Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Small GT4 oil leak, any experts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020 | 11:17 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Default Small GT4 oil leak, any experts?

I am seeing drips behind the driver’s side front wheel. I can feel the oil on the first few inches of the “pinch weld area” (I don’t know how else to describe the location). I will have it checked out soon but thought there are experts on here that might have insights.

Any idea what lines run through there? Lines to and from oil coolers? It drips 1 to 2 teaspoons (if that) over a 12 hour period approximately.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2020 | 11:20 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Oil lines run down the middle of the car on modern Porsches, unlike the air cooled cars.

Let me inquire...

Last edited by dmk2; 07-24-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2020 | 03:24 AM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Power steering fluid leak from the rack/reservoir. seen in the old GT4?

poss but could it be washer fluid? I know when i use my washer the water drains into The wheel wells. Been reported before and obv not an issue.

Poss also clutch or brake master cylinders - hope not as that fluid not good on paint.

you’re under warranty, worth showing to the dealer.

snowy

Old 07-24-2020 | 01:02 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

I am not up to date on what the current generation of fluids are like so please pardon my ignorance.

The fluid I found is slightly yellow.

With my outdated view, I was expecting red/pink for power steering. And for some reasons, I expect brake fluid to have a stronger scent. But I’m most likely just not knowledgeable enough.
Old 07-24-2020 | 01:06 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

It’s a bit of a sad state with dealership service. My experience has been so bad that I would rather take it to my indy shop and pay for the repair myself (I did the same when I discovered a small coolant leak in my GT3T that traced to a tiny leak from a tiny hose). As long as it’s nothing big, not too painful. If it’s something big, maybe I will just have to jump off the might as well cliff and do a bunch of mods.
Old 07-24-2020 | 01:59 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
I am seeing drips behind the driver’s side front wheel. I can feel the oil on the first few inches of the “pinch weld area” (I don’t know how else to describe the location). I will have it checked out soon but thought there are experts on here that might have insights.

Any idea what lines run through there? Lines to and from oil coolers? It drips 1 to 2 teaspoons (if that) over a 12 hour period approximately.

Thanks!
I had this on both my 991.2 Targas, I think it was from washer fluid, maybe overflow getting full after wash?
Old 07-24-2020 | 02:21 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KenTO
I had this on both my 991.2 Targas, I think it was from washer fluid, maybe overflow getting full after wash?
It is oil though.
Old 07-25-2020 | 07:35 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
When you say behind the front wheel. Are you saying toward the back of the car? or middle of the car? Trying to figure out the exact location.
Old 07-25-2020 | 07:54 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

It’s a bit of a sad state with dealership service. My experience has been so bad that I would rather take it to my indy shop and pay for the repair myself (I did the same when I discovered a small coolant leak in my GT3T that traced to a tiny leak from a tiny hose). As long as it’s nothing big, not too painful. If it’s something big, maybe I will just have to jump off the might as well cliff and do a bunch of mods.
Just take it to a dealer (maybe a different one) and get it fixed under warranty. If you're not going to use the warranty and plan to use the indy shop instead then why not just buy used?
Old 07-25-2020 | 08:14 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911F1
When you say behind the front wheel. Are you saying toward the back of the car? or middle of the car? Trying to figure out the exact location.
Good to clarify. Between the door and the front wheel. I was using behind the front wheel to reference lengthwise. Any idea what oil it might be?

Last edited by ForeverCar; 07-25-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2020 | 08:20 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
Just take it to a dealer (maybe a different one) and get it fixed under warranty. If you're not going to use the warranty and plan to use the indy shop instead then why not just buy used?
A potentially good one is an hour and a half away but still an unknown. I would consider using the warranty if it’s something I can stomach but will probably pay for transport both ways to the dealership I bought from (20+ years relationship).

I wouldn't get to spec it exactly how I want for used, there’s more of a wait to get a good car, I like supporting the dealership that has treated me well, and I get joy out of the excitement of a new car are a few reasons for buying new. I am willing to spend money for not having to deal with bad customer service and bad quality work. I also like support my local shop too.
Old 07-26-2020 | 02:56 AM
GTcrazed
AutoX

Have had my GT4 for about one week. Same issue. Leaking fluid on left side just behind left front wheel well. Very disconcerting. Taking to dealer Monday. Will let you know what they say.
Old 07-26-2020 | 03:38 AM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Search the 981 GT4 forums “Windshield washer fluid leak GT4” there is a thread there from an Austrian member in 2019.

the washer fluid overflow is into the left side wheel well and the Porsche washer fluid colour isn’t the standard blue stuff.he thought it was brake fluid.

hopefully this will be the case with with your cars!

Old 07-26-2020 | 08:29 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Snowy999
Search the 981 GT4 forums “Windshield washer fluid leak GT4” there is a thread there from an Austrian member in 2019.

the washer fluid overflow is into the left side wheel well and the Porsche washer fluid colour isn’t the standard blue stuff.he thought it was brake fluid.

hopefully this will be the case with with your cars!
Thanks. I felt the fluid and it’s oil though.
Old 07-26-2020 | 11:40 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTcrazed
Have had my GT4 for about one week. Same issue. Leaking fluid on left side just behind left front wheel well. Very disconcerting. Taking to dealer Monday. Will let you know what they say.
Best of luck. I am hoping it’s something simple. And do let us know what you find out please.

Quick Reply: Small GT4 oil leak, any experts?