Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Doug DeMuro GT4 review

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 08:30 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

Cartchpole, Meaden, Sutcliffe, Bovington, Prior, Prosser, Metclafe, and Harris and to break up my Brit bias Cammisa and a few others on this side of the pond. Yes I guess prefer to hear about their take on the car than being entertained. The cars are entertaining and it is great to get someone’s feedback who is an experienced driver (track) or who had put in tons of hours driving cars apprenticing trying to be a professional journalist. Also their camera work and editing are excellent. Too many reviewers sound like my neighbour reviewing a car. But I guess that is the age we are in - influencers instead of the traditional journalists. I guess I’m showing my age. But that is the beauty of freedom - lots to choose from for everyone’s taste and I expect a lot of people will not agree with my choices and I guess the number of hits and subscribers reflects who is popular.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:29 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
Cartchpole, Meaden, Sutcliffe, Bovington, Prior, Prosser, Metclafe, and Harris and to break up my Brit bias Cammisa and a few others on this side of the pond. Yes I guess prefer to hear about their take on the car than being entertained. The cars are entertaining and it is great to get someone’s feedback who is an experienced driver (track) or who had put in tons of hours driving cars apprenticing trying to be a professional journalist. Also their camera work and editing are excellent. Too many reviewers sound like my neighbour reviewing a car. But I guess that is the age we are in - influencers instead of the traditional journalists. I guess I’m showing my age. But that is the beauty of freedom - lots to choose from for everyone’s taste and I expect a lot of people will not agree with my choices and I guess the number of hits and subscribers reflects who is popular.
Harris is good because he can take a car past adhesion, that’s his whole thing. Sure it makes for spectacular footage but it also lends to few reviewers who push the car to and past that level, or at least who pursue an environment to do such things within. He can backcast the ability and character of a car from there. To me he is the best current judge of character on performance cars outside of race drivers, which there are few journos of (Pobst, Pilgrim). There’s slick talkers then there’s the do’ers. Those who can do... those who can’t, teach.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:25 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Harris has a great story as well. Definitely paid his dues and worked on his craft. He has a unique delivery and is a character, but has a depth of knowledge and a long career driving many different cars over the years. Sutcliffe is also a former race car driver.
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 12:11 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster17
I can watch almost all of the regular YouTube reviewers but I cannot stomach Shmee. Everything about him drives me up the wall. But I’ll still take Shmee over Stradman. I cannot figure out why he is so popular. Beginning to think the movie Idiocracy is a foreshadowing of what’s to come.
Idiocracy is PROPHECY and we are already living it.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:14 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

It's all entertainment.

All those you mention are great too. For me, sometimes I like a Shmee, sometimes a Catchpole with Metcalfe and maybe a Metcalfe Farm chaser with a side of Matt Farah. Leno is fantastic too with the history and detail. By the end of the week I've watched all of the above and some more. Doug fits in maybe once every 2 weeks but I'm not drawn in continuously learning about the quirks and features.

That's the beauty with YouTube in recent years, whatever you feel like watching for car content, it's likely there.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:23 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Yes entertaining but some is also educational. I guess that is my lens - prefer informed opinions, facts, and salient information - yes much is anecdotal but some is substantive. What constitutes an expert in one’s field? Experience, degrees, race car experience? Or I have a camera and I like cars? Interesting discussion.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:46 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster17
I can watch almost all of the regular YouTube reviewers but I cannot stomach Shmee. Everything about him drives me up the wall. But I’ll still take Shmee over Stradman. I cannot figure out why he is so popular. Beginning to think the movie Idiocracy is a foreshadowing of what’s to come.
Same here, and I’d take stradman before vehicle virgin probably, tough call.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:49 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SToronto
There's a long thread of hate and praise for Shmee on the 991 GT3 section.

Personally I was watching before he became big and became shmee. When he had his Tim channel. Yeah he sounded annoying but I got over it after a bunch of videos. While he isn't very technical in the videos I find him to be a good balance of information and entertainment for easy informative viewing. He also brings content that others do not. So I do watch his videos regularly, not all but most. Kudos to him as well for what he's made for himself. He's had support but to my knowledge took that support and built what he now has.

Will check out Thomas.
Shmee is a cool dude/good car guy, it’s just his camera work&probably voice tough to stomach
Old 06-26-2020, 02:53 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Doug provides ok entertainment if you can get his humor. Serious reviews I’d go smokingtire and savagegeese. Straightpipes has a good twist of both flavor
Old 06-26-2020, 08:29 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Yes entertaining but some is also educational. I guess that is my lens - prefer informed opinions, facts, and salient information - yes much is anecdotal but some is substantive. What constitutes an expert in one’s field? Experience, degrees, race car experience? Or I have a camera and I like cars? Interesting discussion.
Depends on your definition of entertainment I suppose. Are they all performers putting on a show? I say yes, all have different backgrounds delivering a different show and level of engagement. I think most that have been mentioned are educational to varying degrees. I haven't seen Stradman. Salomondrin on the other hand, that's circus entertainment. A Shmee video I watched this week, listening to Renntech analyse his SLS AMG Black Series on the Dyno, educational and entertaining.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:31 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Shmee is a cool dude/good car guy, it’s just his camera work&probably voice tough to stomach
haha...voice took a while for me. Camera work, well it's not fancy, no special music or drones etc. For me there's some value in that, not always looking for a cinematic production.
The following users liked this post:
wizee (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 10:36 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Did I miss Chris Harris do a review of the 781 GT4 or Spyder?
Old 06-26-2020, 10:37 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Don't think so. His personal content is limited now and Top Gear has been releasing compilations of his work since the pandemic hit the UK.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:10 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Not that I could find but I’m sure it is in the pipeline.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:21 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Not that I know of either. Last time with the 981 he did a GT4 review. I am hoping (especially given the bits between GT4 and Spyder all all basically the same now) that he will do a Spyder this time around. But as mentioned also he seems to be doing less work on his own due to Top Gear. So although he may review for Top Gear it may end up the part of some ridiculous challenge driving it through inhospitable terrain instead of a proper focused review. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Doug DeMuro GT4 review