Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

cost of servicing manual vs pdk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 03:02 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts
Default cost of servicing manual vs pdk?

Does anybody have any concrete information of how much it will cost to service and replace clutch vs servicing pdk? How long does the pdk generally last in Porsches before needing service and other than failure, would the pdk ever need to be replaced? I assume the wear in pdk is at a much lower rate since it's all controlled by computer vs manual transmission has the variable of human control and engagement.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:40 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

PDK failures are extremely rare on the third generation of PDK (used on 982 and 991.2). Officially, the fluid should be changed out every 180,000 km or 12 years, though for peace of mind I’d prefer to change it at half that interval. The wet clutches should last the life of the car (300k km or more, maybe a million+ km, though nobody has driven one that far). I’ve never heard of worn out PDK clutches on the newer generation of the transmission either. My experience with wet clutches in heavy machinery suggests they can be extremely durable if properly controlled. On wheel loaders, they typically last 20,000 hours of operation, where the transmission is constantly shifting and changing directions every few seconds.

Unless you get unlucky and something fails catastrophically, you’d likely have gone through many clutch replacements and even synchro-mesh replacement on a manual transmission before a PDK wears out.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,017 Likes on 2,837 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Does anybody have any concrete information of how much it will cost to service and replace clutch vs servicing pdk? How long does the pdk generally last in Porsches before needing service and other than failure, would the pdk ever need to be replaced? I assume the wear in pdk is at a much lower rate since it's all controlled by computer vs manual transmission has the variable of human control and engagement.
In GT3, the manual gearbox has to be serviced only to change its oil and this has to happen every 96,000 miles (I couldn't believe it - I assume it's same or similar for GT4). If you drive competently and/or rely on the Auto-Blip, it is unlikely that you'd need to replace the clutch within this timeframe.

PDK-S service is required much more frequently than numbers kindly provided in post above for PDK-S in GT3, maybe standard PDK is more resilient? PDK-S gets Clutch fluid at 48,000 miles and transmission oil at 96,000 miles.

Last edited by GrantG; 07-02-2020 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Underblu (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 05:20 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

As GrantG says, there is no scheduled maintenance for the manual (most people will never put 100k miles on their Porsche). And a clutch should last you the life of the car unless you beat the crap out of it or just don’t know how to drive a manual (or perhaps Use your car to teach your kid how to drive one).
Old 07-02-2020, 05:26 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
PDK failures are extremely rare on the third generation of PDK (used on 982 and 991.2). Officially, the fluid should be changed out every 180,000 km or 12 years, though for peace of mind I’d prefer to change it at half that interval. The wet clutches should last the life of the car (300k km or more, maybe a million+ km, though nobody has driven one that far). I’ve never heard of worn out PDK clutches on the newer generation of the transmission either. My experience with wet clutches in heavy machinery suggests they can be extremely durable if properly controlled. On wheel loaders, they typically last 20,000 hours of operation, where the transmission is constantly shifting and changing directions every few seconds.

Unless you get unlucky and something fails catastrophically, you’d likely have gone through many clutch replacements and even synchro-mesh replacement on a manual transmission before a PDK wears out.
Originally Posted by GrantG
In GT3, the manual gearbox has to be serviced only to change its oil and this has to happen every 96,000 miles (I couldn't believe it - I assume it's same or similar for GT4). If you drive competently, it is unlikely that you'd need to replace the clutch within this timeframe.

PDK-S service is required much more frequently than numbers kindly provided in post above for PDK-S in GT3, maybe standard PDK is more resilient? PDK-S gets Clutch fluid at 48,000 miles and transmission oil at 96,000 miles.
Wow. Didn't know that the manual tranny is expected to go that long before any kind of servicing needs like fluids. I guess if the manual can go that long, the pdk should go much longer as Wizee says.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:07 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

On 987.2 i've changed oils in pdk and dif (not including oil filter/gearbox sump) - it wasn't cheap but not crazy. I can't imagine stretch oils change to 180,000 km - i did the change at ~65,000 km and the pdk felt so much better after this.
Changing clutch and flywheel on manual car will be much more expensive.

Quick Reply: cost of servicing manual vs pdk?