Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Model Year Switchover

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020 | 10:38 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Default Model Year Switchover

Anyone know if there's a consistent model year switchover timing Porsche follows? I have a car on order but with the factory shutdown and who knows what other delays factoring in on the other side of that, I would assume we're going to start encroaching on the switchover timing for 2021 model year.

My concern is then what happens to the pricing as the intent of the order from the outset was 20 model year, and the risk that they will make changes in available colours or equipment that I don't view as favourable. On the flipside, things could work out directionally positive, but I'd rather not have to take on the risk in finding out.

Old 04-22-2020 | 10:55 AM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

Been wondering the same as I was looking to finalize my build / spec sometimes this fall or winter.
Old 04-22-2020 | 11:10 AM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Anyone know if there's a consistent model year switchover timing Porsche follows? I have a car on order but with the factory shutdown and who knows what other delays factoring in on the other side of that, I would assume we're going to start encroaching on the switchover timing for 2021 model year.

My concern is then what happens to the pricing as the intent of the order from the outset was 20 model year, and the risk that they will make changes in available colours or equipment that I don't view as favourable. On the flipside, things could work out directionally positive, but I'd rather not have to take on the risk in finding out.
I wouldn't worry about any changes of merit between 718 GT4 model years, Porsche doesn't usually make massive changes just a year later (maybe they'll add a couple more colors from GTS line). The MY designation is typically cars made after June are for the next year from what I've experienced on other vehicles.
Old 04-22-2020 | 11:57 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

The only thing I would expect is PDK availability and slightly higher prices.
Old 04-22-2020 | 12:00 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The only thing I would expect is PDK availability and slightly higher prices.
Ha, forgot about the PDK option that will become available. Curious how much faster it will make the GT4/Spyder. I wish I liked PDK/Auto, I would wait for it.
Old 04-22-2020 | 12:01 PM
soupy
Racer

They might extend the 2020MY for this car longer than usual like they did for the 991.2 GT3s, but I don't think the MY is what dictates all these changes. Porsche will change it as they see fit whenever they want especially with options. Unfortunately, I can see a jump for pricing soon for our Canadian friends due to exchange rate adjustments like they did for the 992s. For me, if they decide to drop Miami Blue and not replace it with any other interesting blues or greens I might switch my order down to a GTS or not buy at all.
Old 04-22-2020 | 12:51 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
I wouldn't worry about any changes of merit between 718 GT4 model years, Porsche doesn't usually make massive changes just a year later (maybe they'll add a couple more colors from GTS line). The MY designation is typically cars made after June are for the next year from what I've experienced on other vehicles.
I don't want to open a whole discussion about buying vs. leasing as there are some legit reasons why people lease cars. One thing to consider here is the lease residual. Typically, the lease residual drops as the calendar moves closer to a new model year (i.e. best residuals are generally offered in the fall of new model year) so I can foresee a situation where the residuals will be reduced as a consequence of these delays. Something to think about for those that are considering leasing.
Old 04-22-2020 | 01:20 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Typical (not always) changeover is after the August summer break factory shut down. They use this time to adjust the factory lines for any changes. Rumor is that won’t be the case this year and that the MY will extend longer. Rumor also is that PDK will also be delayed. Additionally, not related to the changeover (or is?) Miami Blue is being phased out starting August and will be replaced with Shark Blue which is rumored to be the new 992 GT3 color... lot of rumors above and the only bit confirmed is the discontinuation of Miami Blue in August.
Old 04-22-2020 | 06:21 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
I don't want to open a whole discussion about buying vs. leasing as there are some legit reasons why people lease cars. One thing to consider here is the lease residual. Typically, the lease residual drops as the calendar moves closer to a new model year (i.e. best residuals are generally offered in the fall of new model year) so I can foresee a situation where the residuals will be reduced as a consequence of these delays. Something to think about for those that are considering leasing.
Good shout, did not think of that. Covid effect should play into that as well for lower rates etc.
Old 04-24-2020 | 12:44 PM
sedwards911
Intermediate

Getting closer!

Quick Reply: Model Year Switchover