Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Interior cover for 718 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020 | 03:57 PM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
I don't see how putting that cover on/off is any less hassle or better than putting the actual top on/off. Maybe the only advantage is that it covers the windshield so protects the interior from the sun. Big downside is it flapping in the wind (damaging the paint) and its questionable protection against side rain with wind. Also, looks like water would accumulate and sag it down in the middle.
It might be a bit easier than putting up and latching the Spyder's top and putting up the windows. And if one had the interior cover actually fitted to the Spyder there might not be any wind flapping or rain accumulating. I was thinking of it not so much for inclement weather as just an easy way to protect the interior from bird droppings and dust, that sort of thing. Rather like the old tonneau covers that were used with British sports cars...but putting up those tops was like building a bridge!

God bless,
TT
Old 07-27-2020 | 04:01 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
I don't see how putting that cover on/off is any less hassle or better than putting the actual top on/off. Maybe the only advantage is that it covers the windshield so protects the interior from the sun. Big downside is it flapping in the wind (damaging the paint) and its questionable protection against side rain with wind. Also, looks like water would accumulate and sag it down in the middle.
Agree. When I had my TR6, I had a tonneau cover that had a zipper down the center. I could just unzip the driver’s side and drive it with the tonneau still installed. Then, when I parked it, I would just zip the driver’s side shut and the whole interior was covered. That was really slick. I wish someone made a similar system for the Spyder.

https://mossmotors.com/tonneau-cover...SABEgLq7vD_BwE
The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (08-28-2022)
Old 07-27-2020 | 04:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Thanks, Westcoast. That should work for most circumstances, don't you think? I note, for those who don't already have an interior cover, that Roadster Solutions does have an interior cover specifically for the 981 Spyder, which might fit better in the rear of a 718 Spyder. It turns out not to be needed by yours truly as I ended up committing to a 718 GT4.

God bless,
TT
Yes, it will be just fine for it's intended purpose... I plan on altering the rear portion so that it doesn't go over the paint.

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
It might be a bit easier than putting up and latching the Spyder's top and putting up the windows. And if one had the interior cover actually fitted to the Spyder there might not be any wind flapping or rain accumulating. I was thinking of it not so much for inclement weather as just an easy way to protect the interior from bird droppings and dust, that sort of thing. Rather like the old tonneau covers that were used with British sports cars...but putting up those tops was like building a bridge!

God bless,
TT
This is fast and easy, sure you could open the clamshell, pull up the top, roll up the windows... but this is more to protect the top when it is in my shop, or if it is on the driveway from bird droppings and dust. I just got back from a short drive ( funny how I am making excuses to drive once again...) Anyway, on a side street driving under a tree and SPLAT! a not so nice air-bomb on the windshield, I said out loud, Thanks guys! Then a minute later when I parked I saw that they also scored a direct hit on the passenger seat, big and white dripping down the Alcantara and leather...

Hey wait isn't this supposed to be good luck?
Old 07-27-2020 | 05:31 PM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Anyway, on a side street driving under a tree and SPLAT! a not so nice air-bomb on the windshield, I said out loud, Thanks guys! Then a minute later when I parked I saw that they also scored a direct hit on the passenger seat, big and white dripping down the Alcantara and leather...

Hey wait isn't this supposed to be good luck?
That car is anything but for the birds, Westcoast!

God bless,
TT
Westcoast (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020 | 06:24 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
If you are parking the vehicle for a short period of time and want basic protection of the interior, you can just put up the roof, and not latch it and not fasten the buttresses. Alternatively, the front latch is VERY easy when the buttresses are not fastened. This is what I do when I park. You only need to fasten the buttresses when you DRIVE with the top up.
n4v4nod (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020 | 07:27 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
If you are parking the vehicle for a short period of time and want basic protection of the interior, you can just put up the roof, and not latch it and not fasten the buttresses. Alternatively, the front latch is VERY easy when the buttresses are not fastened. This is what I do when I park. You only need to fasten the buttresses when you DRIVE with the top up.
Can the vehicle be driven with the roof latched, back decklid closed but with the buttress wings secured in the roof clips not extended and fastened on the decklid. Lets say you needed to put up top in a hurry ie rain. Also in this scenario can the side flaps be left in th up position would assume water drains and does not enter cockpit or rear trunk.

Quick Reply: Interior cover for 718 Spyder?