Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Finally my new black GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020 | 12:38 PM
718GT4.0
User

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Yes the front is higher by 16mm (0.63"). Not forgeting the 981 has this flexible down lip which must be about 10mm lower than the main assembly. 718 does not have the same thing.
On all my feedback forms I compained about the front lip scraping. Maybe they listened??
Still looks like it has a low scoop and it looks better.

Did you notice anything about the tiles?
That's great, everyone was initially saying this car would be harder to clear dips
Old 04-17-2020 | 12:39 PM
718GT4.0
User

Originally Posted by Westcoast
@needmoregarage Cylinder deactivation is defeated when you turn off auto stop/start.
This keeps coming up lol, so many people don't realize it's a non issue if you don't it to be active.
Old 04-17-2020 | 02:18 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by 718GT4.0
This keeps coming up lol, so many people don't realize it's a non issue if you don't it to be active.
I think people are getting auto start/stop function mixed up with the cylinder deactivation.
You can only turn off the auto start stop, this is not the 3 cylinder deactivation used to save fuel when cruising slow.
Old 04-17-2020 | 02:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think people are getting auto start/stop function mixed up with the cylinder deactivation.
You can only turn off the auto start stop, this is not the 3 cylinder deactivation used to save fuel when cruising slow.
Fully understand that these are two different functions, but it was my understanding that turning off auto Stop/Start this also turned off cylinder deactivation?

Even if it doesn't cylinder deactivation only comes in during low performance driving situations, not an issue for me!
Old 04-18-2020 | 12:18 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

2 Day review.
Steering seems a little lighter than the 981, but that may be due to -1 camber setup on the 981. I don’t know what the 718 default is. Good.
Clutch is slightly lighter. Good
Gearing, cant tell any difference and it should be the same.
People are really going to love this car and it will be interesting to hear about the comments on the EXHAUST after more cars are delivered!
So hear we go...
Its crap. That’s it, I said it. Its pathetic. Hell, my wives late 2019 AMG C63S sounds a ficken ton better (not comparing engine types) and way way louder and it meets Euro 6 (pretty sure). As I mentioned before the down shifts are dead, dont bother with bliping or H&T because I cant get no satisfaction. So disappointed. F**K. I know some of you will like a wimpy leaf blower sound but not me. Idle is not too bad, but I cant sit and just do that. Dont even mention crackles and pops because thats a no no.
OK, so thats it, its 24 hours old and I'm off to the shop. I dont care. lets go.
Up on the hoist and we are doing the exhaust flap bypass. Bit of shame, but lets give it a go. By now you can properly tell that I’m a passionate car guy and love the mid engine Porsche. The exhaust on the 981 was perfect, it got neutered. Anyway... So its now an improvement for sure, but as the engine tuning is all Planet friendly, down shifts are still silent.
I can still hear the cylinder cut at various load / speed / RPM combos which results in a burr sound. - Whatever.

Sorry for the rant at the end but I had to let it out. Still love the car, I highly reccomend it.
Thanks Porsche for all the improvements. Exhaust dept, please explain yourself.
Congratulations, GAZZ. Looks sharp. Love the garage as well. Don't know if you've a bar in there. If not, set one up, with a few comfy chairs and a big screen TV with a kick-*** audio setup. You'll have a proper man-cave!!

Steering, Clutch: Lighter than 981 may not be a good thing, for me. Wish they didn't mess with those.
Gearing: No change from 981. Actually, bit worse. The Vmax in second, for instance, is higher. Personally, I would prefer lower speed near redline.

Now, to the real deal: the Sound!! I really appreciate your candid, honest and objective views. It is common for owners to rationalize the shortcomings and gloss over; understandable. So, it is great to hear your honest feedback.

Does your car have Particulate Filter (PF)? If not, does it have the inert devices to provide the requisite back-pressure? My understanding is that those inert devices have an effect on sound. Still, Euro 6 has explicit mandate on sound levels. So, PF/Inert Devices or not, the sound levels are lower than 981, by design. The PF deals with CO2 levels which has an indirect effect on sound. The Inert Devices muffle the sound as well.

To me, this is deeply disappointing!! I'm on the list for the Spyder, since 981 Spyder's production ended!! I've no doubt, as you noted as well, that 982 ups the ante in every single metric, tangible and intangible. But, I'm a sound-guy. The 982 needs to sound as good as the 981. If not, I'm out!

Please post up what you find with exhaust mods. But, any mod needs to be CARB-compliant in California, for me. That is very unlikely. I'm really hoping for a better outcome in the coming months when we'll have US-spec Spyders fully run-in.
Old 04-18-2020 | 12:22 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Fully understand that these are two different functions, but it was my understanding that turning off auto Stop/Start this also turned off cylinder deactivation?

Even if it doesn't cylinder deactivation only comes in during low performance driving situations, not an issue for me!
If we had an owner’s manual we could get to the bottom of such things.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Rockford:
911F1 (04-18-2020), Westcoast (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020 | 12:36 PM
Antipodean
Instructor

Pressing the "A" button on the console turns off both auto start-stop and cylinder bank switching.
The following 4 users liked this post by Antipodean:
911F1 (04-18-2020), CDACH (04-19-2020), DFW01TT (04-20-2020), Westcoast (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020 | 04:42 PM
718GT4.0
User

In the US, you turn off auto start/stop, it does deactivate the 3 cyl. This has been discussed quite a few times from what I've seen.
Old 04-18-2020 | 04:44 PM
718GT4.0
User

Originally Posted by Antipodean
Pressing the "A" button on the console turns off both auto start-stop and cylinder bank switching.
100%
Old 04-18-2020 | 04:48 PM
718GT4.0
User

While the new engine employs the usual composite oil pan, forged pistons, and plasma-coated cylinders, it’s the first flat-six Porsche to feature cylinder deactivation. Deactivating the auto stop-start function disables the cylinder deactivation.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...4-photos-info/
Old 04-18-2020 | 11:47 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Vmax in second is only higher because of the new higher redline.

You can download the manual if you have your VIN number from myporsche.
Old 04-18-2020 | 11:55 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Vmax in second is only higher because of the new higher redline.

You can download the manual if you have your VIN number from myporsche.
Sadly that’s not an option as I have a V200 but no car yet and therefore no VIN.
Old 04-19-2020 | 12:15 AM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

Lovely truly lovely
Old 04-19-2020 | 02:05 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Just went for a spin where I could finally do freeway speeds. I confirm that the auto start stop button does indeed deactivate the cylinder cut. Yay.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020 | 07:52 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Gazz - the black and gold looks fantastic. However, I have a serious question for you - what are your expectations for this car?

Quick Reply: Finally my new black GT4