Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Brushed Black Aluminium trim switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020 | 10:44 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Default Spyder Brushed Black Aluminium trim switch?

Just throwing a line in the water...

I have an allocation for a GT4 (waiting for new build date from SA because of COVID). I would like to get the black aluminium trim that is only available on the spyder and not even available as a special order for the GT4.

I was wondering if a fellow Spyder buyer in the Greater Montreal area (or wider radius...) who is getting a spyder and is considering either the brushed anthracite trim, the carbon trim or the painted trim (in gentian blue) would like to do a "trim trade". PM me if interested.

Original build date was mid may with delivery mid july. Now realistically it should be mid to late september delivery. Dealer probably reopens on may 4th so will inquire then!
Old 04-27-2020 | 10:58 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by kart125

I have an allocation for a GT4 (waiting for new build date from SA because of COVID). I would like to get the black aluminium trim that is only available on the spyder and not even available as a special order for the GT4.

I was wondering if a fellow Spyder buyer in the Greater Montreal area (or wider radius...) who is getting a spyder and is considering either the brushed anthracite trim, the carbon trim or the painted trim (in gentian blue) would like to do a "trim trade". PM me if interested.

Original build date was mid may with delivery mid july. Now realistically it should be mid to late september delivery. Dealer probably reopens on may 4th so will inquire then!
You might hit a snag on the switchover because the door cards are glued on trim, not removable I believe. You'd have to find someone with identical door / interior options to switch door cards.
Old 04-27-2020 | 11:04 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
You might hit a snag on the switchover because the door cards are glued on trim, not removable I believe. You'd have to find someone with identical door / interior options to switch door cards.
Thanks for info I did not know that! I will look into it a bit deeper to find info/how-to... might be more complicated than anticipated.

Here goes my dream of black aluminium trim😩
Old 04-27-2020 | 11:13 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

You are right changing door insert trim is a PITA... I’ve read a couple of threads on it in the 911 section.

will probably get brushed anthracite and wrap it if need be.
Old 04-27-2020 | 11:17 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

You are right changing door insert trim is a PITA... I’ve read a couple of threads on it in the 911 section.

will probably get brushed anthracite and wrap it if need be.
Carbon Trim is closer to colors youre going for than other brushed alum options, that could be an easier fix. You have buckets?
Old 04-27-2020 | 11:35 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
Carbon Trim is closer to colors youre going for than other brushed alum options, that could be an easier fix. You have buckets?
yes buckets. I know the carbon trim matches the buckets. I’m also considering it but find carbon a bit... 2010’s? Them there is the aluminium bar between the seats that stays the same no matter what trim you choose... impossible to get everything harmonized!
Old 04-28-2020 | 12:53 AM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

yes buckets. I know the carbon trim matches the buckets. I’m also considering it but find carbon a bit... 2010’s? Them there is the aluminium bar between the seats that stays the same no matter what trim you choose... impossible to get everything harmonized!
Comes down to the quality of the cf and what car it is in + what surrounds it. Porsche does CF well, it is why it is still so popular in alot of GT cars. The quality and weave looks really good. Now if it looked like CF in a modded honda, no dice. Haha.
The following users liked this post:
kart125 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020 | 12:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Thanks for info I did not know that! I will look into it a bit deeper to find info/how-to... might be more complicated than anticipated.

Here goes my dream of black aluminium trim😩
Don’t sweat it. Black aluminum isn’t awesome. It’s okay, but anthracite would likely look even better. The black aluminum marks fairly easily.

I had CF in my first Spyder (bought off lot) and it looked way better than I expected. Never been a big fan of decorative CF, but it really looked good. Surprised me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
kart125 (04-28-2020), Westcoast (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020 | 03:46 PM
theEnd
Instructor

I was thinking about black aluminum but decided to get black leather instead (against my dealer's advice). This is for a white Spyder with black leather / gray stitching.

Was also going to switch to black stitching because I don't like the white "Spyder" at the top of the seat, but my build locked so its too late to change.
Old 04-28-2020 | 03:51 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theEnd
I was thinking about black aluminum but decided to get black leather instead (against my dealer's advice). This is for a white Spyder with black leather / gray stitching.

Was also going to switch to black stitching because I don't like the white "Spyder" at the top of the seat, but my build locked so its too late to change.
You could black out the white spyder with some marker pen. I've seen folks on corvetteforum do that to add color to white stitching. I'm sure it would do the same to blackout white stitching. I think they are using special "dye" pens.
Old 04-28-2020 | 07:16 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

I ordered mine with the black aluminum trim but I am a little concerned about scratches too.
Old 04-28-2020 | 11:48 PM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

You are suffering from same disease as me: trying to get everything to match perfect!
The following users liked this post:
kart125 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020 | 11:59 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Toothengineer
You are suffering from same disease as me: trying to get everything to match perfect!
Desease? That, plus I'm a libra so I keep changing my mind everyday!

In these difficult times Rennlist is a therapy!
Old 04-29-2020 | 12:03 AM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

Desease? That, plus I'm a libra so I keep changing my mind everyday!

In these difficult times Rennlist is a therapy!
Same!!! Since the amount of work I am doing is sig less this has been my safe zone.... and to try to configuration a Spyder as matching as possible.
Old 04-29-2020 | 12:17 AM
Sausage416
Pro

i have the black aluminum trim on my incoming spyder ,I’ll gladly trade you for carbon fibre trim.

Quick Reply: Spyder Brushed Black Aluminium trim switch?