Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cars w/Luke Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020 | 04:49 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
I prefer to say that we’re 4mph up at the end of the Hangar straight vs stock 718 GT4 with our exhaust installed than quote numbers. 148mph peak vs Weissach GT3RS at 152mph, no arguing with those numbers or the fact that our 718 GT4 drives past a stock car in a straight line

As for the sound, no doubt. Any system which doesn’t properly merge gasses from bank 1 to bank 2 will sound pretty flat and uninteresting.

JC
Fair enough... but if you are giving Luke your product gratis to "spread the good word" you may want to control your child, as he's not doing you any favours in terms of clarity as to the benefits of your product.
Old 07-25-2020 | 05:00 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Fair enough... but if you are giving Luke your product gratis to "spread the good word" you may want to control your child, as he's not doing you any favours in terms of clarity as to the benefits of your product.
I think if you see past the title and listen to the content it’s no issue. The dyno operator and Luke both mention 380hp with a stock 718 GT4 and 395hp with Lukes car on the same dyno.

Its YouTube at the end of the day, there’s always going to be an element of click bait to the title. I think anyone serious out there considering our products is savvy enough to see through it and come to their own conclusions.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 07-25-2020 | 05:24 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
I think if you see past the title and listen to the content it’s no issue. The dyno operator and Luke both mention 380hp with a stock 718 GT4 and 395hp with Lukes car on the same dyno.

Its YouTube at the end of the day, there’s always going to be an element of click bait to the title. I think anyone serious out there considering our products is savvy enough to see through it and come to their own conclusions.

JC
But that wasn’t Luke’s car tested with and without the mod, they referred to another car. If what Archimedes says is indeed true about a 5% deviation, then that alone can account for the HP delta.

We’re splitting hairs here though, my original intent was to call into question PAG’s rating of the 718, moreover in the context the of the dyno results of this new 4.0 against whatever else they have in their current or recent stable.
Old 07-25-2020 | 05:38 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
But that wasn’t Luke’s car tested with and without the mod, they referred to another car. If what Archimedes says is indeed true about a 5% deviation, then that alone can account for the HP delta.

We’re splitting hairs here though, my original intent was to call into question PAG’s rating of the 718, moreover in the context the of the dyno results of this new 4.0 against whatever else they have in their current or recent stable.
I think we all know the car doesn’t make 380 crank HP so the outright peak numbers mentioned in this video aren’t relevant. Too many variables to cause any concern, the car didn’t appear to have any direct airflow to the intakes for starters which makes a considerable difference.

As more and more cars out there are being independently tested the results will soon become abundantly clear. I agree that this video doesn’t exactly help due to its somewhat vague delivery of the data but we have no control over that

We’re at the dyno with our car soon back to back testing all components in every possible configuration so plenty of great data coming from us and I’m sure plenty of customers and shops will be testing their cars independently too.

I guess I’m not really concerned because I have total confidence in our products

JC

Old 07-25-2020 | 05:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Luke seems like a nice guy but most of his videos are kinda moronic. No difference here. Pretty poorly executed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
GTChamp (07-26-2020), JAhmed (07-25-2020), metalone (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020 | 05:48 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I dont know how what my straightaway speed is lol. I just wanna know if my car is faster. Honestly dont know why people dont use dragy more. Between the DA and slope display, the real time G’s, the only thing left is whether the driver farted sideways to know how comparable the real world performance is. A couple Dundon GT3s have shown massive gains in the 60-130. Almost as much as a flash on a turbo engine
Old 07-25-2020 | 06:03 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

I only watch Luke’s videos for the car and sound and ignore what he says. The guy absolutely does not know much about the mechanics of an automobile. Simply put he just drives them and makes videos to make a few bucks.

The dyno numbers are spot on (obviously measured at the wheels). Nothing much to see here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Purekoryo:
GTChamp (07-26-2020), Guaji (07-27-2020)
Old 07-25-2020 | 06:13 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I dont know how what my straightaway speed is lol. I just wanna know if my car is faster. Honestly dont know why people dont use dragy more. Between the DA and slope display, the real time G’s, the only thing left is whether the driver farted sideways to know how comparable the real world performance is. A couple Dundon GT3s have shown massive gains in the 60-130. Almost as much as a flash on a turbo engine
Exactly, you just want to know that your 4.0 puts out more than the smaller displacement unit it replaces. If it is choked off due to unavoidable factory spec by the OPF then let’s remove that and do an apples to apples and get on with it.

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
I only watch Luke’s videos for the car and sound and ignore what he says. The guy absolutely does not know much about the mechanics of an automobile. Simply put he just drives them and makes videos to make a few bucks.

The dyno numbers are spot on (obviously measured at the wheels). Nothing much to see here.
Agreed, but moreover is it not a concern that Sportec running a dyno (doesn’t appear to be a tiny outfit) doesn’t realize and identify a basic concept like wheel hp vs crank hp? It seems hard to believe.
Old 07-25-2020 | 07:16 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just had a quick look, the Sportec dyno is in Höri, Switzerland. Altitude is 412m / 1351ft.

General rule of thumb is 3-4%power loss per 1000ft over manufacture claimed figures

So best case scenario (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000 equates to around 17hp lost due to altitude.

Likely something to do with the low figures, amongst other things

JC

Old 07-25-2020 | 07:27 PM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

I remember those days when everyone thought 718 GT4 was just the same as a 981 GT4 re: power / delivery. Great to see we're finally getting the facts of the difference. 718 GT4 has so much more to go when modded, great base to get to 500hp.
Old 07-25-2020 | 07:42 PM
herragge
Intermediate

Video is brutal; didn't even disclose any info about the dyno, conditions, whether they were measuring wheel hp, which it seems they were and if so the numbers would be strong. Seems to be a very clear misunderstanding on what dyno's measure in the video.
Old 07-25-2020 | 07:43 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by _nosubstitute_
I remember those days when everyone thought 718 GT4 was just the same as a 981 GT4 re: power / delivery. Great to see we're finally getting the facts of the difference. 718 GT4 has so much more to go when modded, great base to get to 500hp.
I think 470/475hp with the usual breathing mods should be possible and then after that some more in depth changes. I think we’ll see this 4.0 with 500hp within its life cycle however, huge potential as you say and really strangled from the factory

JC
Old 07-25-2020 | 08:51 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

At that power level, which would be great, is there a concern with the transmission handling it? How much more can the PDK handle than the manual?
Old 07-25-2020 | 09:10 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
At that power level, which would be great, is there a concern with the transmission handling it? How much more can the PDK handle than the manual?
Id rather take that risk with the manual TBH. PDK are $$$$$ and I wouldn't want to find out how much it could take. The main issue will be the torque, which is pretty low. I dont see more than mid/high 300's which isnt crazy, My manual carrera T had over 500 ft lb in 4th gear at the crank at some point. No slipping, nothing. Other people's pdk were acting ape**** with stage 2 mods. Obviously this was a different transmission.
Old 07-26-2020 | 01:33 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Lots of conversation in the video about the "incorrect gas" in the car, so maybe a lower octane or generic brand of gasoline was in the car during the runs? That would certainly account for lower numbers as well.

Quick Reply: Cars w/Luke Dyno