Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

getting an allocation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 09:34 PM
pbeezy
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts
Default getting an allocation

Is getting a 718 Spyder allocation difficult? Anyone tried and failed or is it not really like that?
Old 05-10-2020, 09:42 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by pbeezy
Is getting a 718 Spyder allocation difficult? Anyone tried and failed or is it not really like that?
I think it's harder to get a Spyder allocation compared to a GT4 because it seems they're making less of them.
But overall, I don't think it's too difficult if you're willing to call around and get one out of your local area.

Also, be willing to wait. Unless you find an open allocation now, chances are you won't get a car until almost fall or later
Old 05-11-2020, 09:49 AM
AndyE1976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Make your interest known to dealers in the area - send them a build if you have one in mind - and they can possibly get you one. They will definitely have a better idea of whether it will be difficult than anyone here.

I placed GT4 builds with both dealerships in Atlanta and could have had an allocation at both, even the one I had never bought anything from. I ended up going with the same dealership that supplied my Boxster S, but primarily because they got the allocation first.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:52 PM
pbeezy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for everyone's help and advice - I'm moving in the right direction
Old 05-13-2020, 01:06 AM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

As others have said, try going into your local dealership and expressing interest in the car. Perhaps they have a late year allocation for you, a 2021 model.

I simply walked in to my local dealership to look at the one they had on the floor and indicated that I'd like to order a car. I left my contact information and got an e-mail in a few days. They started with ADM and I told them that I'd expect MSRP in this market and to let me know. A few hours later they gave me an allocation with the hope that because I'm local that I'll do my maintenance at their store. No problem, that was my plan anyway.

Best of luck to you!
Old 05-13-2020, 07:23 AM
McMGC
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

@Hit Apex nice I see that you in SoCal, so it's MSRP down there now too?
Old 05-13-2020, 07:49 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

I called around a few months ago to get a Spyder allocation and was informed there would be a wait as it is a limit production car, yada, Yada, yada... After Covid hit I was contacted by 2 dealerships 24 hrs apart offering allocations. I put a deposit down. About 2 weeks ago I was notified that due to factory closures Porsche had reclaimed allocations for the remaining of 2020 Spyders. They would keep me on the wait list when the dealerships received new allocations, which will likely be for late 2020 delivery and most likely be MY 2021.
At least this is what I gather.
Due to the continued economic uncertainty more allocations will become available , as some customers seem to be backing out.
Some cars on ground are not spoken for and do show up on Autotrader from time to time.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:05 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Originally Posted by minchu0647
@Hit Apex nice I see that you in SoCal, so it's MSRP down there now too?
That was my experience and I hadn't purchased a car from the dealer before. It seems everyone is having varied luck with this.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:07 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
I called around a few months ago to get a Spyder allocation and was informed there would be a wait as it is a limit production car, yada, Yada, yada... After Covid hit I was contacted by 2 dealerships 24 hrs apart offering allocations. I put a deposit down. About 2 weeks ago I was notified that due to factory closures Porsche had reclaimed allocations for the remaining of 2020 Spyders. They would keep me on the wait list when the dealerships received new allocations, which will likely be for late 2020 delivery and most likely be MY 2021.
At least this is what I gather.
Due to the continued economic uncertainty more allocations will become available , as some customers seem to be backing out.
Some cars on ground are not spoken for and do show up on Autotrader from time to time.
Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news, but if you had a 2020 allocation and it was shifted, you should have been reissued a 2021 allocation. For them to say they you are back on a waitlist is wrong. They either have their info wrong or they gave your allocation to someone else. I read the memo from PNCA stating that no allocation will be lost but there is potential of it being reissued as a 2021 if not already staying a 2020.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:55 PM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news, but if you had a 2020 allocation and it was shifted, you should have been reissued a 2021 allocation. For them to say they you are back on a waitlist is wrong. They either have their info wrong or they gave your allocation to someone else. I read the memo from PNCA stating that no allocation will be lost but there is potential of it being reissued as a 2021 if not already staying a 2020.
I actually heard back from my SA today who informed me the they were reissued the Spyder allocations. Then build is to be in July with delivery around August, and is expected to still be a MY 2020. So no price change is expected.
Anyone else with further news?
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 12:02 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
I actually heard back from my SA today who informed me the they were reissued the Spyder allocations. Then build is to be in July with delivery around August, and is expected to still be a MY 2020. So no price change is expected.
Anyone else with further news?
That’s good news! Glad to hear it!
Old 05-14-2020, 04:16 AM
PorschePaul
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
That was my experience and I hadn't purchased a car from the dealer before. It seems everyone is having varied luck with this.
I put a deposit down today for a Spyder allocation in So Cal at MSRP. Emailed 8 Ca dealers and all started with ADMs from $10K - $20K but some seemed negotiable. I went with the one dealer who started out at MSRP and has been great to deal with thus far.
The following 2 users liked this post by PorschePaul:
Jim Rockford (05-15-2020), n4v4nod (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 07:22 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Originally Posted by PorschePaul
I put a deposit down today for a Spyder allocation in So Cal at MSRP. Emailed 8 Ca dealers and all started with ADMs from $10K - $20K but some seemed negotiable. I went with the one dealer who started out at MSRP and has been great to deal with thus far.
Congratulations on finding an honest one.
If possible, try to get your car serviced there as well, to support the the non-stealerships.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:40 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorschePaul
Congrats Paul!
Old 05-15-2020, 04:40 PM
pbeezy
Rennlist Member

Wade Days at Park Place Porsche in Dallas got me setup. He said allocations are scare but available - it looks like mine will be a 2021. Wade is a good guy if anyone needs help.

Quick Reply: getting an allocation