Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Porsche the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020 | 09:43 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Default Porsche the only one?

Is Porsche the only manufacturer building a car like the GT4/Spyder? I can’t think of anyone else building a current car that checks these boxes. I can’t think of a manufacturer building another car like this one. I believe it has no peers. No car to cross shop with. Lotus, GM, Ford, ,Alfa, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston, Audi, Merc, BMW, no Japanese automakers, etc. - am I missing someone that is. Thanks Porsche for ticking these boxes and giving us a modern throw back car - a unicorn!
Boxes that only Porsche is ticking:
NASP
MidEngine
3 Pedal Manual
Convertible

Bonus list
2 trunks for a 3-4 day getaway.
sub 4 Sec to 60 Time
incredible Ring time
Figure 8 time
looks (subjective) - but I love it
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (05-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2020 | 10:29 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Yes, I believe you're correct sir : ) There's a reason why a lot of car manufacturers trying to build the best mid range sports car uses the Cayman as a benchmark. For example, Toyota tried to use the Cayman as the benchmark for the recent Supra.

While we do give Porsche grief on certain foibles here and there, they generally do listen to their customers and stick to their ethos.
Old 05-11-2020 | 10:47 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Maybe the Lotus Evora? I'm not interested in it and don't think it stacks up, but I think it's the same concept.
wdr911 (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020 | 11:31 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
Maybe the Lotus Evora? I'm not interested in it and don't think it stacks up, but I think it's the same concept.
I believe the engine is supercharged no? Not a convertible.But Lotus would share the same philosophy.
Old 05-11-2020 | 11:51 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

i was cross shopping the 2020 M2CS. Yes, I know it's a front engine twin turbo inline 6, but performance wise I believe it has a slightly better Ring time...or it's close to the GT4. You can get it in MT. Unlike this iteration of the GT4, the 2CS is a limited run, i think they are building 1,500 of them? I had an allocation locked up, but ultimately passed when my Porsche SA called me for this one (I had deposits on both cars). So I guess that says something...at least from my perspective.
Old 05-12-2020 | 12:22 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

My post was about shopping for a mid engine with the other desirable features. otherwise corvettes, Camaro ZLE, Astons, etc, would also qualify along with M2 - manual, etc. There is nothing I can think of. The Spyder is a unicorn in terms of mid-engines.
Old 05-12-2020 | 12:47 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
My post was about shopping for a mid engine with the other desirable features. otherwise corvettes, Camaro ZLE, Astons, etc, would also qualify along with M2 - manual, etc. There is nothing I can think of. The Spyder is a unicorn in terms of mid-engines.
I think the C8 Corvette is closest, it will tick most of those boxes (except 6sp, ZR1 option?) and will likely have a T top at some point. It may be a performance bargain, hopefully it pushes the Porsche engineers to stay on the cutting edge.
Old 05-12-2020 | 01:47 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

GM should have kept the 3 pedal. With the convertible set to be released - NASP V8 mid engine manual drop top would have been the only other manufacturer. I think Audi stopped the manual in the both R8 and R8 V10 NASP in 2015 so they may have been the last manufacturer to meet criteria in original post
DFW01TT (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020 | 09:55 AM
mr gregash
Banned

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
i was cross shopping the 2020 M2CS. Yes, I know it's a front engine twin turbo inline 6, but performance wise I believe it has a slightly better Ring time...or it's close to the GT4. You can get it in MT. Unlike this iteration of the GT4, the 2CS is a limited run, i think they are building 1,500 of them? I had an allocation locked up, but ultimately passed when my Porsche SA called me for this one (I had deposits on both cars). So I guess that says something...at least from my perspective.
Curious about this. M2 CS ran 7:28 on the Ring? The M2 Competiton could only manage 7:52.xx so I would be highly suspect of that time. My guess, low to mid 7:40s - probably closer to what the 981 GT4 was except I’d also venture to say they did it with DCT and not manual meaning like for like transmission it is nowhere close to the 718, let alone the 981 GT4.
The CS only has 444 hp (underrated and probably more like 500 hp) and it weighs the same as the M2 Competition (3600 lbs) so it is by no means light. The M4 GTS at ~3400lbs and (underrated) 500 hp could only do a measly 7:29 on the Ring (slower than a much less powerful 991.2 on summer tires). No way the M2CS comes close to a 718 GT4 on the Ring unless it has 650-700 hp.
BMWs CS moniker means very little. The M3/4 CS was not better performing than the Competiton car if you account for the fact that it got stickier tires. M2 CS will be more of the same.

So far on Hockenheim the M2 CS with 444 (likely underrated) did 1:55.8 and I think that was DCT. The 718 GT4 with a manual did 1:55. Assuming 1 second per 1 mins lap for PDK the GT4 is probably a 1:53 car meaning it is again in a league well above.

Overall, I think realistically only Lotus and the previous Alfa 4C vert are of the same ethos of the Cayman/Boxster. I think as times have moved on, Porsche has only continued to separate itself from others despite them benchmarking their cars.

Last edited by mr gregash; 05-12-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2020 | 10:26 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mr gregash

Overall, I think realistically only Lotus and the previous Alfa 4C vert are of the same ethos of the Cayman/Boxster. I think as times have moved on, Porsche has only continued to separate itself from others despite them benchmarking their cars.
Agree on the ethos. But the Alfa 4C is turbo charged with no manual option and a targa top. Lotus is supercharged and no convertible. I would also put Alpine A110 in that ethos. But again turbo charged engine, no manual box, and no convertible - yet. But they are all nimble light sports cars trying to be rivals in that space. But if you looking to buy a car because you want NASP, convertible top, and a 3 pedal - Porsche is the only choice. And I would argue that the latest Spyder - even in terms of test numbers, outclasses them. Perhaps there is a boutique car maker that I am not considering?
Old 05-12-2020 | 10:43 AM
mdork
Instructor

Agreed Porsche have a stronghold on the 3-pedal sports car market but they are rather different than Lotus in ethos (pros and cons). The driving experience in my Elise is worlds more rewarding than my 911 but I love the 911 for different reasons. A modern Boxster is quite a technological force and not such a pure driver’s car despite the manual tranny. But it’s all relative. Most cars made today are boring. The Spyder is the best overall experience under $150K for a new car sold in the US for those of us who crave a clutch pedal, mid-engine layout, and an open top.
ISPYA718 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020 | 10:45 AM
mdork
Instructor

Agree on the ethos. But the Alfa 4C is turbo charged with no manual option and a targa top. Lotus is supercharged and no convertible. I would also put Alpine A110 in that ethos. But again turbo charged engine, no manual box, and no convertible - yet. But they are all nimble light sports cars trying to be rivals in that space. But if you looking to buy a car because you want NASP, convertible top, and a 3 pedal - Porsche is the only choice. And I would argue that the latest Spyder - even in terms of test numbers, outclasses them. Perhaps there is a boutique car maker that I am not considering?
If you’re hardcore enough you could get a Palatov D2.

https://www.palatov.com/cars/d2/
Old 05-12-2020 | 12:46 PM
mslam02
Rennlist Member

Is Porsche the only manufacturer building a car like the GT4/Spyder? I can’t think of anyone else building a current car that checks these boxes. I can’t think of a manufacturer building another car like this one. I believe it has no peers. No car to cross shop with. Lotus, GM, Ford, ,Alfa, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston, Audi, Merc, BMW, no Japanese automakers, etc. - am I missing someone that is. Thanks Porsche for ticking these boxes and giving us a modern throw back car - a unicorn!
Boxes that only Porsche is ticking:
NASP
MidEngine
3 Pedal Manual
Convertible

Bonus list
2 trunks for a 3-4 day getaway.
sub 4 Sec to 60 Time
incredible Ring time
Figure 8 time
looks (subjective) - but I love it
I give you the Jannarelly design-1...

Comes in targa and convertible options, but very bespoke car and I believe a tubular chassis, so not as practical as a boxster by any means but still checks a lot of boxes on your list:
-325hp Nissan N/A V6
-3 pedals
-RWD
-850kg (1870 lbs for us americans)
-rear mid-engine layout

Old 05-12-2020 | 01:43 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Interesting cars and you are correct - these tick all the boxes as outlined. I think in the bonus boxes that were in the original post make it more saleable to the better half in terms of practicality (trunk, etc.) . All Porsche’s are one of a very select breed of car makers where you could drive it to the track, then do a track day, head home and stop at the grocery store and hardware store before pulling into your driveway - Amazing. I think what we are discovering is that the GT4 Spyder is truly a unique car. A unicorn of modern cars. If you have one or getting one - lucky indeed. Nothing to really rival it in those boxes.
Old 05-12-2020 | 04:26 PM
Alan_S
Instructor

Curious about this. M2 CS ran 7:28 on the Ring? The M2 Competiton could only manage 7:52.xx so I would be highly suspect of that time. My guess, low to mid 7:40s - probably closer to what the 981 GT4 was except I’d also venture to say they did it with DCT and not manual meaning like for like transmission it is nowhere close to the 718, let alone the 981 GT4.
The CS only has 444 hp (underrated and probably more like 500 hp) and it weighs the same as the M2 Competition (3600 lbs) so it is by no means light. The M4 GTS at ~3400lbs and (underrated) 500 hp could only do a measly 7:29 on the Ring (slower than a much less powerful 991.2 on summer tires). No way the M2CS comes close to a 718 GT4 on the Ring unless it has 650-700 hp.
BMWs CS moniker means very little. The M3/4 CS was not better performing than the Competiton car if you account for the fact that it got stickier tires. M2 CS will be more of the same.

So far on Hockenheim the M2 CS with 444 (likely underrated) did 1:55.8 and I think that was DCT. The 718 GT4 with a manual did 1:55. Assuming 1 second per 1 mins lap for PDK the GT4 is probably a 1:53 car meaning it is again in a league well above.

M3 CS did a 7:38 'ring. I'd be very very surprised if the M2 CS did better.

Quick Reply: Porsche the only one?