Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

ESC+TC off but still cutting power on hard launch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 04:06 PM
thedoctor
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default ESC+TC off but still cutting power on hard launch?

I’ve noticed that my car is still electronically interfering by cutting power when I try launch the car hard, despite ESC+TC being switched completely off?

This happens regardless if I use the launch control function or not.

The cars wheels start spinning and then you can feel the power gets cut very briefly before taking off.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how the issue can be fixed? If I have ESC+TC completely off I want absolutely no electronic nannying or interference!

When I first tried this the car had under 1000 km’s on the clock, so I thought it may be a built-in safety feature or something, but I’ve subsequently tried it after passing the 1000 km point and it’s still doing the same thing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...
Old 06-22-2020, 04:29 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

I have never driven one yet.

Interesting to note not everything can be turned off.

Could it be wheel hop?
Old 06-22-2020, 04:36 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by thedoctor
I’ve noticed that my car is still electronically interfering by cutting power when I try launch the car hard, despite ESC+TC being switched completely off?

This happens regardless if I use the launch control function or not.

The cars wheels start spinning and then you can feel the power gets cut very briefly before taking off.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how the issue can be fixed? If I have ESC+TC completely off I want absolutely no electronic nannying or interference!

When I first tried this the car had under 1000 km’s on the clock, so I thought it may be a built-in safety feature or something, but I’ve subsequently tried it after passing the 1000 km point and it’s still doing the same thing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...
First things: there is no "launch control" function in these. It holds the revs at 5000 simply because that's what it's programmed to do when the car is at a standstill.

Any bogging on launch is either built in torque protection in first gear, or is due to the amount of traction that the wheels have (big rear tires). You mostly see this effect in AWD cars without launch control: instantly shifting torque to 4 wheels of traction and your engine is going to bog down because there's not enough torque to spin the wheels that quickly.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:46 AM
Antipodean
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

These cars DO have launch control. This has been discussed previously in the forums and I posted a page from the manual here. As also stated previously in the forums, I have tried a couple of hard starts with PSM+TC off. I over-revved it and left some liquorice behind. The confectionary delivery only ceased when I backed off the throttle a little -- are you sure you did not do this instinctively?

If you really want to test your theory of engine cut-off, try to do some sustained burnouts on purpose and film the results for us. I have no interest in cooking my tyres further to answer this question.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:27 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Did you turn off PSM?
Old 06-23-2020, 06:18 AM
GTChamp
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

According to page 216 of the manual, you should leave TCS on for launch control
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 09:02 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Isn't the point of launch control to moderate slip and traction to optimize the acceleration? If the rear wheels are spinning the control is going to adjust power delivery until you have traction. Are you trying to do a burn out or just launch without computer assistance?
Old 06-23-2020, 09:12 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Isn't the point of launch control to moderate slip and traction to optimize the acceleration? If the rear wheels are spinning the control is going to adjust power delivery until you have traction. Are you trying to do a burn out or just launch without computer assistance?
This is why I mentioned I don't believe it has it.

Anyone in this thread: Is there text appearing on the PCM saying "Launch Control Activated"? If not, then it does not have launch control.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:12 PM
thedoctor
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Antipodean
These cars DO have launch control. This has been discussed previously in the forums and I posted a page from the manual here. As also stated previously in the forums, I have tried a couple of hard starts with PSM+TC off. I over-revved it and left some liquorice behind. The confectionary delivery only ceased when I backed off the throttle a little -- are you sure you did not do this instinctively?

If you really want to test your theory of engine cut-off, try to do some sustained burnouts on purpose and film the results for us. I have no interest in cooking my tyres further to answer this question.
I’m certain I didn’t back off the throttle. Kept it completely flat. As mentioned in my post, this bogging down happens regardless if I use launch control or not, so there would be no way of doing a burnout even if I wanted to.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Antipodean
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

My unintended burnouts happened at about 1/3 throttle and 4000/min, with TC off. So yes, at full throttle there must be some engine cutoff even with TC off. Interesting report and thankyou, thedoctor.
The following users liked this post:
thedoctor (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:12 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by GTChamp
According to page 216 of the manual, you should leave TCS on for launch control
Hahahahaha!
When all else fails, RTFM!
That's happened to me maybe a hundred times.

Quick Reply: ESC+TC off but still cutting power on hard launch?