Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Impressions: Waved my 991.2 GT3RS adios y hola 718 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020 | 12:18 AM
Raghu
Pro

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Anyone else surprised by the angle of the spoiler? I didn't expect it to be that close to an air brake.
DFW1TT,
I wonder if the air flowing over the soft top or topless state of the car has a flatter trajectory when it hits the wing, hence the need for more angle of attack on the wing...
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020 | 12:21 AM
Raghu
Pro

Originally Posted by Haku
Just went out for an evening drive... when the heck did I last do that?
Truly an awesome car. Happy camper.
Wife ducked... she's shy!

Haku,

I love it, man. Amazing looking GT silver Spyder. I am so glad your wife is happy with the deal. I know you too. I took mine out today for a short spin and I know why you feel so elated. It is an amazing car. Glad you could make a good deal. Enjoy in good health.
Old 07-24-2020 | 12:47 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Raghu
DFW1TT,
I wonder if the air flowing over the soft top or topless state of the car has a flatter trajectory when it hits the wing, hence the need for more angle of attack on the wing...
I'm uneducated on air flow dynamics and coefficient of friction, but your idea makes sense in my ignorance.
The good news is that Preuninger & company are not as clueless as I am.
Old 07-24-2020 | 12:47 AM
HawkerDriver
Advanced

Congratulations!!!

makes me want to change my Gentian to GT silver 😂

cant wait.
Old 07-24-2020 | 01:09 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HawkerDriver
Congratulations!!!
cant wait.
Gentian will be a stunner!... frankly I think you could do this car in any color and it'll look gorgeous.
The following 3 users liked this post by Haku:
CDACH (07-24-2020), HawkerDriver (07-24-2020), ISPYA718 (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020 | 01:37 AM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Clutch feel and 6 speed gearbox: IMO the clutch is weighted perfectly. Not too hard or soft... just right and the length is good with enough feel of bite ratio. For those considering a 991.2 GT3 because they want a manual transmission (I had one), don't bother with the GT3, get the GT4 or 918 Spyder, this gearbox is sublime and I'm thrilled with it.
Nice spec Spyder! That GT silver with plat. wheels really works well.

Glad to hear you feel the clutch and gearbox are just right. When you say don't bother with the 1.2 GT3, do you mean that the clutch in the .2 GT3 is softer / not as good or they're basically the same in feel?
Old 07-24-2020 | 01:55 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

congrats!! nice write up!
Old 07-24-2020 | 08:20 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raghu
Haku,

I love it, man. Amazing looking GT silver Spyder. I am so glad your wife is happy with the deal. I know you too. I took mine out today for a short spin and I know why you feel so elated. It is an amazing car. Glad you could make a good deal. Enjoy in good health.
Raghu, thank you. I'm just incredibly impressed by the mid-engine platform. I can see myself getting an RS car and keeping the Spyder. I think your 2 are well placed.

Originally Posted by _nosubstitute_
Nice spec Spyder! That GT silver with plat. wheels really works well.

Glad to hear you feel the clutch and gearbox are just right. When you say don't bother with the 1.2 GT3, do you mean that the clutch in the .2 GT3 is softer / not as good or they're basically the same in feel?
I'll try to explain from my dummy perspective. I think the 991 platform and dynamics were designed for a PDK transmission and the manual was a later adaptation. What that translates to in the clutch is in "feel"... imo the GT3 specific feel that I expected was more in line with the 997.2 GT3. It was raw and sort of more analogue, it was those elements of a manual transmission that enhanced driver engagement that were unique and what I wanted. For me, the 991.2 GT3 manual transmission felt very digital and failed to offer the manual driving experience I had hoped to for. The Spyder clutch although a bit softer than the 991.2 GT3, seems to be far better matched to the chassis, and offers a drive that is quite unique and super engaging. The manual transmission was one of my major questions about the Spyder... after experiencing it I'd say, if anyone hankers for a manual Porsche, get the earlier versions of the 911 or get this Spyder which offers a manual experience that is unlike any, and one that I really like.

Last edited by Haku; 07-24-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-24-2020 | 09:20 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

I don't discount what you're saying regarding the difference in manual transmissions, as I know the reverse engineering of the 7mt for the 991 to be true.
But I also wonder how much of the awesome feel of your new Spyder has to do with the mid-engine platform. I know my 981 Spyder has essentially ruined me for most other sports cars, including the 911 including 991 and 992. The inherent balance of the Porsche mid-engine models is pretty special, and it makes it easy to see why devotees begged for these cars for years - to allow Porsche to put big boy motors in them and let them live up to their potential. They're finally doing it, and you don't hear people calling them Barbie cars anymore, and you do hear people saying you might want to consider this instead of your fancy 911 model - exactly what Porsche was worried about once upon a time.
Old 07-24-2020 | 09:48 AM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HawkerDriver
Congratulations!!!

cant wait.
The blue is a beauty. Seen it in person.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
HawkerDriver (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020 | 09:49 AM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Haku, beautiful car in GT Silver. A color that will never go out of style. The car sounds amazing. Enjoy in good health!!
Old 07-24-2020 | 09:52 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Raghu, thank you. I'm just incredibly impressed by the mid-engine platform. I can see myself getting an RS car and keeping the Spyder. I think your 2 are well placed.

I'll try to explain from my dummy perspective. I think the 991 platform and dynamics were designed for a PDK transmission and the manual was a later adaptation. What that translates to in the clutch is in "feel"... imo the GT3 specific feel that I expected was more in line with the 997.2 GT3. It was raw and sort of more analogue, it was those elements of a manual transmission that enhanced driver engagement that were unique and what I wanted. For me, the 991.2 GT3 manual transmission felt very digital and failed to offer the manual driving experience I had hoped to for. The Spyder clutch although a bit softer than the 991.2 GT3, seems to be far better matched to the chassis, and offers a drive that is quite unique and super engaging. The manual transmission was one of my major questions about the Spyder... after experiencing it I'd say, if anyone hankers for a manual Porsche, get the earlier versions of the 911 or get this Spyder which offers a manual experience that is unlike any, and one that I really like.
Cant agree more!!!! I'm also coming from a manual GT3 and I noticed the same. GT4/Spyder is better in this regard.
I also love my new Spyder! Only missing the raw and noisier engine from the 3.
Old 07-24-2020 | 11:31 AM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Cant agree more!!!! I'm also coming from a manual GT3 and I noticed the same. GT4/Spyder is better in this regard.
I also love my new Spyder! Only missing the raw and noisier engine from the 3.

Thanks both for POV on it, a lot have been complaining about it, but coming from two who have your background on .2 GT3 / MTs, great to hear all is well with Porsche's latest 6 speed box & clutch.
Old 07-24-2020 | 07:08 PM
Flyeater718
1st Gear

This is a great review. I am new to the forum, and owner of 2 993's and am awaiting confirmation of a Spyder in 2021. Its an amazing car. Thanks for the confirmation. Would love to join your Smokies group upon delivery.
Old 07-24-2020 | 07:32 PM
HawkerDriver
Advanced

Originally Posted by C2Spin
The blue is a beauty. Seen it in person.
thank you 😉 yea I can’t wait,
I ordered mine with platinum wheels and blacked out Porsche logo 👌

Quick Reply: Impressions: Waved my 991.2 GT3RS adios y hola 718 Spyder