct on each side of the underside just ahead of the front wheel well. In Australia only, the booklet says not to unblock this duct, but attach little winglets to the underside just behind the front wheel well. This requires holes to be drilled.

The main other things the booklet talks about: brake maintenance / brake fluid change; no slicks; wheel bearing change interval if frequently tracking.

This is all I can remember off the top of my head; don't have the booklet here with me at the moment.
Great stuff, thanks for this.

I have just done a track day at Spa Francorchamps and was wondering when to go back to the dealer to check on brakes, etc. I know that this manual may not be « the » source of info on this topic but wanted to check the official guidelines for warranty, etc purposes.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:00 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
As mentioned if they are DOT (even if you can't really use them on the road) you are OK.
If you do use slicks make sure the oil level is at the very top of the normal (green bar) level.
Tracked my 981 for +2 years with Pirelli DHs, no problems....you do put extra wear on bearing and suspension parts so might accelerate the recommended track maintenance for those.
All GT4 CS use slicks.....and I haven't heard of failures due to using those.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

I have just done a track day at Spa Francorchamps and was wondering when to go back to the dealer to check on brakes, etc. I know that this manual may not be « the » source of info on this topic but wanted to check the official guidelines for warranty, etc purposes.
After each track day at Spa, I always got a post-track day inspection done by my local Porsche Dealer in Belgium. Its only a few hundred euro but keeps you firmly in warranty because the car gets a clean bill of health after each inspection.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

I would check them before every run at Spa.

Originally Posted by Chris3963
After each track day at Spa, I always got a post-track day inspection done by my local Porsche Dealer in Belgium. Its only a few hundred euro but keeps you firmly in warranty because the car gets a clean bill of health after each inspection.
Kind of surprised they charge for this. My dealership does not charge, but I typically go in before, not after.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:03 PM
works_team
Racer

Thanks for the tip - I might just do that.

I already know that the tyres will not last indefinitely ;-)

(that was after 3,000km of standard road and half a track day).

dnimi123 (01-21-2022)
Old 08-05-2020, 07:52 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean in Texas
Kind of surprised they charge for this. My dealership does not charge, but I typically go in before, not after.
Different country, different rules.

Track events in Europe, generally speaking, also cost quite a bit more than they do over here as well.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,126 Likes on 2,887 Posts

I miss driving at Spa - great track. Out of curiosity, did they ever find something loose or another issue from tracking?
Larry Cable (01-20-2022)
Old 07-06-2021, 07:12 AM
GIRONA
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default share the booklet!!

Can anyone scan the booklet for us???
would be extremely helpful!

thanks!
Old 07-06-2021, 11:56 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey
Hoosiers are DOT rated and have 3 bands running the circumference of the tire so they are not slicks.
Would be good to know what their logic is though. I often run dot slicks that are faster (stuff like c71, a7, R1-S) than a lot of true slicks, so are they talking about G force issues, or are they talking about rain evac issues. I've never had a problem running too many G's but I did have a friend who destroyed a bearing and thus his engine from oil starving a car in a long fast sweeper from too many G's.

Quick Reply: « Driving on the race circuit » brochure