Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Finally my new black GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 10:33 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Gazz - the black and gold looks fantastic. However, I have a serious question for you - what are your expectations for this car?
This is a cryptic line of questioning. Interesting...
Old 04-19-2020, 12:36 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Gazz - the black and gold looks fantastic. However, I have a serious question for you - what are your expectations for this car?
Hmm. Its ticking almost all the boxes, but I've resigned myself to the fact it will never be the perfect car I want. 550HP, multilink suspension, crazy aero etc. But one thing the GT4 excels in, is as a daily driver, and the fact that it is also a great track car when needed is awesome. I so much pefer driving this as a daily and going to the local hardware store to pick up plants or pool chemicals etc than say if it was in a Ferrari or Lambo or whatever.

The following users liked this post:
Yellow Submarine (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 01:11 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Hmm. Its ticking almost all the boxes, but I've resigned myself to the fact it will never be the perfect car I want. 550HP, multilink suspension, crazy aero etc. But one thing the GT4 excels in, is as a daily driver, and the fact that it is also a great track car when needed is awesome. I so much pefer driving this as a daily and going to the local hardware store to pick up plants or pool chemicals etc than say if it was in a Ferrari or Lambo or whatever.
Ok got it - good blend of general use and a squirt round a track a few times a year. More for fun rather than just shooting for times. The sports plus seats are excellent too.

I hope Porsche pull out all the stops on the GT4 RS - I suspect I'm going to be disappointed.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:36 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

I hope Porsche pull out all the stops on the GT4 RS - I suspect I'm going to be disappointed.
How many times has Porsche not followed their formula of iterative improvement? Logic says it'll be PDK, more aero, a bit more HP from same 4.0, a bit less weight (more carbon fiber), but unlikely any substantial changes like a new rear multi-link suspension.
DFW01TT (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 02:41 AM
GAZZ
Pro

I'd jump to the GT4RS if it was manual.
The crazy thing is my modified (just bolt-ons) 987.2S with A050s on is slightly faster than the GT4 (neg 2 camber setup, Trofeo R) around the track. 987.2 pulls 2.1Gs in the corner, such fun. So for me I would need more mods on the 981GT4 to get to the next level on a car that is now 5 years old. Thus one reason to start with a 718GT4.
The 987.2 won club outright comp 3 times. Cant now due to too many much newer and faster 911s'.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:36 AM
groundhog
Race Car

The crazy thing is my modified (just bolt-ons) 987.2S with A050s on is slightly faster than the GT4 (neg 2 camber setup, Trofeo R) around the track. 987.2 pulls 2.1Gs in the corner, such fun. So for me I would need more mods on the 981GT4 to get to the next level on a car that is now 5 years old. Thus one reason to start with a 718GT4.
The 987.2 won club outright comp 3 times. Cant now due to too many much newer and faster 911s'.
Yes, a lot of people seriously underestimate a well set up Cayman (as long as it is S or above). Enjoy the GT4.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-20-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:39 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
How many times has Porsche not followed their formula of iterative improvement? Logic says it'll be PDK, more aero, a bit more HP from same 4.0, a bit less weight (more carbon fiber), but unlikely any substantial changes like a new rear multi-link suspension.
The RS moniker is the top of the line, the best the GT division can deliver for a particular generation................The GT3 RS is a very special car, there is no reason why the GT4 RS can't be as special as the GT3 RS...........if its not, there really isn't that much point to it.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:54 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

The RS moniker is the top of the line, the best the GT division can deliver for a particular generation................The GT3 RS is a very special car, there is no reason why the GT4 RS can't be as special as the GT3 RS...........if its not, there really isn't that much point to it.
I guess it would take a 3 to likely be as special. Keeping it at a GT4 rung and even as an RS gives them latitude in the hierarchy to make it less than a GT3 I suppose. Interesting when you start to think about this, I guess there’s no reason there couldn’t be a GT3 and GT3 RS version of a Cayman. Or is there some ancient law carved into a tree in the Black Forest somewhere forbidding?
Old 04-20-2020, 04:48 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

Porsche has a very specific price/perf target. You've probably seen the graphs posted before. The best GT4RS would have a GT3 engine which is simply not happening. It's not as though Porsche isn't able to produce a multi-link rear suspension since there are aftermarket options. I'm one who would eagerly pay GT3 money for a GT4RS that had the GT3 engine and was 6MT (I'd even pay the PDK charge to get 6MT as a "free" option!). Not going to happen.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:13 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Porsche has a very specific price/perf target. You've probably seen the graphs posted before. The best GT4RS would have a GT3 engine which is simply not happening. It's not as though Porsche isn't able to produce a multi-link rear suspension since there are aftermarket options. I'm one who would eagerly pay GT3 money for a GT4RS that had the GT3 engine and was 6MT (I'd even pay the PDK charge to get 6MT as a "free" option!). Not going to happen.
I agree with this thinking, Porsche is too cautious to **** off their GT3 base and make Caymans somewhat equal or better. It's what started it all, you don't slap the hand that feeds you as they say...
Old 04-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
I agree with this thinking, Porsche is too cautious to **** off their GT3 base and make Caymans somewhat equal or better. It's what started it all, you don't slap the hand that feeds you as they say...
For sure. You can bet there are many a boardroom discussion about this balance. With most car companies it is discussions around price elasticity, with Porsche it’s surely about power elasticity.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:41 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

You can have that if you want.
550 HP;
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1175...ort-build.html
Multilink;
https://www.autoquestcars.com/custom-09

Love the house!
GAZZ (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 01:21 AM
elevensheep
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, so thats it, its 24 hours old and I'm off to the shop. I dont care. lets go.
Up on the hoist and we are doing the exhaust flap bypass. Bit of shame, but lets give it a go. By now you can properly tell that I’m a passionate car guy and love the mid engine Porsche. The exhaust on the 981 was perfect, it got neutered. Anyway... So its now an improvement for sure, but as the engine tuning is all Planet friendly, down shifts are still silent.
I can still hear the cylinder cut at various load / speed / RPM combos which results in a burr sound. - Whatever.

Sorry for the rant at the end but I had to let it out. Still love the car, I highly reccomend it.
Thanks Porsche for all the improvements. Exhaust dept, please explain yourself.
Did you end up doing the bypass? Was it easy to do and did you like the improvements?
Old 04-21-2020, 01:42 AM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting you brought up the 987.2S vs. 981 GT4, great data point on the corners, but how do you feel about the power to weight between the two? Is the modified 987.2 w/ 3.4L mill feel about just as fast as the GT4 that is slighly heavier? I did math before and the power to weight is pretty much even I think.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:15 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by elevensheep
Did you end up doing the bypass? Was it easy to do and did you like the improvements?
Yes, easy. Unplug the vacc lines to the actuators and plug the ends. Definitely much better but still needs work, such as a GPF bypass. Well at least for me.

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
Interesting you brought up the 987.2S vs. 981 GT4, great data point on the corners, but how do you feel about the power to weight between the two? Is the modified 987.2 w/ 3.4L mill feel about just as fast as the GT4 that is slighly heavier? I did math before and the power to weight is pretty much even I think.
The cars are very similar but the GT4 is a bit quicker in a straight line. The massive advantage for the 987.2 is running the ultra soft rubber (A050) which is only available in Australia or Japan. A050 are the best bare none, even better than slicks but can overheat after one lap. Imagine if you did AutoX in the US and imported these tyres yourself, you would go from mid field to the top in one step.

Quick Reply: Finally my new black GT4