Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Sport+ on GT4 w/PDK

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 07:36 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts
Question Sport+ on GT4 w/PDK

Will it require the Sport Chrono package?

On the GTS 4.0 under std equipment you'll see that the mode switch is there as well as Sport Chrono. Nothing like that is listed for the GT4, optional or std with PDK.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:39 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 262 Posts

Sports Chrono on GT cars only adds the clock and PTPA.
GT Cars don't have Sports Plus either.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:20 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TDT
Sports Chrono on GT cars only adds the clock and PTPA.
GT Cars don't have Sports Plus either.

From the GT3 page:
Seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with manual control by steering wheel gearshift paddles and gear selector. Includes an automatic mode and coasting function. SPORT Response button for fingertip activation of performance-oriented engine, transmission and chassis setups. Activation of the ‘Launch Control’ function (racing start) and motorsport-derived gearshift strategy in SPORT PLUS mode
Old 06-24-2020, 10:18 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

From the GT3 page:
Seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with manual control by steering wheel gearshift paddles and gear selector. Includes an automatic mode and coasting function. SPORT Response button for fingertip activation of performance-oriented engine, transmission and chassis setups. Activation of the ‘Launch Control’ function (racing start) and motorsport-derived gearshift strategy in SPORT PLUS mode
Go look at real-life pictures of GT3s with clocks (Sport Chrono). Do they have a dial on the wheel? No.
It's a typo
Old 06-24-2020, 11:40 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Go look at real-life pictures of GT3s with clocks (Sport Chrono). Do they have a dial on the wheel? No.
It's a typo
its handled via a button in the center console on those cars. The mode button on the steering wheel came after on other models.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:12 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

its handled via a button in the center console on those cars. The mode button on the steering wheel came after on other models.
In a 991.2 GT3???! They have a button called "PDK Sport" and that's it. That's also the same gen of cars (991.2 Carrera) that moved the Sport/Sport Plus buttons from the center console.

991.1 GT3 (note the PDK Sport button, followed by PASM, also including clock):

991.2 GT3 (note PDK Sport button, and clock, with no dial on the steering wheel):

There has been no dial on the steering wheel, and no Sport+ mode for any GT3 in the 991 generation. Period.
If you can find evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it

991.2 GT3s with a 6MT had a "Sport" button on the center console (still never a dial) - all this did was the same thing the "Auto Blip" button does on GT4s.

981 GT4s had a Sport button in the center console. The only "GT" car I can recall in all of the 9X1 generation having a "Sport Plus" button was the 981 Spyder.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

just to be clear that the way in which a driver selects a particular driving mode (dash button or steering wheel rotary selector), has little, if anything, to do with the available programming (and modes) of the car's various traction, stability, transmission, and engine mgmt s/w ... at best the only association is the # of modes selectable and the physical (or virtual) control exposed to the driver/user in order to select those.

A "good" example of this (lack of a relationship - or at least a misnomer) was the "PDCC" button in PDCC equipped 911s where in fact this was the "sport" (or was it sport+) mode switch since PDCC is "always on" ...

In a 991.2 GT3???! They have a button called "PDK Sport" and that's it. That's also the same gen of cars (991.2 Carrera) that moved the Sport/Sport Plus buttons from the center console.

991.2 GT3 (note PDK Sport button, and clock, with no dial on the steering wheel):

There has been no dial on the steering wheel, and no Sport+ mode for any GT3 in the 991 generation. Period.

991.2 GT3s with a 6MT had a "Sport" button on the center console (still never a dial) - all this did was the same thing the "Auto Blip" button does on GT4s.

981 GT4s had a Sport button in the center console. The only "GT" car I can recall in all of the 9X1 generation having a "Sport Plus" button was the 981 Spyder.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:24 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 447 Posts

"auto blip" button should say "pdk sport" on gt4. the hardware will be same as 718 GTS but should have a slick TCU map. this is a win in my book
Old 06-24-2020, 01:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
"auto blip" button should say "pdk sport" on gt4. the hardware will be same as 718 GTS but should have a slick TCU map. this is a win in my book
+1 definitely potential for faster shifts and also different shift points on PDK.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Are you really that dense and need to lay off the caffeine and read what I posted about the dial
The GT3 PDK is a PDK-S that is always in Sport mode and therefore only needs 1 position change to get into Sport+. Has nothing to do with a dial.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:27 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,871 Likes on 782 Posts

Are you really that dense and need to lay off the caffeine and read what I posted about the dial
The GT3 PDK is a PDK-S that is always in Sport mode and therefore only needs 1 position change to get into Sport+. Has nothing to do with a dial.
Dude, chill out. SUCH RAGE.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:28 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

My whole entire point is that there's no "Sport+".
If you are calling the "PDK Sport" button the equivalent of "Sport+" then I... sort of agree with you (we're just thinking about it in different ways).

I don't agree with referring to the car as "always in sport mode" - that's implying that it's sportier than some normal mode, of which there is none. I prefer to think of it as: the normal mode of a GT car is "sport-y"
Old 06-24-2020, 02:51 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

If the photos in the configurator are correct, then the PDK in the GTS must be different to the GT4 , if only at a programming level, because the dial in the GTS allows the selection of Comfort, Individual, Sport and Sport+ whereas In the GT4 PDK photos there is only the two drive modes of Sport and Sport+ as in the GT3. So if it is the same box in each car, they are simply removing two modes in the GT4 at a programming level....but on ther other hand....there could be a surprise in store for everyone.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
If the photos in the configurator are correct, then the PDK in the GTS must be different to the GT4 , if only at a programming level, because the dial in the GTS allows the selection of Comfort, Individual, Sport and Sport+ whereas In the GT4 PDK photos there is only the two drive modes of Sport and Sport+ as in the GT3. So if it is the same box in each car, they are simply removing two modes in the GT4 at a programming level....but on ther other hand....there could be a surprise in store for everyone.
good catch - so perhaps then there will be some GT* programming associated - it would make sense...even if its just sport and sport+

anyone know what the PDK ratios and final drive are - to compare with the current 6MT?
Old 06-24-2020, 03:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,520 Likes on 5,051 Posts

Sorry, dumb question time.

Is the PDK in the GT4 going to be PDK-S (a la the GT3 cars) or regular PDK?

Quick Reply: Sport+ on GT4 w/PDK