Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

ASS, GPF, Cylinder deactivation.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 06:51 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Default ***, GPF, Cylinder deactivation.

So managed to go for a drive today and get up to cruising speed.
Looks like we got some news features in the 718 GT4. Sort of surprised nobody has mentioned it before.

Auto Start Stop (***). When cruising if its on, 3 cylinders shut off on one side of the engine, then 8 seconds later it switches to the other side. It gives you a sort of stereo effect BRRRR. Automatically deactivtes when you put your foot down a bit. Turns on and off depending on load and waits longer for the first time.
Now I see why they close the exhaust flaps in this RPM range so to cut down on the BRRRR. I've already modified my exhaust flaps to open always. No probs I just turn *** off.
Previously if you stall the car you need to turn the ignition fully off in order to restart. Now it understands you screwed up and auto restarts the engine even if the *** is off. How good is that!
718GT4 does seem easier to stall than the 981 GT4.

I was told that here in Australia we do not get the GPF. Well I think we have it, and I bet everyone does.
After 400 kms mashing the pedal. I got zero soot in the exhaust tips, and I mean zero. Its still all shiny in there!!!
Lovin the extra torque 3000 to 5000 RPM. No dead zone now.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:36 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Previously if you stall the car you need to turn the ignition fully off in order to restart. Now it understands you screwed up and auto restarts the engine even if the *** is off. How good is that!
And you found this out how...?

I like your conspiracy theory about everyone getting the GPF’s. You’d better be wrong!
Old 04-26-2020, 09:55 AM
GAZZ
Pro

There must be a reason why I never stalled a 981 but the 718 is more touchy. Hmmm

The consumption on 6 cyl was 8.7L/100km and on 3 it was 7.7L/100km. Something I dont care about, haha.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:19 AM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Thx for this intel GAZZ. Nice to have someone with 981 & 718 experience commenting, your feedback is appreciated. Keep it coming!
Old 04-26-2020, 10:28 AM
elevensheep
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
Thx for this intel GAZZ. Nice to have someone with 981 & 718 experience commenting, your feedback is appreciated. Keep it coming!
Gazz has both
Old 04-26-2020, 10:45 AM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Thx ES hence my "someone with 981 & 718 experience commenting" he adds much value, keep it coming Gazz!.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:00 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Looks like we got some news features in the 718 GT4. Sort of surprised nobody has mentioned it before.

Auto Start Stop (***). When cruising if its on, 3 cylinders shut off on one side of the engine, then 8 seconds later it switches to the other side. It gives you a sort of stereo effect BRRRR. Automatically deactivtes when you put your foot down a bit. Turns on and off depending on load and waits longer for the first time.
Now I see why they close the exhaust flaps in this RPM range so to cut down on the BRRRR. I've already modified my exhaust flaps to open always. No probs I just turn *** off.

I was told that here in Australia we do not get the GPF. Well I think we have it, and I bet everyone does.
After 400 kms mashing the pedal. I got zero soot in the exhaust tips, and I mean zero. Its still all shiny in there!!!
Thanks for the feedback, great to hear first hand experiences!

FWIW both *** and Cylinder deactivation have been bashed around here. As for auto restart after a stall, that too has been around for years.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:37 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Ok, no worries, thanks, and happy to post stuff I find.
Dyno and bypass coming up soon as I can get the engine run in.

Currently I have 3 Caymans in the garage! The 987.2S as the "track car". The 981 is still looking for a new home.

Ha, funny, whenever I drove a Macan with *** the first thing I did was switch it off. lol. No *** for me, double lol.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:37 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

No *** for me, double lol.
I guess we won’t find this plate on your car then...

FWIW, I also am not a fan of *** (at least as it pertains to the start stop features on vehicles). Question: Does this car “remember” the last setting for *** on next start up? Or do you have to turn it off every time you start the car? I have had experience with both. BMW keeps last setting, Merc does not. Meaning *** is active every time you restart the engine. Very annoying and had to code it out.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:56 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Do you mind sharing how you did unplug the valves? I tried pulling the hose attached to the valve but wasn’t successful. Did you take the wheels or rear bumper off?
Old 04-26-2020, 02:40 PM
SpyderLegend
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Could you make a guide how to do that? With some pictures. Thank you very much.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:25 PM
Antipodean
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
Question: Does this car “remember” the last setting for *** on next start up? Or do you have to turn it off every time you start the car?.
In Australian cars, it defaults to active. It has to be turned off each time the car is started. This may not be the case for North American cars.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:33 PM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Antipodean
In Australian cars, it defaults to active. It has to be turned off each time the car is started. This may not be the case for North American cars.
It is not the case on US cars.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:36 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Antipodean
That’s disappointing. Will have to figure out how to code that to “off” permanently.

Speaking of which, I am new to the Porsche brand...what software do people generally use to code these vehicles??
Old 04-26-2020, 07:41 PM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
That’s disappointing. Will have to figure out how to code that to “off” permanently.

Speaking of which, I am new to the Porsche brand...what software do people generally use to code these vehicles??
It is very difficult to traditionally code Porsches like BMWs. You can tune it, but coding things like unlocking certain features is not widely done or possible without getting unlock codes from Porsche AG. Coding out the Auto Stop / Start will be a no-no unless you get it from Porsche AG.

Quick Reply: ASS, GPF, Cylinder deactivation.