Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Finally my new black GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020 | 04:33 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
GAZZ - did you notice the cylinder deactivation? I read an account that it is quite noticeable. How can it be overridden aside from shifting down and back up again?
Yes you can! Give it some beans!

(The Car Guys TV reference)

Seriously, is it such a problem? Yes, I can hear it in slow traffic. The exhaust tone changes. It's just another thing that tickles the senses. Something is going on behind you.. Don't judge before you experienced it.

The dealer gave me a Macan the other day to use while my Spyder was in for the day to replace the right fuel line (recall). It was the 180 pk 2,0. It's comfy and practical but I couldn't feel a thing. I could not hear the engine. To me, it was just transport with zero driving pleasure. I presume the V6 is a nicer choice but still.. I felt so happy when I drove the Spyder back home! It's alive!
Old 04-16-2020 | 11:14 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

I don't believe there is any any evidence to confirm that the dampers are different between 981 GT4 and 718 GT4.... can someone provide a source?
PASM tuning yes... there is a difference... I own 981 GT4 and have driven 718 GT4 and 718 Spyder back in December.
Adding a DSC to a 981 GT4 does make it ride softer..similar to a 718 GT4, on the road, at road speeds - i purchased and installed v3 in December... plus you get the other dynamic benefits of DSC.
Old 04-16-2020 | 11:41 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Well actually they are remote controlled bollards.
The tiles in the garage are the same as in a Porsche dealer. - That cost haha.
I thought that the tiles were the same as the dealership, nice touch.

So are the bollards for theft security? You say remote control, in other words triggered by an alarm? If so that poor GT4 could get an unwelcomed prod up the back end!
Old 04-16-2020 | 12:50 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I thought that the tiles were the same as the dealership, nice touch.

So are the bollards for theft security? You say remote control, in other words triggered by an alarm? If so that poor GT4 could get an unwelcomed prod up the back end!
Electrically operated bollards by PIN code for security when needed.
Old 04-16-2020 | 01:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Electrically operated bollards by PIN code for security when needed.
Interesting, I am familiar with the principle but have never seen it implemented in a non-commercial setting...
The following users liked this post:
wdr911 (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020 | 07:14 PM
Mc21
Rennlist Member

Any side profile shots of your car with the Salter Aero risers?
Old 04-16-2020 | 09:09 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mc21
Any side profile shots of your car with the Salter Aero risers?
Can you do a straight rear photo too?
Old 04-17-2020 | 08:46 AM
GAZZ
Pro

The following 6 users liked this post by GAZZ:
718GT4.0 (04-17-2020), DFW01TT (04-20-2020), GT3NY (04-17-2020), kart125 (04-17-2020), masti99 (04-18-2020), Yellow Submarine (04-17-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-17-2020 | 08:58 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Looks badass from the rear with the risers!!
Old 04-17-2020 | 09:35 AM
alexk79
Advanced

Congratulations! Love your spec. especially the risers. Greetings from Cape Town.
Old 04-17-2020 | 09:55 AM
GAZZ
Pro

2 Day review.
What’s different:
I cant say all this is 100% accurate but this is the impression so far.
Steering seems a little lighter than the 981, but that may be due to -1 camber setup on the 981. I don’t know what the 718 default is. Good.
PASM normal seems slighter softer. Good.
Clutch is slightly lighter. Good
Clutch engagement same as before, and it was pretty perfect before. Good.
Brakes require less effort and have more modulation control. Good.
Compared to the 18 way seats in the 981, I prefer the standard seats in the 718. You can set them lower down. I never used the multi-adjust before. Good.
Engine torque is better than before. Kinda expected that and it is much more linear. Good
Gearing, cant tell any difference and it should be the same.
Tyres supplied are the MPSC2. Pretty happy with those.
The rear view mirror is a different shape and seems to have better rear visability.
Like the rear view camera now. Has the expected steering guide indication.
To check the battery is a lot more problematic as you have to mess about with the rubber seal now. Looks better, but really?
The engine has a bit of a ping ping sound. Odd. It goes away after about 15 mins driving. Maybe that will improve after its run in.

In all, every single thing is better and improved, except for that one thing we already know about.
I could rant on about the differences between a 987.1S, a 987.2S, a 981GT4 and the 718GT4 as I have owned all 4 (only sold the 987.1S), and they have been my daily drivers and tracks cars since 2006, but Im not sure people want to hear all that!

People are really going to love this car and it will be interesting to hear about the comments on the EXHAUST after more cars are delivered!
So hear we go...
Its crap. That’s it, I said it. Its pathetic. Hell, my wives late 2019 AMG C63S sounds a ficken ton better (not comparing engine types) and way way louder and it meets Euro 6 (pretty sure). As I mentioned before the down shifts are dead, dont bother with bliping or H&T because I cant get no satisfaction. So disappointed. F**K. I know some of you will like a wimpy leaf blower sound but not me. Idle is not too bad, but I cant sit and just do that. Dont even mention crackles and pops because thats a no no.
OK, so thats it, its 24 hours old and I'm off to the shop. I dont care. lets go.
Up on the hoist and we are doing the exhaust flap bypass. Bit of shame, but lets give it a go. By now you can properly tell that I’m a passionate car guy and love the mid engine Porsche. The exhaust on the 981 was perfect, it got neutered. Anyway... So its now an improvement for sure, but as the engine tuning is all Planet friendly, down shifts are still silent.
I can still hear the cylinder cut at various load / speed / RPM combos which results in a burr sound. - Whatever.

Sorry for the rant at the end but I had to let it out. Still love the car, I highly reccomend it.
Thanks Porsche for all the improvements. Exhaust dept, please explain yourself.

The following 7 users liked this post by GAZZ:
DFW01TT (04-20-2020), Hdizzle (04-25-2020), Jim Rockford (04-18-2020), masti99 (04-18-2020), rodsky (04-20-2020), RyuBraska (04-17-2020), spyderphile (04-18-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-17-2020 | 11:06 AM
Dbridges
Intermediate

Great update, thanks for that! What exactly do you mean "exhaust flap bypass"? Are you removing the valve? Photos please!
Old 04-17-2020 | 11:26 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2 Day review.
What’s different:
I cant say all this is 100% accurate but this is the impression so far.
Steering seems a little lighter than the 981, but that may be due to -1 camber setup on the 981. I don’t know what the 718 default is. Good.
PASM normal seems slighter softer. Good.
Clutch is slightly lighter. Good
Clutch engagement same as before, and it was pretty perfect before. Good.
Brakes require less effort and have more modulation control. Good.
Compared to the 18 way seats in the 981, I prefer the standard seats in the 718. You can set them lower down. I never used the multi-adjust before. Good.
Engine torque is better than before. Kinda expected that and it is much more linear. Good
Gearing, cant tell any difference and it should be the same.
Tyres supplied are the MPSC2. Pretty happy with those.
The rear view mirror is a different shape and seems to have better rear visability.
Like the rear view camera now. Has the expected steering guide indication.
To check the battery is a lot more problematic as you have to mess about with the rubber seal now. Looks better, but really?
The engine has a bit of a ping ping sound. Odd. It goes away after about 15 mins driving. Maybe that will improve after its run in.

In all, every single thing is better and improved, except for that one thing we already know about.
I could rant on about the differences between a 987.1S, a 987.2S, a 981GT4 and the 718GT4 as I have owned all 4 (only sold the 987.1S), and they have been my daily drivers and tracks cars since 2006, but Im not sure people want to hear all that!

People are really going to love this car and it will be interesting to hear about the comments on the EXHAUST after more cars are delivered!
So hear we go...
Its crap. That’s it, I said it. Its pathetic. Hell, my wives late 2019 AMG C63S sounds a ficken ton better (not comparing engine types) and way way louder and it meets Euro 6 (pretty sure). As I mentioned before the down shifts are dead, dont bother with bliping or H&T because I cant get no satisfaction. So disappointed. F**K. I know some of you will like a wimpy leaf blower sound but not me. Idle is not too bad, but I cant sit and just do that. Dont even mention crackles and pops because thats a no no.
OK, so thats it, its 24 hours old and I'm off to the shop. I dont care. lets go.
Up on the hoist and we are doing the exhaust flap bypass. Bit of shame, but lets give it a go. By now you can properly tell that I’m a passionate car guy and love the mid engine Porsche. The exhaust on the 981 was perfect, it got neutered. Anyway... So its now an improvement for sure, but as the engine tuning is all Planet friendly, down shifts are still silent.
I can still hear the cylinder cut at various load / speed / RPM combos which results in a burr sound. - Whatever.

Sorry for the rant at the end but I had to let it out. Still love the car, I highly reccomend it.
Thanks Porsche for all the improvements. Exhaust dept, please explain yourself.
Regarding bolded, you appear to have a few bucks, why not just get an after market exhaust system, something like the JCR would liven up the exhaust note quite a bit...
Old 04-17-2020 | 11:34 AM
katzndogs
Instructor

The wing risers look great. Perhaps you (or anyone else with experience) can answer this question for me: Given the increase in down force due to the heightened position of the wing, can we assume that the front and rear aero balance is no longer what Porsche engineered into the car? And if so, would this even be perceptible to most people?

Thank you and enjoy in good health!
Old 04-17-2020 | 12:22 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by Dbridges
Great update, thanks for that! What exactly do you mean "exhaust flap bypass"? Are you removing the valve? Photos please!
Im disconnecting the vaccum line to the exhaust valve actuators which leaves them in the open postion. Plug the end of the braided line, and thats it. Its an old mod which is known for various model Porsche cars.

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Regarding bolded, you appear to have a few bucks, why not just get an after market exhaust system, something like the JCR would liven up the exhaust note quite a bit...
Something will be happening thats for sure. At the moment there are very few products available. Need to run the engine in first so I can do a Dyno run.

Originally Posted by katzndogs
The wing risers look great. Perhaps you (or anyone else with experience) can answer this question for me: Given the increase in down force due to the heightened position of the wing, can we assume that the front and rear aero balance is no longer what Porsche engineered into the car? And if so, would this even be perceptible to most people?
Thank you and enjoy in good health!
Cheers.
Its true there will be more rear downforce with the wing higher up, but it only becomes significant at very high speed. Lets say around or above 230 Kph (143 Mph) but its not like its then going to be so high as to cause a massive problem, and in any case, I can hardly ever go that speed at a track or whatever. I did close to that at a track before and did not notice any adverse effect on the 981GT4 with the risers. So its more of a looks thing. You can always add front carards to balance better if you are doing a lot of high speed track work. Also members have published data here on that subject.
The following users liked this post:
Dbridges (04-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Finally my new black GT4