Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Brake Pad/Rotor Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 PM
Joey Seminara
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Brake Pad/Rotor Alternatives

Hey Guys,

just wondering if anyone has found a good replacement for the steel iron brakes?

1. low dust brake pads
2. replacement ceramic rotor and pads.

I know Porsche offers theres, but it's quite expensive after build.

if anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:52 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,895 Likes on 790 Posts

No such thing as low dust pads for the steel brakes on these cars.

Ceramic coat the wheels and get ready to wash frequently.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:02 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you want a good replacement option? Or low dust pads and/or cheaper-than-Porsche carbon ceramic rotors? Those are two different, mutually-exclusive questions, with two different answers....
Old 08-03-2020, 11:03 PM
Joey Seminara
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoBdrAK
Do you want a good replacement option? Or low dust pads and/or cheaper-than-Porsche carbon ceramic rotors? Those are two different, mutually-exclusive questions, with two different answers....
TBH I think i'm moving more along the lines of PCCB. the dust and noise I don't think I can handle for much longer lol
Old 08-04-2020, 01:18 AM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey Seminara
TBH I think i'm moving more along the lines of PCCB. the dust and noise I don't think I can handle for much longer lol
On a Spyder/GT4? I think you'll need to look at Surface Transforms but not sure if they have a size for the iron setup so may need to add spacers.
These guys are the US distro:
https://www.autoquestcars.com/custom-11
Link to ST website with 981 GT4 options:
https://surfacetransforms.com/porsch...man-brake-kits

Old 08-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Not much you can do about dust, but the noise...I have no idea how many miles are on your car, so bear with me. Have you actually bedded the brakes? Or have you just been toodling around town?
Old 08-04-2020, 03:28 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

A few track days will normally quiet things up a bit lol. But I agree that going with an aftermarket surface transform type carbon option probably gets you where you want to be without TOO much investment if you're mainly after the "quality of life" benefits of PCCBs.

From a pure performance perspective the AP Racing J-hook rotors + Ferodo DS 3.12 is a great combination (and is likely what I'll be going to straight away myself). From recollection, that combo squeals a lot less than the stock brakes, but I'm also basing that on a car that spent almost all its time at the track (which tends to reduce the squealing due all the heavy braking). This combo definitely doesn't help the brake dust though.

Another question for you to ponder (that I do not know the answer to necessarily), assuming you're largely just annoyed with the brake dust (since performance brake squeak = "because race car"), what would be the cost of getting a wheel coating (that you have to get redone every year or two) versus buying aftermarket rotors and pads? My guesstimate is that you're talking $250-$350? a pop for wheel coating each year (or two, depending on your use), versus new rotors and pads that will be a $3k-$5k investment? That puts you at 10+ years of annual wheel coatings before you break even on the pad/rotor investment.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:44 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoBdrAK
From a pure performance perspective the AP Racing J-hook rotors + Ferodo DS 3.12 is a great combination (and is likely what I'll be going to straight away myself). From recollection, that combo squeals a lot less than the stock brakes, but I'm also basing that on a car that spent almost all its time at the track (which tends to reduce the squealing due all the heavy braking). This combo definitely doesn't help the brake dust though.
I started out with OEM rotor replacements on my GT3, and graduated to the BBK kit. I am surprised at how little the 3.12s squeal on the street. The GT4 pads are noisier.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:11 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

I have the steel brakes on my Spyder and I am not planning to track it.
I am looking for high performance street break pads that are low dust and silent.
I was recommend a Japanese brand called Dixcel.
have you heard of them?
any other recommendations? (I am based in Europe)
thanks all!

Old 12-08-2020, 11:38 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

OEM steel rotors are a single piece. PFC 2 piece rotor which should be lighter. They make an amazing product. The PFC 11 pads are excellent and I think the race car uses PFC setup too.

PFC Rotors
Old 12-08-2020, 12:16 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

You should have specified PCCBs
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 12:46 PM
DocMo
Racer

Originally Posted by dmk2
You should have specified PCCBs
fantastic insight!!
Old 12-08-2020, 04:51 PM
DocMo
Racer

Another interesting pad from Endless.
Any experience?

Old 04-26-2021, 12:51 PM
DMFOrlando
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi...just saw your post while researching a bit. Have a 718 spyder with brakes that are making a good bit of noise. Did you find a way to resolve the issue on your end? Did these pads work?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-26-2021, 01:05 PM
DocMo
Racer

Originally Posted by DMFOrlando
Hi...just saw your post while researching a bit. Have a 718 spyder with brakes that are making a good bit of noise. Did you find a way to resolve the issue on your end? Did these pads work?

Thanks,
Dave
I ended up with Dixcel M performance street. These are not for track only street.
I can say that both squealing and dust decreased significantly while giving me enough performance for spirited street / mountain driving (stock Pagid pads have more bite). The pads still squeal when I leave my garage in the morning and that’s it! Dust is way less. They require to be bedded like all performance and track pads.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad/Rotor Alternatives